Sign in with
Your question

DDR3 1066 or 1333 w/ i5 650

Last response: in Memory
January 27, 2010 3:22:35 PM

I just purchased an i5 650 CPU today from Microcenter ($119). I'll be pairing it with a Gigabyte GA-H55M-S2H mobo and currently have a single stick of 2GB DDR3 1066 Crucial RAM.

The 1066 is what the store had in stock and the single 2GB is just because I'm trying to stay in a budget for the moment - I'll likely add a second 2GB stick in the coming months.

The i5 650 (and the mobo) accepts DDR3 1066 or 1333 RAM. I do not plan on overclocking. From what I've read in general, there shouldn't be much of a difference between the two speeds - but I haven't seen anything specifically about the i5 650 (here at the TH forums, or elsewhere).

Will using DDR3 1066 RAM affect the CPU's ability to self-overclock (turbo whatever Intel calls it)? Will 1333 RAM offer any significant improvements in general? I've got it on hand and would like to start this build - and basically don't want to spend the time and money driving an hour out to the store that does stock the 1333 RAM. (which may sound lazy, but my available free time for such things is incredibly slim!)

This machine may do some video editing, some music recording, and possibly some very basic Flash work. As it stands, it will be an improvement over my other two desktops (a P4 3.2 HT and a P4 1.9), so what I have on hand will probably seem pretty fast, but if the 1333 RAM is worth a little extra time and money (and waiting to build), I would consider it.

More about : ddr3 1066 1333 650

a b } Memory
January 27, 2010 5:24:25 PM

the16points said:
From what I've read in general, there shouldn't be much of a difference between the two speeds - but I haven't seen anything specifically about the i5 650 (here at the TH forums, or elsewhere).

Will using DDR3 1066 RAM affect the CPU's ability to self-overclock (turbo whatever Intel calls it)? Will 1333 RAM offer any significant improvements in general?

If you haven't seen this yet, give it a read (granted, it's not about the i5 650): http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i7-870-1156,24...
In some benchmarks, 1066 beats 1333. It comes down to timings. You probably won't see much difference between the 133 and 1066, but the lower your timings the better. Even where there is a difference, it's fairly small. You'll get a bigger benefit when you move from 2 GB to 4 GB.

Using 1066 RAM vs 1333 even vs 1600 does not affect the CPU's Turbo ability. You'll get the same "self-overclock" regardless of RAM frequency.
m
l
January 27, 2010 5:48:04 PM

ekoostik said:
If you haven't seen this yet, give it a read (granted, it's not about the i5 650): http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i7-870-1156,24...
In some benchmarks, 1066 beats 1333. It comes down to timings. You probably won't see much difference between the 133 and 1066, but the lower your timings the better. Even where there is a difference, it's fairly small. You'll get a bigger benefit when you move from 2 GB to 4 GB.

Using 1066 RAM vs 1333 even vs 1600 does not affect the CPU's Turbo ability. You'll get the same "self-overclock" regardless of RAM frequency.

That's a great link, thanks - I think I was searching too specifically for "i5 650 DDR3" articles here. It does tend to verify what I was reading elsewhere, re: latencies, etc.

The benchmark for Premiere Pro does stand out, though, since that is my editing application (and I assume After Effects might have similar results as well). Not sure if it's enough to warrant getting 1333, though. Good stuff to think on, though, thanks.
m
l
Related resources
a b } Memory
January 29, 2010 2:41:09 AM

Glad it worked out for you. Be sure to post back with how the build goes.
m
l
a b } Memory
January 29, 2010 2:53:36 AM

Better for same price is always a good deal. So what CAS# did you end up with?
m
l
January 29, 2010 3:14:30 AM

ekoostik said:
Better for same price is always a good deal. So what CAS# did you end up with?

The Crucials are CAS 9 - it's the same stick as here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If I did my math right based on the thread I linked to above, the true latency difference is very slim, so I opted for faster speed at the same price.

Hopefully the build will go well. My previous builds and upgrades have largely been based on NewEgg parts - this is the first time I've gotten everything from Microcenter. Their price on the i5 just couldn't be beat. If everything works, I'll probably be happy regardless - I'm gutting my old P4 1.9Ghz machine to do this one. A machine with a path Intel abandoned so long ago that I had to build my P4 3.2 Ghz system years ago because there was nowhere else to go with the other mobo.

I'm not a gamer, I'm a pretty low-key hobbyist, and even my video editing is in standard def (a new HD cam will be in cards only if I start picking up freelance clients again), but I do like to get the best bang for my buck. Even if it means spending half my day trying to get a Microcenter employee to confirm they have the memory I want in stock...
m
l
a b } Memory
January 29, 2010 10:23:41 AM

Similar situation here. I just replaced my P4 1.5 GHz this past September. That thing was so bad it's possible the only way I wouldn't have been satisfied with an upgrade is if it never turned on! Good luck with your build.
m
l
January 29, 2010 12:55:18 PM

ekoostik said:
I knew that RAM sounded familiar, so I went hunting. You should not be disappointed with it. It is the star of Tom's value RAM review, and I've seen them use it in other reveiews since: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ddr3-4gb-p55,2462.h...

Yeah, that was another driving factor. That 1333 has gotten good marks here and elsewhere (typically for the 4GB kit, but I assume the individual 2GB sticks are the same as the kit ones), and Crucial has always been good for me. I just wish the price on the kit hadn't gone up $20-$30+ since folks reviewed it.

I really wanted to go ahead and get the 4GB, but didn't want to drop $100+ total on memory right now, especially since I just finished a low-budget LGA775 HTPC build a couple weeks back (Dual core E6300 2.8 Ghz Wolfdale) and only decided to do this second build because I was annoyed that the new Hulu/Netflix box in the living room was faster than my old desktop pc!
m
l
!