Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Gaming

Last response: in CPUs
October 31, 2009 7:56:11 AM

Hello...
I want to play halo 2 and COD2 and 4 on my PC but i'm worried about my video card.

PC Specifications:
I want to know how i can play halo 2 or COD4 and 2 on an Acer Aspire L3600!

System specs:

Ram: 2038 Mb
Prossessor: Intel core2 duo E4600 @ 2.40 Ghz
Video card: 286 Mb Intel G33/G31 express chip-set family
Chip type: Intel GMA 3100

Everything is fine except the video card i have no shaders and not much video RAM and since it is a small CPU (slimline). It is hard to fit a card in. I can play halo alright but i really want to play number 2.

Plz help coz i love halo

P.S i am quite a nerd but this one has tricked me so any help would be great!!!

More about : gaming

October 31, 2009 8:20:46 AM

yeah i've looked on there.

I cant open the case coz i don't really know what i'm doing when it comes to video cards...
ummm could u suggest somthing else...
Related resources
October 31, 2009 8:22:45 AM

Well you're going to need a discrete card one way or another. If you're not willing to crack open your case and install a card then you're going to need a new computer.
October 31, 2009 8:37:24 AM

oi listen how do u get a photo onto your profile
October 31, 2009 8:40:11 AM

no i will get a pro to do it for me but my PC is really small here are the measurements:

Width:4cm
Hight: 27cm
Length:19cm
a b à CPUs
October 31, 2009 11:30:01 AM

If this is your computer, http://hardwaretechreview.com/acer-aspire-l3600-review
you are out of luck. Aside from its small size, it doesn't have any external slot for a GPU anyway. If you want to game, you'll be looking at a different computer all together or the Xbox 360. Sorry man.
October 31, 2009 8:50:22 PM

Yeah i think so.... :( 

But i'm not going to get a whole new PC....
anyway dad might get me an xbox in a month coz i've been asking him for ages and we went looking at them the other day.

thanks for all your help u guys are great...
October 31, 2009 8:54:10 PM

Oi that is the exact same photo and thats wat it looks like thanks for putting on there so other people can look...

what is the best xbox u can buy...????
October 31, 2009 9:19:03 PM

Skora that is exactly what it is your a champ! :) 

Though i am dissapointed about not being able to play halo 2 or COD4 :pfff: 

Anyways i am not going to spend a fortune on getting a new PC!!
I am just going to get an xbox 360 elite so that i can play halo 2, 3, and ODST, and reach beta.

Also can i play COD2 or just COD on my PC...
November 1, 2009 1:01:08 AM

so skora your saying that i can play COD2 on it.

And can u tell me how much these cards cost carpand??

Also can i upgrade this system to windows 7

Oi dogman can u tell me how much memory it has coz i need 512 or more...
November 1, 2009 1:04:10 AM

The ODST said:
so skora your saying that i can play COD2 on it.

And can u tell me how much these cards cost carpand??

Also can i upgrade this system to windows 7

Oi dogman can u tell me how much memory it has coz i need 512 or more...

try this link: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Or in my above post I had a 9500gt.. If they fit I'm fairly confident that either can play those games on that setup, the 9600gt for sure. Only problem is, by being "slim line" they jack up the prices a bit =(. Also make sure your power supply can handle either of those cards via the Nvidia site.

Hope this helps!
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
November 1, 2009 2:14:16 AM

The ODST, those cards recommended by carpand would run those games just fine, but the problem is your pc in particular doesn't have any slots for you to put the graphics card in. Your choice if you want to play those games is either get a new pc or get an xbox.
a b à CPUs
a c 272 U Graphics card
November 1, 2009 4:05:24 AM

carpand said:
try this link: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Or in my above post I had a 9500gt.. If they fit I'm fairly confident that either can play those games on that setup, the 9600gt for sure. Only problem is, by being "slim line" they jack up the prices a bit =(. Also make sure your power supply can handle either of those cards via the Nvidia site.

Hope this helps!

That card will not fit in this PC.
November 1, 2009 5:37:03 AM

well can't u just rip out the old card and put the new one in...

i'm not a genius when it comes to graphics
November 1, 2009 8:04:05 AM

you don't have a card right now. your graphics are onboard your motherboard, and you can't exactly go ripping that out.
a b à CPUs
November 1, 2009 8:22:46 AM

Hey OSDT, no, don't spend the money on COD2 for the PC, it won't be playable. Get the Xbox 360 for gaming.

Windows 7 should run fine on your Acer. Just check their site to make sure. I will if I get a chance later in the day.

As astrodude said, the graphics you have now are a tiny chip that's soldered onto your mobo. Its enough to run 2d apps like office and get on the net, but no muscle to run 3d apps.
November 2, 2009 3:42:33 AM

OK that's solved! but I'm now wondering about SP1 for vista because windows 7 needs that to run or upgrade to it.
I open it run it and then it comes up with an error that's not listed on Microsoft.com
Here I'll give you the error message:
An internal error occurred while installing the service pack
Error code: 0x80070002 see:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkId=101139 for details.
November 2, 2009 10:25:11 PM

oi skora ur a *** please reply
November 3, 2009 12:02:47 AM

hello
a b à CPUs
November 3, 2009 4:54:24 AM

Wow, a guy spends his time helping where he can out of the goodness of his heart, and you come back with insults because you're impatient? That's no way to get any help.

You're in a hardware section, don't be shocked that people don't have vista advise to offer. You change your attitude, and maybe you'll get some help.
November 3, 2009 6:42:57 AM

ok i'm sorry just that we were having such a good conversation and *** like that so i wondered where u were these last few day's.

Can u give me a hand with the above question please please.

a b à CPUs
November 3, 2009 1:22:43 PM

There are things to do outside of the net for me. I do get on most every day, but don't stop here. If you want to pay me for on demand tech support, I'll be happy figure out a way to do that. Apology accepted.

As for fixing your vista sp1 upgrade issue before upgrading to windows 7, this can be fixed by avoiding the issue. Its a better idea to just install windows 7 after a fresh HDD format than upgrade it. You'll have to backup your data to a location off your HDD. You'll have to reinstall your apps and configure your settings, but then you're getting all Windows 7 files instead of some Vista, some 7. Granted a lot of them will be the same anyway, but you'll still be better off with a clean install. The upgrade disc contains the complete Win 7 OS, it just has an added script of asking for a previous Windows OS key/disc for verification. I'm not sure as my copy is still sitting on my desk while I figure out how I'm going to get a new HDD.
November 3, 2009 11:16:03 PM

There are things to do outside of the net for me. I do get on most every day, but don't stop here. If you want to pay me for on demand tech support, I'll be happy figure out a way to do that. Apology accepted.

As for fixing your vista sp1 upgrade issue before upgrading to windows 7, this can be fixed by avoiding the issue. Its a better idea to just install windows 7 after a fresh HDD format than upgrade it. You'll have to backup your data to a location off your HDD. You'll have to reinstall your apps and configure your settings, but then you're getting all Windows 7 files instead of some Vista, some 7. Granted a lot of them will be the same anyway, but you'll still be better off with a clean install. The upgrade disc contains the complete Win 7 OS, it just has an added script of asking for a previous Windows OS key/disc for verification. I'm not sure as my copy is still sitting on my desk while I figure out how I'm going to get a new HDD.

Thanks for that advice since i have already refformatted my PC twice so i won't have trouble doing that coz i have a terrbyte external HD so i can backup everything. thanks for that advice ur a legend man.
November 4, 2009 9:35:33 PM

yeah shutup
November 5, 2009 4:54:51 AM

ok sorry geez have skitz i'm only 15 for god sake!!!!

now i've been lokking at windows 7 for our PC and i think it will work fine but people say that it glitches alot. Confused???? :[

But i'm thinking about windows 7 ultimate which is half the cost of vista ultimate so juust wondering whether or not it will glitch....

I am going to do a HDD format and backup all my stuff onto a Terra external HD and then wipe everything of of the PC then shove 7 onto it any worries u have about this please let me know thanks champs...
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
November 5, 2009 5:01:15 AM

If you do a clean install (as you said you will) you should be fine, but you may still experience the glitches of new software (though they will be far less and infrequent than those of Vista), but these will go away with time, as updates are released; its the price of being an early adopter.
November 5, 2009 9:32:50 PM

so your saying that i can install it have a couple of small glitches and then windows update will update it as it goes along.
thanks for your advice...

um...
i'm going to do a re-format then install windows 7 ultimate then if it has glitches i'll just update it with windows update
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
November 5, 2009 10:03:26 PM

The ODST said:
so your saying that i can install it have a couple of small glitches and then windows update will update it as it goes along.
thanks for your advice...

um...
i'm going to do a re-format then install windows 7 ultimate then if it has glitches i'll just update it with windows update

What I meant by glitches is the normal glitches with new software (i.e. games, apps, photoshop, word, OS's, etc.). Even XP still has some glitches (you can't tell me that not one of every computer running XP, despite its stability, has never crashed), but there are less glitches with time, as updates are released addressing these glitches. There is no such thing as a perfect operating system (unless you can code your own, like Linux), they will always have glitches; its a fact of life. Nothing's perfect; and there's no exception with an OS.

That being said, there are some glitches you won't be aware of, since you probably won't use every single feature of your OS. I will say this though; if you had Vista before, you will likely be satisfied with Windows 7, as it has improved upon many of the features Vista has, and more. Even if you are coming from XP, the smoothness of the new OS will interest you, and when you go back to using an XP computer, you will miss the new features.
November 5, 2009 10:39:03 PM

yeah good point...

I've got kaspersky 2009 and wondering if it will kill confiker if it infects my PC

If not give us a suggestion to stop confiker from killing my PC...

cheers,
the ODST
November 6, 2009 12:06:00 AM

Really no point for Ultimate unless you WANT those 35 other languages installed on your PC. Just go Professional if you want everything without the extra languages.
November 6, 2009 12:13:40 AM

Quote:
IM a ATI guy, but isay go w/ a NVIDIA card that comes out in 2010. ATI is for General simulation while NVIDIA is for High performance programs and applications

What is this bullcrap? ATI is for general simulation? I'm not against Nvidia, but I think many people on this forum can agree that ATI, even old cards, can do high performance programs and applications. While my 4890 Toxic isn't the best thing out there, I can max out any game I play or any graphic-extensive application I use. If you were talking about video-editing, then sure I'd agree Nvidia has the upperhand with their GPUs that use CUDA programs.
November 6, 2009 2:07:15 AM

oh shutup please
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
November 6, 2009 2:12:20 AM

Quote:
IM a ATI guy, but isay go w/ a NVIDIA card that comes out in 2010. ATI is for General simulation while NVIDIA is for High performance programs and applications

What in the world?

Do not listen to this guy as he clearly has no idea what he is talking about. ATi and nVIDIA Graphics cards can be used for a multitude of different tasks.

That set aside the OP can't even fit a new Graphics card in his computer. You sound like a paid nVIDIA shill randomly posting on forums trying to get your Corporate paymasters a sale.

ODST.. solutions.. well it looks like you either have to purchase a new PC or acquire a console. Sorry to say.
November 6, 2009 2:31:34 AM

yeah i know that dick head
November 6, 2009 11:27:41 PM

It's so weird how people go to a forum to ask for help and then go on to insult or name call their helpers.

If someone was mean enough, they could easily trick you to buy something that doesn't even work on your system just to get you back, so be nice on forums ODST.

@dogman_1234: If you know you don't have good info, why do you bother to even post in so many threads? Just read so you can learn and don't post sh*tty info to confuse people who know even less.

It's like a guy who wants to have sex with a girl who has AIDS and he knows she has it, but he still does it with her anyway. It's like why do it? If you want attention, this is the wrong place to go to, I would suggest going to a chatroom or something.
a b à CPUs
a c 272 U Graphics card
November 6, 2009 11:55:09 PM

This thread has pretty much run it's course.
!