Sign in with
Your question

Update bios on 55a-Ud4p?

Last response: in Motherboards
January 27, 2010 4:33:54 PM

I just got all my parts into today, i7-860, 4gigs ripjaw cl7, 5870. But i was unsure if i should update bios when i get things up and running. Reason i ask is because my last two pcs i had i just used the software provodid and never had a reason to update o the newet versions. But i read on newegg reviews where some recommend updating to latest but no one ever gave a reason too why.

Also if anyone has exp with similar setup and care to share sage tweaks and settings i am all ears!

More about : update bios 55a ud4p

a b V Motherboard
January 27, 2010 5:10:09 PM

The BIOSes released with the P55 boards have gone through some major revisions to get to where they are today. There have been a number of 'memory compatibility' updates, changes to address PCIe stability, the addition of dynamic voltage capabilities, support for the new CPUs - and those are just the ones that Gigabyte has told us about!

It's not necessarily a must do, but many folks stay up to date because of all of the improvements that are being made. If you didn't want to upgrade your BIOS, you could put your machine together and see how it works.

If you decide to upgrade BIOS, use QFlash which you can launch from within BIOS. Do not use the @BIOS software that Gigabyte provides and updates BIOS while you are in Windows. It has been known to brick boards.
m
l
January 27, 2010 6:04:26 PM

Merci bien
m
l
Related resources
January 28, 2010 2:29:30 PM

Actually have Bios version F4, which is fine I guess, but when I did try to update to F5 at least. I couldn't do it in Qflash, it requires a floppy drive which I didn't install lol, is there another way to do it directly from Qflash; if not will it be ok to try threw the windows programs that I DL off the site?

I also tried to DL EasyTune6; I was able to install it properly, but when I tried to actually run it in windows it says drivers not found. Now is this a common problem people are getting or do I just need to find the right version? If so What version should I DL with F4 or F5 bios?

Also any other bios applications from gigabyte worth looking into?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 28, 2010 3:19:08 PM

Here's a good guide for updating BIOS: http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios-flashing-how-qflas...

You want to use QFlash. And you don't have to use a floppy, you can use a USB stick. Here's the basic steps:
1. Download latest BIOS
2. Unpack the downloaded file (double-click it/execute it, it's self-extracting) placing the extracted files onto your USB stick
3. With the USB stick in your PC, restart the PC
4. Enter BIOS
5. Enter QFlash - I believe using F8 but it will say at the bottom of your screen (it is possible to enter Qflash at startup without entering BIOS; either way is fine)
6. Find your USB drive (likely labeled HDD)
7. Install the new BIOS
8. Once that is done, back within the BIOS, choose "Load Optimized Defaults"
9. Save and exit, let the machine reboot
10. Re-enter BIOS to make additional changes as you see fit
m
l
January 28, 2010 3:37:48 PM

Ohhhh thanks forgot about usb sticks lol
m
l
January 29, 2010 3:28:53 AM

If using USB (like I just did a few seconds ago on the same motherboard) use the USB port above the PS/2 port at the back, as some USB ports are not recognized by BIOS. And it's perfectly fine to insert the stick after the Qflash has started (press <END> during boot to start it immediately).

I just updated the BIOS from F6 to F7c-Beta to hopefully fix some cold-boot memory errors I'm getting. We'll see...
m
l
January 29, 2010 4:57:04 AM

Flash or hd not reading the bios data says its not compatible with 64 bit win7 u have this prob? When i am on the webpage dling bios version doesnt list 32 bit or 64 bit
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 29, 2010 10:35:09 AM

What steps did you take?
m
l
January 29, 2010 2:05:08 PM

DL bios
extract file into flash drive and on desktop
restarted pc
entered qflash

and nothing shows in the available drives or whatever

i tried going threw each usb drive and no response. I also tried executing the file in windows and said not compatible. Or is it suppose to say that and only work in qfladh?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 29, 2010 2:34:27 PM

It's supposed to say that when you execute in windows.

Did you review the link I posted? http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios-flashing-how-qflas...

A couple of things it specifies are:
1. You need "Legacy USB Storage Detect" Enabled in the Integrated Peripherals Page of the BIOS
2. You also need to leave the USB drive plugged in when you reboot the PC to enter Qflash

The other thing it says is that the USB stick must be formatted as FAT32/16/12. Most are, but if you've verified 1. & 2. above, then this may be something to look into.

There's also instructions at that link for making a bootable USB drive or using a small partition on your harddrive if you wanted to go down any of those routes.
m
l
January 29, 2010 3:03:22 PM

ekoostik said:
1. You need "Legacy USB Storage Detect" Enabled in the Integrated Peripherals Page of the BIOS
The two BIOS settings which need to be enabled are found in the Integrated Peripherals section and are named "USB Legacy Function" and "USB Storage Function". Note that they are both enabled by default.
ekoostik said:
2. You also need to leave the USB drive plugged in when you reboot the PC to enter Qflash
The USB drive must be plugged in before you enter the Qflash utility. So you can plug it in while in the BIOS setup, then use <F8> to get to Qflash, or as you said, plug it in before booting then press <END> to start Qflash.

And it seems I am wrong about using certain USB slots, because I just tried it using every possible slot (all 10!) on the back of the motherboard. Maybe it doesn't like having other things plugged into USB at the time? I don't know why, but an earlier attempt didn't work with a free USB 3.0 slot.

Anyway, if you can't get it to work, then check those two BIOS settings, unplug other USB devices, and use one of the ports above the PS/2 connector.
m
l
January 29, 2010 3:13:30 PM

Thanks ill try it when i get home
m
l
January 30, 2010 2:17:01 AM

k so I DL the file from

http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/Support/Motherboard/BIOS_Mo...

I DLed both 5 and 6 to test

I extract the executable into a flash drive and nothing shows up in Qflash, I did all the recommendations so far. Checked legacy and re-started my PC with my flash drive into a USB port, still does not show only shows a FLOPPY drive w/ 0 data.

So I tried making a bootable USB Flash drive. Followed instructions, using HP USB Disk storage formater. I extracted the bios files into a folder called flash. Files are

1) autoexec
2) FLASHSPI
3) p55aud4p.f5

Go into the formater, fat 32, created a DOS startup disk using DOS system files located at etc.

ERROR

"There are no valid DOS system files at the specific location"

At this point I am totally stumped bout to RMA this POS!!! exaggeration but still fustrating lol.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 30, 2010 2:32:05 AM

Quote:
I extract the executable into a flash drive and nothing shows up in Qflash, I did all the recommendations so far. Checked legacy and re-started my PC with my flash drive into a USB port, still does not show only shows a FLOPPY drive w/ 0 data.

While in windows, open Windows Explorer and navigate to your flash drive. What are the names of the files that you see?
m
l
January 30, 2010 2:50:39 AM

All you need is p55aud4p.f5 (or p55aud4p.f6, etc) in a plain Windows-formatted USB stick. Qflash should pop up a list of available drives, in my case only the USB stick was available so it first lists "HDD" and states "0 file(s) found", but you have to press <enter> to go into the highlighted drive and select the file. It also lets you navigate into folders, just like really old DOS file managers.
m
l
January 30, 2010 3:14:49 AM

ekoostik said:
Quote:

While in windows, open Windows Explorer and navigate to your flash drive. What are the names of the files that you see?

The files I see are

1) FLASHSPI
2) p55aud4p.f6

m
l
January 30, 2010 3:15:56 AM

aced said:
All you need is p55aud4p.f5 (or p55aud4p.f6, etc) in a plain Windows-formatted USB stick. Qflash should pop up a list of available drives, in my case only the USB stick was available so it first lists "HDD" and states "0 file(s) found", but you have to press <enter> to go into the highlighted drive and select the file. It also lets you navigate into folders, just like really old DOS file managers.

The only drive that is being listed is FLOPPY
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 30, 2010 3:32:58 AM

jrel209 said:
1) FLASHSPI
2) p55aud4p.f6

Ok, those are the right files. I don't know why QFlash isn't finding your USB stick. Try it in different slots, front panel and various slots on the back panel. If it doesn't work in one slot, restart the PC with the USB stick in a different slot.
m
l
January 30, 2010 3:34:09 AM

Ya I did, thanks for the help though lol

I think my MB just hates me.
m
l
February 1, 2010 3:51:58 PM

Disable the floppy in BIOS, and try a different USB stick. Something simple, with no built-software or partitioning, formatted on a Windows system to FAT.
m
l
!