Sign in with
Your question

CPU cooling for P8Z68 LGA1155 + Corsair RAM Heatsinks

Last response: in Overclocking
September 21, 2011 5:38:39 PM

Hello guys

I'm finishing a rig and my only question is about the CPU cooling. There's a zillion of options out there, and deciding which one helps me better is driving me nuts! :D 

The rig is the one on my sig, but I'll put it here for you to dig:

HD: WD Caviar Green 2Tb
VGA: EVGA GTX560Ti 2Gb
PSU: Corsair HX650
CPU: i7 2600k
MB: Asus P8Z68-V Pro
RAM: 4x Corsair Vengeance
Case: Thermaltake Dokker Lite
Case FANs: 3x Aerocool Shark 120, 2x Excalibur 120 and 1x Akasa 80, all positioned to increase the airflow.

Here's the deal: I want to use the "K" of my i7 and push it to ~4.5Ghz, or even higher if possible, for permanent and daily use. Problem is, I also want to use the four RAM slots my MB has and I have the Corsair Vengeances and their heatsinks - well, at least I only have two of them for now.

Which cooling solution do you suggest? The TT Frio is already out of the deal for its noise, weight and because it kills two slots.

Of course I'm looking for a cooler that is efficient, silent, lightweight and that don't kill my slots, if there's one. I don't care for looks. Oh, and if it allows to replace its fans with aftermarket ones it'll be a good addition, since I already have the Sharks which are very good. Price is also an issue. I don't want to spend more than, say, $70 on that cooler.

Now, the last question: the best water cooler I can have is the H60. Is it a preferrable choice over the bulky and noisy air coolers out there?

Thanks!
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
September 21, 2011 6:12:47 PM

For high OC'ing you want a top quality HSF. See the test data on the popular HSFs at the link below and then read the reviews you are interested in to make an informed [urchasing decision. You may need to use RAM without heatsinks to fit a proper sized HSF. I can personally recommend the Xigmatek Aegir SD128264 as an excellent HSF for ~$70.

All of the Corsair H20 coolers are very inefficient and a poor value IMO. Good water-cooling starts at the $200. level but offers little advantage over an air-cooled HSF and the risk of hardware damage from leaks is not only possible but quite common. H2O coolers require high fan speeds to cool the radiator so they are not quiet. See the Corsair forums for sad, sad reports of damaged hardware with Corsair H2O cooler systems. Frosty Tech also has some Corsair H2O test data.

http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm#INTELHEATSI...
September 22, 2011 8:17:11 PM

beenthere said:
For high OC'ing you want a top quality HSF. See the test data on the popular HSFs at the link below and then read the reviews you are interested in to make an informed [urchasing decision. You may need to use RAM without heatsinks to fit a proper sized HSF. I can personally recommend the Xigmatek Aegir SD128264 as an excellent HSF for ~$70.

All of the Corsair H20 coolers are very inefficient and a poor value IMO. Good water-cooling starts at the $200. level but offers little advantage over an air-cooled HSF and the risk of hardware damage from leaks is not only possible but quite common. H2O coolers require high fan speeds to cool the radiator so they are not quiet. See the Corsair forums for sad, sad reports of damaged hardware with Corsair H2O cooler systems. Frosty Tech also has some Corsair H2O test data.

http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm#INTELHEATSI...

Thanks a lot beenthere, very useful ranking.

I've looking around and liked both the Zalman 9900 MAX and the Zalman 10X Extreme. Although they're expensive they seem to be worth it.

Now i'm divided between the two and I'd like to know if the 10X has enough clearance in my P8Z68 to fit four Vengeances. If it does, then 10X is the winner! :D 
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
September 29, 2011 9:10:59 PM

beenthere said:
All of the Corsair H20 coolers are very inefficient and a poor value IMO.

Most users and reviewers would disagree with your opinion. And, in the context of this post, the H60 is an excellent choice for the OP as he needs good cooling, which the H60 DOES provide and it does not block 2 memory slots using his existing memory like so many of the monstrous air coolers.
September 30, 2011 2:28:41 AM

XMSYellowbeard said:
Most users and reviewers would disagree with your opinion. And, in the context of this post, the H60 is an excellent choice for the OP as he needs good cooling, which the H60 DOES provide and it does not block 2 memory slots using his existing memory like so many of the monstrous air coolers.

Thanks a lot for the response.

I finally decided to stick with the CNPS 9900MAX, as it offers solid performance and the RAM slots. I hope it's good :D 
!