Sign in with
Your question
Solved

AC Freezer 7 w/ mobo issue

Last response: in Motherboards
January 27, 2010 7:00:29 PM

Hey guys, first post here and I'm having trouble attaching the mounting bracket (i think thats what its called;the plastic piece that connects from hsf to mobo) from my AC freezer 7 to the motherboard.

my mobo is a gigabyte MA790GPT-UD3h am3 790gx. the mounting bracket that came with the AC freezer 7 has 4 screw holes in the shape of a square while my mobo's screw holes are a rectangle. so theres no way of screwing it in and i cant use it.

am i just missing something here or do i need to buy a new mounting bracket that fits my mobo and the HSF collectively?? or do i need to buy a whole new HSF?? thanks.

More about : freezer mobo issue

a c 177 V Motherboard
January 27, 2010 10:00:32 PM

Is that a Freezer 7 LP, or a Freezer 7 Pro (and, if it is a Pro, is it new? i.e., is it a rev 2 or an older rev 1)? LP, I believe, is only good for 775 socketed processors; the other two each have different install techniques...
m
l
January 28, 2010 1:49:16 AM

yeah i've got an AC freezer 7 pro rev. 2. and under compatibility on newegg.com it says it compatible. so i dont understand why i was unable to install it. i also wound up frying my mobo in the process trying to reinstall the horrible stock HSF that lets you have 0 visibility while installing inside the case and problems ensued from there. if only it fit and wasnt such a hassle ide still have a mobo :fou:  but yeah ill still need any help i can get as i will probably get another mobo pretty soon.
m
l
Related resources
January 28, 2010 1:58:09 AM

You have to use the AMD brackets to mount it on AM3...

Bad thing is the fan does not blow out to the back of the case :( 
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
January 28, 2010 2:00:36 AM

I'll have procedure by tomorrow - and, yeah, I agree with you - the major thing that most HSF designs share is that they're an abomination to work with. I, for reasons almost unrelated to cooling, went to water and got a Fuzion waterblock - I actually wrote the manufacturers and told them they were wasting their time selling waterblocks - what the need to do is sell EVERYONE their mounting hardware - but there is a drawback - you've got to not mind pulling your board to mount it - it's like a Xeon sink, goes on from the back... I thought the rev 1 design was cleaner - it still used the little 'twisty-pins', but you locked them first, with no pressure on the sink, and tensioned it up subsequently.
m
l
January 28, 2010 3:16:07 AM

r-sky said:
You have to use the AMD brackets to mount it on AM3...

Bad thing is the fan does not blow out to the back of the case :( 

so your saying newegg.com labeled the AC freezer 7 pro compatible but it really isnt since it never came with AMD brackets?? because according to you it didnt come with one.... are you sure you understood what i meant?? i might have the wrong wording but to me the plastic piece that attaches to the mobo looks like a bracket. which is what i cant use. and yeah, whats up with it pointing downward? i wish i never bought this thing, its caused more trouble than it has helped. :(  :( 
m
l

Best solution

a c 177 V Motherboard
January 28, 2010 12:37:49 PM

You should have a pair of little, silver, perforated right-angle 'clips' with a small threaded extruded hole on the 'leg' opposite the perforations; in addition, you should have two pair of tiny screws - one pair of which should be threaded to fit the bracket extrusion... For an AMD, you don't need the included square plastic bracket at all. Depending upon your AMD socket, there should be a plastic 'frame' surrounding it, with one, two, or three ratchet-type (i.e., sloping from nothing at the top, to a sort of 'shelf-like overhang at the bottom...) 'teeth' on two opposite sides; turn and place the little silver brackets so the perforations 'engage' these teeth (it may help at this point to slip a rubber band around the thing once you have both brackets in position), then, having unclipped the fan from the heatsink assembly, place the HSF bracket so a pair of the holes in it approximately line up with the threaded, extruded holes in the pair of mounts - tighten the screws, cut away the rubber band, clip the fan back onto the assembly, and you should be in business!
January 28, 2010 10:14:54 PM

so i place the clips (those two metal right clip angles you called them) onto the prexisting plastic frame on my mobo and screw them in, but i dont see anything to screw it into? so what would be keeping them in place??? with the plastic frame that came with the AC freezer 7 its got the two holes that i need to screw those metal clips onto. the one on my motherboard doesnt. srry man im really a noob at this im trying to understand lol.
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
January 29, 2010 1:53:46 AM

If you look closely at the clips, the screw holes (as opposed to the stamped holes that 'engage' the 'teeth' on the side of your MOBO's plastic frame) themselves are threaded to fit one pair of the included screws - you're going to put the screws through the holes in the spring loading 'band' that crosses the sink, by placing the sink with the band across the brackets. Then, you thread the screws through the 'band', into the little brackets - when you tighten them up, they should 'pull' the sink itself down onto the CPU. Again, you're not screwing the clips into the plastic frame, you're 'flipping' them the other way, so the stamped holes 'engage' the teeth on the plastic frame (and the threaded side will be pointing out from the frame, and away from the board surface - it's sort of a 'three-handed' operation - that's why you might want to rubber-band them), which allows them to tension the assembly by 'grabbing onto' the plastic frame. The plastic frame that came with the HSF is superfluous - goes in the spare parts bin, for when you regain your sanity and switch to Intels :lol: 

Quote:
srry man im really a noob at this im trying to understand lol.

Hey, no problem, everyone's gotta learn somewhere, sometime!

I think this is sort of the idea, but I don't have one around to look at - I just tear up old ones to recover the heat sinks...
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 29, 2010 2:11:03 AM

See Here for a .pdf showing the installation procedures ( http://www.arctic-cooling.com/catalog/images/installati... ) - It attaches to the adapter on the MOBO already you only use the 2 metal brackets and the 2 screws from the cooler (the other pieces are for installing on an Intel MOBO)
m
l
January 29, 2010 6:20:43 PM

ahhhhh i see. i was so set on screwing those clips in and i never even had to. ill post back with whats happened. thanks guys!
m
l
January 30, 2010 2:58:47 AM

well its installed and running. but im just not getting the temps i want. in fact, the fan was actually not working facing downward towards the bottom of the case(idling at 23C!), and i was getting better temps than i am now.

after turning the AC freezer 7 upwards towards a 120mm fan (which was what i should have done) i got worse temp readings somehow. idling at 30C instead of 23. that's a whole 7 degrees hotter than just using the HS by itself!! bahh!!! im probably not seating it right, or i didnt spread the thermal paste well enough with the dot method.
m
l
January 30, 2010 4:26:55 AM

I put this on my intel 775 Q9550 an it also gets strange temps? I never had the stock fan on it so I have nothing to compare it to. (34C-38C-39C-35C) according to speedfan and coretemp. Intel allows you to place the fan in any direction you just have to put the bracket in the right way.
Sorry to hear you had such a hard time :cry:  My fist time too. I staired at it for an hour just to make sure I did it right or that is $250 gone up in smoke!
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 30, 2010 1:00:42 PM

shogun88 said:
well its installed and running. but im just not getting the temps i want. in fact, the fan was actually not working facing downward towards the bottom of the case(idling at 23C!), and i was getting better temps than i am now.

after turning the AC freezer 7 upwards towards a 120mm fan (which was what i should have done) i got worse temp readings somehow. idling at 30C instead of 23. that's a whole 7 degrees hotter than just using the HS by itself!! bahh!!! im probably not seating it right, or i didnt spread the thermal paste well enough with the dot method.

You did redo the thermal compund when turning it correct ? - any time you remove\replace the heatsink you should replace the thermal paste ! - If you still have more paste -- remove the heatsink again and look at the paste (is it a thin even layer that covers the top of the CPU (did it run over the sides, or miss spots) - that should give you a good idea if you used too much or not enough - then clean the surfaces again and redo adjusting the process if needed - reattach and check the temps again (the best way to face it if possible would be with the airflow pushing the hot air toward the back of the case so it exhausts through the fan at the back (since this will be hot air that you want to remove from the case instead of circulate on other components !)
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
January 30, 2010 2:02:38 PM

One thing I've found that will give you a better look at what's happening with varying amounts/applications of TIM (paste) is to get a couple small (say, two inch by two inch) pieces of clear, thick (quarter inch or thicker) acrylic (Plexiglass) or polycarbonate (Lexan), apply paste as you wish, then 'squeeze' by clamping; now, obviously, you can get any spread you want by tightening the clamp sufficiently, but, it will give you an idea of what's what... Another thing I've found is that the paste itself matters - TIM Cosultants' :
http://www.tim-consultants.com/matrix1.html
TC grease 0098 is cheap (and their shipping charge is minimal), performs well:
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...
and is 'thixotropic', meaning it becomes less viscous when in shear - it 'thins out' to get a good even spread by 'wiggling' the HSF down into contact...
I build a lot of little 'gizmos' that need heat-sinking (regulators, TRIACs, MOSFETs, what have you...) and I use it everywhere, except on MOBO MOSFETs - there, I use Asilver, as it's non-conductive, and it's nigh unto impossible to get any on a MOSFET without getting enough to 'slop over'.
m
l
January 30, 2010 7:40:44 PM

thanks guys. i will try your suggestions once ive got more TIM. its gone down in temp a little though from before. Now I'm going to order some new thermal paste (lots of it so i can redo it if necessary). I also was wrong about facing the HSF towards the fan on top of my case, it should be facing away in order to blow heat through said fan. ill post back once my TIM and sidefan are shipped.

billbat you had the best answer i want to give you credit for it. will i be able to come back here if i select your answer above as the best answer?
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
February 1, 2010 1:12:00 PM

Aackk! I've got absolutely no idea of how any of this stuff works - it's all I can manage to remember to 'unhide' the right-hand column once every other month to look at PMs, mostly to tell people not to PM me, as I forget to look at 'em! Apparently, Tom's sets great stock in 'incentivizing' responses here, as they recently revamped their points thingie... All I know about it is that it means I will, once again, be listed as an 'addict', a term I find offensive; who knows - I may pack it up and move to TweakTown then!
m
l
February 8, 2010 5:05:36 AM

Best answer selected by shogun88.
m
l
!