Sign in with
Your question

I was wondering if these worked together (Also advice!)

Last response: in Overclocking
September 22, 2011 1:10:55 PM

Hi forum,

Just wondering if this:
http://www.xoxide.com/zalman-reserator-1-v2.html

and this:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/13601/ex-blc-936/Heat...

Will work together. It's my first time doing water cooling and any advice/suggestions/reference guides are much appreciated. I'm liking the zalman reserator because its passive and its all in one pump/resevoir/radiator but i'm not sure if the hookups for the tubes are the same and if they would work with that GPU block.

If you have better suggestions of a passive water cooling system for a GTX 590 i'd love to hear about it!

Thanks,

James
a c 328 K Overclocking
September 22, 2011 1:56:25 PM

Zalman doesn't really make good watercooling gear...weak pumps and they use aluminum in some of their components...galvanic corrosion is bad and can be catastrophic if a component corrodes through.

I don't know how passive you are wanting to go here...you can certainly go with other options...are you looking to only cool the GPU? Or CPU as well?

What kind of budget? Any history as to why you are going passive/watercooling...(trying to get a feel on expectations and goals).
m
l
September 22, 2011 3:10:49 PM

I thought I might as well get the CPU as well considering most kits come with a CPU block (1366) as far as passive, as long as its quiet i'm happy. I prefer to have it outside the case as room inside the case is...well there is no room. Budget is probably under around $350-450.

I'm going water cooling because there's not enough airflow in the computer for the GPU. My computer resets because the GPU overheats unless I turn up the fan speed to a constant 95%. My objective is to cool the GPU (and maybe the CPU) quietly and with as little maintenance as possible.
m
l
Related resources
a c 328 K Overclocking
September 22, 2011 3:45:11 PM

You could put together a pretty decent loop for that cost. You could even go the route of the XSPC Rasa RX360 kit (link) and simply add a GPU block and call it a day...this would be the simplest route. Otherwise, you could just build out a loop.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 22, 2011 4:23:44 PM

I can only imagine the cooling capacity of my rig if I threw in that passive cooler with my existing setup... :D 

You could also just use ultra-silent fans. Xigmatek makes some sub-20dBA (whisper volume) fans that move a decent amount of air (~50-60 CFM IIRC).
m
l
a c 328 K Overclocking
September 22, 2011 4:33:22 PM

Yeah, good call on the fans.
m
l
September 22, 2011 5:36:11 PM

rubix_1011 said:
You could put together a pretty decent loop for that cost. You could even go the route of the XSPC Rasa RX360 kit (link) and simply add a GPU block and call it a day...this would be the simplest route. Otherwise, you could just build out a loop.

That looks pretty interesting; does that kit work with the GPU block previously mentioned? Also it looks like the radiator fits on the back of the box is that correct? I don't know if I have enough room back there to do anything like that... I should've mentioned that its not really the airflow of the case thats the problem its the size of the card is hitting the side of the HDD bay so theres a nice wall of metal where the 2nd GPU core is supposed exhausting heat.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 22, 2011 5:47:18 PM

They should work together - both blocks are made out of copper. As long as you have the same size fittings and tubing it'll all work.

As for the rad, you just need to mount it wherever you have room - inside or outside.
m
l
September 22, 2011 6:05:16 PM

So how exactly does that thing mount to the computer?
Over the 120mm fan on the back?

Also I assume fittings are the rings/nozzles at the end of the tubes? Are those pretty universal/swappable?

Thanks for the help so far :) 

James
m
l
a c 328 K Overclocking
September 22, 2011 6:48:50 PM

To mount on the back like that, you'd need a RadBox: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/2156/ex-rad-35/Swiftech_MCB-120_Revision_2_Radbox_RadiatorFan_Housing_-_Black.html or some similar mounting device. You could even make standoffs on your own to use if you really wanted to. You just want the radiator to sit back a little to give you some clearance for the fan and the cables on the back of the case.

Quote:
Also I assume fittings are the rings/nozzles at the end of the tubes? Are those pretty universal/swappable?

Yes, fittings/barbs are universal...they are G1/4" threaded and the side the tubing connects is listed as the tubing inside diameter or ID. This is the size you will want to match to the ID of the tubing you are going to use and will use the same size ID fittings and tubing on the entire loop.
m
l
September 22, 2011 7:22:47 PM

rubix_1011 said:
To mount on the back like that, you'd need a RadBox: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/2156/ex-rad-35/Swiftech_MCB-120_Revision_2_Radbox_RadiatorFan_Housing_-_Black.html or some similar mounting device. You could even make standoffs on your own to use if you really wanted to. You just want the radiator to sit back a little to give you some clearance for the fan and the cables on the back of the case.

Quote:

Yes, fittings/barbs are universal...they are G1/4" threaded and the side the tubing connects is listed as the tubing inside diameter or ID. This is the size you will want to match to the ID of the tubing you are going to use and will use the same size ID fittings and tubing on the entire loop.

Cool, my only concern is where to put the reservoir, i'm actually very short on space on the inside of the case
m
l
a c 328 K Overclocking
September 22, 2011 7:25:18 PM

The Rasa kit has the pump/res in a dual bay mount, so it would fit in your front bays.
m
l
September 22, 2011 8:49:26 PM

mmm..is there an alternative method? The entire thing is pretty jam packed full of stuff... 7 HDD, and Optical drive and a SSD occupy the entire front of the case
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 22, 2011 8:51:46 PM

JamesFitzgerald717 said:
Cool, my only concern is where to put the reservoir, i'm actually very short on space on the inside of the case

Like Rubix said, the XSPC X2O 750 pump/res fits in 2x 5.25" (DVD) bays. There are also other reservoirs XSPC makes that will hold other pumps (Swiftech's MCP355/655 or equivalent DDC/D5 pumps).

There are also small cylindrical reservoirs; you don't need a huge reservoir for a small loop.

Quote:
So how exactly does that thing mount to the computer?
Over the 120mm fan on the back?

It doesn't necessarily mount on the back. You could drill holes in the top, or make a radbox and put it underneath the case. I think the picture of the passive cooler was done using a case that has tubing cutouts by the GPUs.
m
l
September 22, 2011 10:25:48 PM

Ok just one more question: Is it OK to run the loop to the GPU only or is it recommended to go through the CPU and GPU? I honestly have a nice CPU cooler i'd rather not get rid of...

Also thanks guys, you've been really helpful. If you have any tips for me as far as installation goes and common mistakes people make or if you have any recommendations as far as setup goes let me know. I kind've want to learn what I have to do before I do it :) 
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 22, 2011 10:37:34 PM

You can run the loop however you want - at some point though, the WC bug bites and you'll want to run everything in the loop.

The Rasa kits come with a CPU block (at least, some of them - I think there are a few intended for GPUs), so you're covered if you want to throw the CPU in there as well.
m
l
!