I think my graphics card is broken... (club3d HD4870)

hero9989

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009
First, my system
Antec 900 Case
Corsair TX 750W
MSI K9A2 Platinum
AMD Phenom II 720 @ 3.1Ghz
Club3d ATI Radeon HD4870 1GB (factory overclocked: core@780Mhz -- memory@925Mhz)
2 x 2GB DDR2 6400 RAM
2 x 160GB 7200rpm HDDs (RAID0)
2 x DVD+-RW Drives
Windows 7 RC1 x64

A bit of background first

A while back, I did a new build, which is basically what's above, but it had a Modular Xilence PSU instead of the corsair in the list, the Xilence PSU was faulty, the fan on it had died and it was outputting dodgy voltages.
As well as that, I had graphical problems, where, when playing games, the screen would flicker, I did manage to fix this however by underclocking the GPU to normal 4870 levels, I figured that it was likely the PSU was giving it dodgy voltages and so I didn't think anything was wrong with the GPU and just underclocked it whilst I used it, waiting for aria.co.uk to get back to me with the RMA details.

I've since sent back the original PSU and now have a Corsair TX 750W
At the default graphics settings, I'm still getting the same flickering I was before, but like before, if I underclock it, it works fine.

I've also now tried the graphics card in my brothers PC, not totally sure about its specs but I think it has a no name 450w PSU, an AMD X2 5000+ CPU and 4x1GB 6400 RAM, Running both Windows 7 RC1 x64 and Windows XP Home Edition x86 (w/ SP3)

Low and behold, it does the same thing as it does on my PC.

This may all sound silly, when I can get the graphics card to work fine, but, I'm still pretty sure the graphics card shouldn't behave like it is at DEFAULT settings, bit of hassle having to change the setting whenever I rebuild the PC.. (which is usually quite often for me..)

So.. Any ideas? or should I just bite the bullet, phone aria and ask for RMA..?

hero9989

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009
Yes to latest driver (just updated it yesterday, GPU temps are at around 40-50 degrees C
I paid for this one.. £125

I'm going to RMA it anyway, are there any brands I should look for? I hear a lot of people talking about sapphire and XFX?

Fakkel

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
I have the same card and same problem. Its the new drivers and it seams we are not alone found one more whit same problem :-S