Antec 1200

D

Deleted member 217926

Hey guys, I have an old Ultra Aluminus case ( http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Ultra/Aluminus ) and have basically run out of room since adding the 4th and 5th hard drives. Its not a bad (older/cheap) case but I want something with better cooling and something bigger.

I really have my mind made up on an Antec 1200 since it has 9 3.5in expansion slots, good cooling, looks good and is in my price range.

Now, if anyone who has this case or has experience with it can let me know if I will need any cable extensions or any extras I would appreciate it. Any tips or tricks for this case with my PSU? Any issues with the huge ZeroTherm Nirvana NV-120 CPU cooler fitting?

Should I get the 2 optional fans? Does the optional internal fan on the HD bay block that bay for HD installation or is it useable with both? Does the optional side fan fit with a full sized GFX card?

I will be putting the system listed below in it right now although I may upgrade my graphics card the same time as I do the case. The 9800GTX+ is a little dated. I probably will also turn up my overclock to 4ghz or a little higher when I get it in a case with good airflow.

Thanks for any advice.

Solution
If you have an Antec PSU in the 1200, I'd say you're good. The SG / TP / CP lines all have long enough cables.

Read this:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/full-tower-case,2105-4.html

The 8 pin EPS to provide power to the CPU is the one to worry about. You may wanna get one just in case. I ran the one from the SG-850 out thru the hole in the MoBo tray, up the back side, back in thru another hole and just had enough flex to get the cable in the socket.

I bought the two extra fans.

I can't tell you about the Nirvana thing. I put a Prolimatech Megahalems in it w/ IS Diaomond 7 karat thermal paste. I installed mine blowing vertically up and out the 200mm BigBoy fan but day later has Prolimatech TS tell em it perofrms betetr...

ulysses35

Distinguished
Depending on hte positioning of the power connectors on the motherbard - I managed to get away without using cable extensions on my P6T - but its a snug fit for some of the cables.

Other than that its a great case (using OCZ 700w PSU) had no cabling issues at all.

If you have an Antec PSU in the 1200, I'd say you're good. The SG / TP / CP lines all have long enough cables.

Read this:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/full-tower-case,2105-4.html

The 8 pin EPS to provide power to the CPU is the one to worry about. You may wanna get one just in case. I ran the one from the SG-850 out thru the hole in the MoBo tray, up the back side, back in thru another hole and just had enough flex to get the cable in the socket.

I bought the two extra fans.

I can't tell you about the Nirvana thing. I put a Prolimatech Megahalems in it w/ IS Diaomond 7 karat thermal paste. I installed mine blowing vertically up and out the 200mm BigBoy fan but day later has Prolimatech TS tell em it perofrms betetr blowing to rear of case.

You have 3 HD cages and the top 3 slots are for 5.25" drives. Put your HD's in the top and bottom cages, leaving the middle one empty and there's no problem w/the middle fan.

The case window fan "may" have an issue with your HSF. The window fan installs rotated 45 degrees from "flat" looking like a diamond rather than square. The fan is basically a round shroud "sandwiched" between two diamond shaped mounting squares. I used a dremel tool to trim the top tip of the diamond off on one side of the fan and have all the clearance I need.

Solution
D

Deleted member 217926

Thanks for the input guys. I have the Corsair 750TX PSU....it seems like it has great cable length but I might as well get an extension just in case. I really asked because I didnt want to get the case only to find out I have to order more parts after it gets here.

Jack, I did read that article and several others but they were a little vague about a few things. I figured I might have to mod a bit to get the side fan on. Did you get 2 more TriCool fans? If so do they wire into the existing fan control switches?

On my son's build (Antec 1200 / Antec SG-850 / Asus Rampage II Extreme aka R2E), we bought two of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835209011

The fan connectors are 3 pin and they provide a 3 pin to Molex adapter. You have three choices:

1. Connect the 3 pins to a fan controller if you bought one.

2. Connect the fans to the MoBo (R2E has 8 fan headers - 3 Chassis, 3 Optional w/ heat sensors, 1 CPU and 1 PWR).

3. Connect the fans to a Molex using the adapter. Only the 1st two give you rpm control from outside the box. They do have a 3 position switch ....little black switchie thing on the end of a 4" cable.

The modding I had to do for the case window fan can best vbe described as follows:

Imagine splitting the fan in half like a salami sandwich. You are now looking at two slices of square shaped bread side by side w/ a round slice of salami on each piece. Rotate both 45 degrees so it looks like a diamond insead of a square as this is how the fan will mount. The bread slice, if you will, that sits against the case window is fine. On the other bread slice, focus on the top corner where you can see a small white triangle of bread that isn't covered by salami ..... that's what you trim off with the dremel tool.

Now that I have made you hungry, grab a sandwich before you get out your tools. Then again, you may want to practice on the bread and salami :)

D

Deleted member 217926

Mmmmmm sandwich. lol That sandwich might not be too pretty after the Dremel tool gets hold of it. ;)

Thanks again man.

MERX2006

Distinguished
May 11, 2008

D

Deleted member 217926

THIS NON GAMER(HTPC) IS IN MARKET FOR A USED BLACK ULTRA ALUMINUS IN LIKE NEW CONDITION TO VERY CLOSE TO NEW CONDITION .. DO YOU KNOW OF AN "ALUMINUS" FOR SALE ??????????

Mine is black and in close to perfect condition....however looking at your profile it says NewCastle. I have to guess thats the one in the UK? I am in Georgia USA and you could probably buy 2 or 3 new cases for the price of shipping alone. Also the Aluminus is a full tower case. Are you sure you want something like that for a HTPC?

D

Deleted member 217926

I sent you a PM.

D

Deleted member 217926

I sent you a PM ( private message ). You should have received an email at the account you used to sign up here at Toms with a link to it.

D

Deleted member 217926

You didnt read any of this before posting did ya Jack? lol

You already had a best answer from me from over a month ago when I first posted it. I already got the 1200 and its great.

The new activity was from someone looking to buy my old case.

However I dont think he understands forums at all since I sent him a PM a week ago and he has not even read it yet.

Thanks for reposting though!