Sign in with
Your question

Building for business use (multitasking)

Last response: in Systems
August 5, 2009 3:15:43 AM

I had posted this on the "CPU & Components" Thread. I think this is the right place for it.

I am a business owner for a printing and design company looking for advice on building a PC.

The computer I wish to build (or maybe buy) will be used primarly for business and secondarlily for personal use. I will be using programs such as Microsoft Office suites, Adobe Suites (Illustrator etc), Photoshop, Accounting Software (quickbooks), internet, chat windows. Also, I would want it to be ready for Windows 7 and other new software about to come.

Although not an experienced graphics designer at the moment, I am continuosly learning so I want to make sure the computer is ready (or upgradeable) for heavy graphics design. For now, light graphics design.
PC, will also be used for my personal use but never or (on the very rare occassion) for gaming.

With feedback already provided, I have decided on the following below. I need your help in letting me know if this build will work. Are the components compatible, etc..

(NOTE: All Prices are in Canadian Dollars from Newegg.ca)

Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - $69.99

Western Digital VelociRaptor WD1500HLFS 150GB 10000 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - $209.99

Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - $79.99

SAPPHIRE 100256HDMI Radeon HD 4670 1GB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card - $78.99

CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC $109.99

OCZ Gold 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Quad kit Desktop Memory Model $104.49

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail $149.99

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8500 - Retail $219.99

Scythe S-FLEX SFF21E 120mm Case Fan - Retail $15.74

ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler - Retail $30.21

Pioneer CD/DVD Writer Black SATA Model DVR-S18M LabelFlash Support - $51.99

nMEDIAPC ZE-C68 All-in-one USB 2.0 Card Reader w/ USB Port - $10.99

Subtotal $1,132.35
Total With Shipping and Taxes $1326.31

THANKS!!!
August 5, 2009 4:13:00 AM

Overall, pretty good selections, just a few minor points I'd adjust.

Seems like everyone these days is fixated on WD VelociRaptors. I must have recommended at least 10 times today that the performance of WD Caviar Blacks or Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 perform almost as well at a fraction of the cost. Put 2 or more of these drives in a RAID array, and you get great performance without the extra cost. Also take note of the power consumption and heat generated by Raptors, it's almost twice that of the newer 7200 RPM drives! Since this is a business computer and I imagine this computer will spend most of it's time running, that's significant power use. Granted the Raptors don't tons of power when idle, but it's still more that the competition.

As for CPU, the E8500 is more suited for gaming, or performing very few CPU intensive operations at the same time. You would probably do better with a Quad Core, even if it clocks in a bit slower than the Wolfdale Core 2 Duo.

for CD/DVD, these are pretty much commodity items now, and I try not to spend more than $25 on them. If you actually need the LabelFlash, there might be a few cheaper models that have it. I never liked using them since the blanks are more expensive, but if you use them as a part of your business, it could be worth the expense on a higher quality drive.
m
l
August 5, 2009 4:43:04 AM

You will like the Antec 300 case. I have two of them, 1 for my media center rig and another for the wife.

I don't know if Microcenter ships to Canada but here's a deal hard to overlook:

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

I would also consider the AMD route. Due to the 775 socket being a dead upgrade route. AM3 is going to have quite a few new cpus available and comparable to the I7.

Snatch one of these for the AMD build:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Good overall selection of components you have there...

m
l
Related resources
August 5, 2009 5:03:13 AM

Suggestions are below:

Case: Antec Three Hundred - This link goes to NCIX where it is currently on special for about $5 less than Newegg.ca

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB - As wathman said, skip the Velociraptor drives. IMO they are nothing but a waste of money when you can get similar performance (and much higher capacity drives for that matter) for half the price. Go for one (or two if you are going to need the space) of these instead.

DVD Drive: LG GH22NS50 Black 22X SATA DVD Writer - Might as well get the same thing for half the price. DVD drives are a dime a dozen these days. And don't tell me you NEED the Lightscribe-esque feature on the Pioneer drive. You don't. Pull out a Sharpie and label your DVD like a normal person. - Sorry, Lightscribe (and similar technologies) buffs really get on my nerves.

Video Card: eVGA Geforce GTS 250 - Since you're working in Photoshop, the CS4 version offers GPU acceleration through some of the features in the program. You may want to take advantage of them. If this won't fit into your budget though. don't sweat it.

Case: Coolermaster CM 690 - This is likely the best case I have ever seen. The only knock against it is the mostly useless cable management system they put in. In theory, a good idea, but the way it is mounted in the case, it mostly just gets in the way when trying to install the motherboard. Airflow is second to none when done properly (which is not difficult at all), except for perhaps the Antec Skeleton.

That's it for suggestions, but I wanted to throw in one more note...

RAM: Good pick. Photoshop gobbles RAM like there's no tomorrow. Don't let anyone talk you out of that pick.
m
l
August 5, 2009 2:24:05 PM

Thank you for all your quick responses. I had some questions/comments:

HD - For those suggesting on the Seagate HD, do you think I should still get two HDs? My thinking (as suggested by another poster) was to have my apps/OS running off one HD (hence the velociraptor) and the data storage on another. I would then be backing up the data storage HD everynight.

DVD - I chose any DVD with 48x. I dont even care about the labelflash thing, LOL. Thanks for the recommendations on the LG DVD/CD.

VCard - I don't mind spending extra on the card. I was hoping to get one with HDMI out to hook up to my samsung t220.

RAM - Oh yeah, not going to go less than 8. Especially if I end up running 64-bit on here. Because it's a business, I am skeptical on using windows 7RC.

Case: I like the simpleness of the ANTEC 300. Again, since business use, staying away from the flashy blue lights and etc.

CPU: I can't even begin to tell you the back and forth I have been on this. I have gone from a Q9950 to i7 to E8500. From my research, unless I am purchasing the i7, there seems to be a notion that the quads aren't true "quads". Having said that, most reviews are for gaming machines, so I am open to suggestions. I think and E8500 with 8Rams and a nice Vcard, I should have no problems running my various apps....I am open to hearing otherwise!

Thanks again....I am going to make changes mentioned here and see what my new total (hopefully lower) comes to! :) 

m
l
August 5, 2009 4:09:51 PM

don't worry too much about getting a video card that has HDMI out on it. The only difference between DVI and HDMI is the fact that HDMI can transmit both audio and video on the same cable. You can find DVI to HDMI adapters just about anywhere also.
m
l
August 5, 2009 11:44:16 PM

phife99 said:
Thank you for all your quick responses. I had some questions/comments:

HD - For those suggesting on the Seagate HD, do you think I should still get two HDs? My thinking (as suggested by another poster) was to have my apps/OS running off one HD (hence the velociraptor) and the data storage on another. I would then be backing up the data storage HD everynight.

DVD - I chose any DVD with 48x. I dont even care about the labelflash thing, LOL. Thanks for the recommendations on the LG DVD/CD.

VCard - I don't mind spending extra on the card. I was hoping to get one with HDMI out to hook up to my samsung t220.

RAM - Oh yeah, not going to go less than 8. Especially if I end up running 64-bit on here. Because it's a business, I am skeptical on using windows 7RC.

Case: I like the simpleness of the ANTEC 300. Again, since business use, staying away from the flashy blue lights and etc.

CPU: I can't even begin to tell you the back and forth I have been on this. I have gone from a Q9950 to i7 to E8500. From my research, unless I am purchasing the i7, there seems to be a notion that the quads aren't true "quads". Having said that, most reviews are for gaming machines, so I am open to suggestions. I think and E8500 with 8Rams and a nice Vcard, I should have no problems running my various apps....I am open to hearing otherwise!

Thanks again....I am going to make changes mentioned here and see what my new total (hopefully lower) comes to! :) 

HDD: - If you're going to be doing nightly backups, then perhaps a second drive wouldn't be a bad idea. Just don't bother getting a Velociraptor. Those are more geared towards gaming systems where lower file access times are required. Nightly backups benefit more from higher overall data throughput than they do from faster access times.

Video: Again, like wathman said, HDMI isn't really necessary. However, there are instances where DVI can transmit audio. The second "link" in a dual link DVI cable, that is, the middle 9 pins on the cable, are used as the lanes for an audio signal instead of video. Unless you're going to be hooking this up to a TV though, I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

RAM: Since you're going with 8GB, you have to get 64 bit. Otherwise you might as well save the money and get 4GB of RAM. The 32bit operating system will only address 3.25 (depending on the other hardware in the system), and some applications, like VMware Workstation, will address 4GB regardless of the other hardware installed, but nothing will address any ram above 4GB when operating in a 32 bit environment. Oh, and don't trust any RC of an operating system in a production environment. Only install a pre-RTM copy of an operating system on test machines or any box you can afford to wipe out and which doesn't contain any mission critical data. Upgrade offers to Windows 7 are now being offered on standalone purchases of Windows Vista at most (if not all) retailers in Canada. Use this as your avenue to get 7 once it becomes available October 22nd.

Case: I actually pointed out the CM 690 for it's ease of install and cooling abilities. The only screws (and thus screw drivers) required are when you're mounting the power supply and motherboard. Hard drive(s), expansion cards, Optical drives... etc. can all be held in place by lowering the various retention clips for the respective devices. The 300 is still a good case cooling-wise, so if you're set on that one, go for it.

CPU: Technically the 9000 series Intel quads are dual-die, dual core chips. The net result of 4 cores is the same though. It really makes no difference in your case. The E8500 chip is no slouch when it comes to the performance you want from this machine. That being said, I vote to go for the 9550 if you can afford to. If not, I have no doubt you will be more than satisfied with the E8500.
m
l
August 6, 2009 7:08:57 PM

Thank you wathman and prophecy. I am going to make some updates and see what they come out too. Keep y'all posted!
m
l
August 6, 2009 9:33:01 PM

try pricing this

i7 920
x58 mb
12 gig of ram [ 6 for now and 6 more later ? ]

550 watt psu

forget about
additional cpu cooler , the cpu comes with one and it works fine
thermal paste is already on the stock cooler
velociraptor is junk , the tech is years old and I wish theyd stop making them
the antec 300 case already has enough fans , but I would probaly use a better quieter case like the antec Sonata with its included psu , or antec p182 , and those also have enough fans fitted

You should be able to build the i7 system under that budget , and it will be a far superior machine
m
l
August 6, 2009 10:05:51 PM

phife99 said:
It's funny you mention that, I came across this deal on tigerdirect.ca:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/searchtools/item...

What you guys think?

I think its far better value than the e8500 system
BUT
unless you want to go gaming you can shave money off that price by buying your own components and wind up with a better computer
m
l
!