3870 X2

dviz

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
I have been having a problem with my 3870 X2 card while playing games. Every so often, about once a week or so, my screen will freeze, go black, and then give me a BSOD blaming 'atikmdag' for the problem. I've downloaded the newest drivers/catalyst, updated mobo chipset, run memtest, and verified that my PSU is powerful enough...but I have had no luck solving this problem. I called ATI and they basically told me to update the graphics driver and chipset, which I had already done.

This isn't a huge problem, as my comp runs fine 99% of the time and only freezes while i'm playing a game...but I would really like to know what the problem is so I can avoid any potentially damaging problems.

ASUS P5Q SE/R Motherboard
Intel Q9400 CPU
MSI HD Radeon 3870 X2
8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800
600W OCZ StealthXStream PSU
Vista 64-bit

zachary k

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
i would like to know what kind of performance you get out of your 3870X2, i got one 3870 and was thinking about getting another one to get another year of life out of it, or if it would just be better to upgrade to a new single card.

dviz

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
So far I love it, with the exception of this problem i'm having. This is my first build so I don't have a ton to compare it to, but I can run Crysis on high with no problems.

dviz

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
I removed the update and I guess now I just have to wait to see if the problem persists. I noticed that my automatic update icon on the shut down button is saying I have new updates, and when I click on it, it shows me the KB952287 update. Is it going to continue doing this or is there some way to make it stop?

dviz

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
Actually, I was playing a game last night my comp froze followed by BSOD...when I restarted, I checked my recent updates and saw that KB952287 had been installed automatically the previous night. Do I need to do something to permanently remove this update?

I'm not on that computer right now, so i'm not sure which SP i'm on, but I should be up to date. How long ago was SP2 released?

dviz

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
Do you think have 8GB instead of 4 would be the cause of this problem? It only happens about once a week, with no regularity, but my comp runs fine 99% of the time.

UPDATE: So I just ran memtest with 4GB and the test started but the screen went black and the comp started to reboot within a few seconds. I have tested all 4 sticks of RAM one at a time and they all passed fine....any ideas why this is happening?

dviz

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
I tested each of the 2GB sticks one at a time and they all passed memtest.

When I have 4GB or 8GB in all at once, memtest starts but after a few seconds it is rebooting my computer and BIOS reloads causing memtest to load up again...and this keeps repeating itself. It does NOT BSOD when this happens...the only BSOD I ever get is while playing a game and has never happened under any other condition (that I know of yet).

I have not OC'ed anything at all as I have no experience doing so.

I posted some of my CPU-z screens in this post....http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/253902-29-3dmark06-scores

Not sure my CPU temps under load...what app would be good for this info?

dodonga

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
Hey i've been having the same problem with my ATI Radeon 9600, i get the bsod and atikmdag, how ever im running windows 7, how can i uninstall that stuff from the update to vista or xp?

dviz

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
Ok, I figured out the problem with memtest...turns out I was using an old version. After downloading memtest86+ I passed with no problems.

However, friday night I had a BSOD again...after having uninstalled KB952287. I will check that site you linked, zipzoomflyhigh...but do you have any other recommendations?

kernwaffe

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
Has anyone brought to your attention you might need to flash the bios? I'm pretty certain I had that setup at one point in time (VERY similar to your build) & had to update the bios, as the mobo was sad with the ram speed. It'd work just fine, I'd load a power intensive game (World in Conflict, graphics 3/4 way up), and you're describing what happened to me. Go to asus.com & search for your mobo- I don't like their site setup, but goto downloads & look at Bios revisions- download the most updated, & put it on a flashdrive. Make sure the format is NOT NTFS!! It needs to be FAT or FAT16! I cannot stress the hours spent crying wondering why I couldn't update my bios to install my OS to download the files I needed!