Sign in with
Your question

Phenom II X2 564 boot fail

Last response: in Overclocking
September 23, 2011 2:25:20 PM

Hello,
Sorry if this has been asked before but I have searched but can't find the answer. I have an amd phenom II x2 560 and with win xp pro 32bit I can change to hybrid and unlock all cores and it tests out ok with prime95, it will even run stable overclocked to 4000ghz on 4 cores. When I try other hdd with win 7 pro 64bit as soon as change to hybrid it will not boot even with cores 2 + 3 disabled. I have tried slower clock speed, different voltages, different cores enabled but in hybrid no boot. Hope you can help.
System
mobo - gigabyte ma78lmt-us2h (xilence nb cooler + fan)
psu - 750w
cpu - phenom II x2 560 black (arctic freezer 7 pro rev 2)
mem - 2 x 4gb corsair ddr3 1600mhz
hdd - 1tb samsung (win 7 pro)
hdd - 160gb samsung (win xp pro)
graphics - radeon hd670
thanks

More about : phenom 564 boot fail

a b K Overclocking
September 23, 2011 11:41:07 PM

Run one OS...That will remedy your problem for boot.... a nice clean install of Win 7 64-bit...As for the chips extra cores not workin... well when you ran it up to 4 GHz I bet those cores gave up on you...At 4 GHz...What were the temps? What was the voltage? BTW...lose the dual boot set-up for OCing..Why not just run a VM if you want to run XP?
September 25, 2011 11:35:11 AM

lowjack989 said:
Run one OS...That will remedy your problem for boot.... a nice clean install of Win 7 64-bit...As for the chips extra cores not workin... well when you ran it up to 4 GHz I bet those cores gave up on you...At 4 GHz...What were the temps? What was the voltage? BTW...lose the dual boot set-up for OCing..Why not just run a VM if you want to run XP?

Thanks for your reply but I might not have explained properly this is a new build with new install of win 7 on 1tb hdd everything set up as stock all progs etc installed system running as it should, then I tried to unlock cores (running at stock values) and it wouldn't boot in hybrid couldn't even boot from cd rom so the cores wouldn't unlock before any overclocking. Out of curiousity I swapped hdd to one with xp (32bit) on and booted fine unlocked cores no probs and ran as 4 core tried overclocking to test stability as 4 core and it ran ok up to 4hgz tested with prime 95 monitored with cpu- z and cpuid HW monitor temps maxed out at 52 on full load with 1.44v. I don't want to run at that speed just testing. Swapped back to other hdd with win 7 boots fine as 2 core but still not with hybrid enabled.
I'm going to stick with the win 7 setup it just bugs me that I can't find out why it runs as 4 core on win xp but not on win 7
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
September 25, 2011 5:33:29 PM

I am lost on your term of "hydrid"...Whay the hell is hybrid?...You have a dual core CPU...The other cores are faulty..As for the anomoly you described that XP will boot with cores unlocked...I would chalk it up to a 32-bit glitch that works.
September 25, 2011 9:09:33 PM

lowjack989 said:
I am lost on your term of "hydrid"...Whay the hell is hybrid?...You have a dual core CPU...The other cores are faulty..As for the anomoly you described that XP will boot with cores unlocked...I would chalk it up to a 32-bit glitch that works.

In BIOS setup under 'advanced clock calibration' all 4 cores show as being there but lower down there's only the 2 active ones shown. in 'EC firmware selection' the choice is normal or hybrid - normal leaves it at stock - hybrid unlocks the other cores. It's with the hybrid EC firmware enabled that it doesn't boot in win 7 no matter how many cores are enabled but does in win xp
!