Want to upgrade CPU

cowskie

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
I have a HP Pavilion ZV6233nr laptop. I had recently upgraded my ram (512mb to 2gb) and now want to upgrade my cpu to hopefully stop my laptop from overheating and shutting down.

After doing some research, I found out that my motherboard is an ATI RS480m 939 chipset with hypertransport and DDR 333mhz memory support.
I currently have an AMD Athlon 64bit processor 3200+ (single core).

Is my motherboard compatible with dual core processors? if so any suggestions?

1) A dual core S939 CPU would generate more heat, not less.

2) You would have to download the service manual for that model to find out what CPUs your particular motherboard supports.

3) Dual core 939 CPUs are expensive and hard to come by. It's cheaper just to get a faster used laptop.

4) If it's overheating with a lowly 3200, it's going to be alot worse with any dual core CPU. You will have to upgrade the cooling assembly to cope with the extra heat, that's if you're motherboard doesn't die trying to supply the extra power.

1) A dual core S939 CPU would generate more heat, not less.

A desktop 939 DC would not have a fully functional BIOS on that laptop. For starters, the FSB would be incorrect and the CPU would run at a lesser speed than it does on a destop MB with proper BIOS support. besides that, a desktop CPU would not mount up properly inside the laptop case (A Mobile 939 CPU is much shorter). No HSF would work with a desktop CPU insie the case. Been there done that. I have had an AMD Mobile 3200 2.0GHz. Socket 939 running on a desktop MB. It works, but is not fully functional with the BIOS issues.

2) You would have to download the service manual for that model to find out what CPUs your particular motherboard supports.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00364919.pdf