Your question

Pc hanging after small magnets was attached to casing

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Motherboards
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
August 5, 2009 4:41:06 AM

Ok, this is really wierd problem i got. i have no idea what happened.

Scenario, a friend of mine brought small patch, the one gets attached to fridges, doors, etc. and attached it to my cpu from the right side next to the dvd-rom.

The moment he attached it, the pc hanged. now, whenever im using, at very inconsistent periods, the pc just hangs. no BSOD, no msg, no nothing. it Hangs (freezes).

i tried to removing the power plugs, i even removed the motherboard cabling (motherboard to psu).

anyone encountered something like this? any idea why is it happening? solutions?

More about : hanging small magnets attached casing

a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
August 5, 2009 4:46:56 AM

It messed up a chunk of your hard drive, do a full disk check, that might be able to recover some of the corrupted sectors.

Were you never taught that magnets and computers dont mix? Even a small magnet will cause a distortion in the carefully created magnetic field of the hard drive and corrupt some of the data.
m
l
August 5, 2009 4:49:51 AM

^+1 Agreed...
m
l
Related resources
August 5, 2009 5:41:24 AM

and the magnet was close to the hard drives, ouch.
m
l
August 5, 2009 5:43:32 AM

well. it wasnt really that close. umm. distance of 9-10inches. but i guess ya!

that what my thought was. sigh, i have a viva presentation (thesis defense for my masters degree, in one hour).

what can be a good tool to test the hard disk thoroughly.

any possibility of it corrupting my bios?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
August 5, 2009 5:46:38 AM

It is unlikely for you to have burnt out an IC with a refridgrator magnet. If you are running windows there will be a utility called check disk, check all the boxes and run that, be aware that it usually takes a couple hours, i usually do it overnight.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
August 5, 2009 5:50:33 AM

I find it pretty much impossible to believe that a fridge magnet would cause any problems for a disk drive. Every mechanical disk drive has a very powerful magnet INSIDE it which drives the voice coil head actuator. Some of the magnets I've taken out of disk drives can lift several pounds and they certainly doesn't cause any problems for the drives.

It actually takes a very intense magnetic field to affect the recording layer of a disk drive. The field produced by the heads isn't that strong, but it's concentrated into a very, very tiny area. The magnetic field from an ordinary fridge magnet is negligible by comparison. Contamination issues aside, I doubt it would affect the recorded information even if you tried to stick it on the surface of the platter.

I suspect a coincidence, or perhaps a static zap is responsible for the OPs problems...
m
l
August 5, 2009 6:00:23 AM

ya, im doing it now (with windows 7 RC).

ill have to check all my hard partitions right? the incident happen while i was using windows xp in my other partition. i wont need to check using xp, right?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
August 5, 2009 6:01:27 AM

You gotta be kidding me......
m
l
August 5, 2009 6:05:29 AM

no, im not kidding. im very upset, it is breaking my heart how my pc is now.

sminlal said:

I suspect a coincidence, or perhaps a static zap is responsible for the OPs problems...

it cant be a coincidence that im sure off. my pc never hanged before. It just happened the moment the magnet was attached. and been happening afterwards.

what is static zap? never heard of it. what you suggest i do about it?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
August 5, 2009 6:47:13 AM

Do you have another PC where you can test the hard-drive?
m
l
August 5, 2009 10:16:20 AM

not right now. i might be able to arrange that. First scan for the xp partition showed no error or bad sectors!

now im checking other partitions.
m
l
August 5, 2009 2:29:47 PM

I have 3 large magnets (fridge type) on the side of my case, like Hunter 315 says it's unlikly that would hurt the harddrive. I would suspect a bad sector or static charge (rub your sock feet on a carpet then touch a metal object (NOT your computer) you get zapped. That can hurt motherboards, etc...
m
l
a b V Motherboard
August 5, 2009 2:37:49 PM

night_wolf_in said:
what is static zap? never heard of it. what you suggest i do about it?
Static electricity is what you get when you walk across a carpet on a very dry day and then get a shock when you touch something metallic like a door handle. Static electricity can damage integrated circuits, and if it happens there isn't much your can do about it other than replacement.

But it's not all that likely that zapping the computer case with static electricity would hurt anything. Perhaps more dangerous would be zapping the leads of a cable what was connected to the system.
m
l
August 6, 2009 7:49:38 AM

i did the harddisk test (for all harddisks and partitions using windows utility) then did another long test using the ultimateboot disk. digonase the harddisk. both return with no errors what so ever.

now, ill just use my pc for a while and c if the phenomena happens again or not (hang). at night gonna do memtest for my rams. sigh. i have no idea what went wrong.
m
l
August 6, 2009 4:48:06 PM

try the simple things first, to do a restore to an earlier time, Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore, and pick a time before this started, if it stops then you know it was data corruption, if it doesn't well it was a coinsidence, but you will get a answer
m
l
August 8, 2009 2:13:36 PM

hi guys im back.

just wanted to tell that my pc is fine now. i didnt do anything other than running scandisk and diagnose using UBCD.

Im really glad that the hangs/freezes did stop.

Lesson learned, dont bring any magnet next to my cpu!
m
l
!