To buy or not to buy (an ssd)

rkkonrad

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
Ok so I'm in the market for a new ssd. I evga 780i sli mb so I won't really be able to reap the benefits of the new sata III SSD's. I was looking for some good cheap sata II SSDs and was really pleased with the crucial C300 128 Gb (I know it is sata 6 gb/s, but the $230 pricetag isn't close to new gen pricings). I saw it got good reviews on newegg and tigerdirect, and that it was stable and reliable.

Now the problem is newegg, and their sales. The corsair f115 was put up for about $160. I can't seem to get too many reviews on the f115. Its marketed read/writes are 280/270 which doesn't seem too bad. I'm torn between getting this "cheap" ssd now (comes out to 1.39 gb/$) and then upgrading in a year or so when I build a new machine with Sata 6gb/s. Maybe I should wait to get the C300 when it comes on sale? I don't really want to spend much over $200.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a bundle.

if you are patient and check newegg.com every day, you will find that newegg sometimes has the Crucial realSSD C300, 128 GB, SATA III (6 Gb/s) solid state drive on sale for $199.99 and free shipping. Earlier in the the year newegg had a one day sale price of $179.99.

SATA III (6 Gb/s) ssd's are backwards compatible with SATA II (3 Gb/s) ports on motherboards. There will be a performance hit until you purchase a new motherboard.

rkkonrad

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
Yea I saw some people talking about those sales.
Does anyone know anything about the f115 though? I looks pretty decent but I can't find any reviews except the 10 on newegg. All I've found out was that it is the 25nm ssd so it might a small hit in performance.