High idle temps i7-965 with liquid cooling.

iamkramseyer

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011
Hello Tom's Hardware!

I have a problem with my system. :( I just purchased this system on eBay recently. Everything going smoothly regarding overall performance. But there's a problem. The idle and full load temps are really high! Idle's around 50's while Load's around 80's :( I've uploaded the pictures here for reference. The only setting that I changed in the bios is the CPU multiplier which is x29. I'm wondering if the CPU block is the problem or if I should put some new thermal paste. Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

hightemp.png

09242011855.jpg

09242011854.jpg

09242011853.jpg

09242011852.jpg

09242011850.jpg

1) Is your room temperature unusually high? Even liquid cooling starts with the ambient air temperature.

2) Is the radiator getting air from inside the case, or from outside? If inside, it gets lots of hot vga air to work with.
Better to intake from outside, I think.

3) If the heat sink is in any way loose, you need to reseat it.
If you do, you must clean off all of the old material and apply new.

4) Do you do better if you remove the side covers of the case, and direct a house fan at the innards?
If so, look at your case cooling.

iamkramseyer

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011
Hello again!

1. This computer system was shipped from the USA to the Philippines so it's usually hot in here.

2. How is it possible to switch from getting air outside to inside and vice versa?

3. I think right now the heat sink is still tight.

4. I think I'll try this method.

I think if I that VCore it'll restart with a BSOD with 101 meaning raising more VCore. Am I suppose to turn on the VDroop on or not?

If your ambient temperature is 25c(77f.), it would be normal if your idle temp were 40-45c. or thereabouts.

Check the airflow direction of the radiator fan. Dangle some tissue in front of the fan and see if it is sucked in, or blown out.
You should be able to flip the fan over to reverse the direction. For best cpu cooling, it is best to give the radiator fresh outside air to work with.
But, this will be at the expense of heating up the interior of the case. That, in torn will give the graphics cards hotter air to work with.
Still, graphics cards are built to tolerate hot running.