casualbuilder

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
I am looking to add an exhaust fan to the rear panel to help aid in the heat dissapation from my GPU (why they dont have gpu's that force air out the back ill never know). I want to look for something with a moderately high cfm, as i need quick exhaust capabilities. If LED's are present, RED is preferred. Please refer all items from newegg.com.

Specs:

ENGTX560 (810Mhz OC'd to 950Mhz)
PSU: HX750
MoBo: Sabertooth 990FX
CPU: Phenom IIx4 955BE (4.1GHz)
HSF: Zalman 9900

*Notes to consider: 2x's 200mm top exhaust fans
Rear Exhaust fan
Side and front both Intakes
80mm mounted to HDD bays
Zalman pointed out the rear exhaust (does not point upwards)

Solution
That card does theoretically exhaust (at least some) heat out the rear of the case, I personally prefer shrouds with a bit more to them though
if your after a 5c drop, I'd look at either a better cooler on the Cpu, possibly watercooling if your so inclined and can afford it
drop the O/c on the card (The idea hurts I know, but the O/c is adding more heat)
The 80mm by the drive cage probably isn't doing much either way to be honest, get a good clear flow from the front 120/140 and see what removing the side fan does for temps as well
Moto

slcmike

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011

140mm - 120mm are standard and will move more air at lower speeds then an 80mm...and be quieter.

A lot of gfx cards DO exhaust out of the rear of the case these days, what model card do you have?
I've had a slotfan in mine before and it made a slight difference although I never measured exact temps with/without it
and technically yes, lowering the gpu's heat output will obviously affect the cpu temps, but a such a marginal increment its negligible, you wont see a degree drop on cpu temp unless your cards are toasting hot
Moto

slcmike

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011

Sure, I would imagine that'd work just as well. Trying to cool everything in your case to the extreme is like pissing on a forest fire. It will work but damn if it aint a waste of time.

casualbuilder

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
thanks moto. my gpu is an ASUS ENGTX560 (Fermi). At load, it runs at 62c (gpu), and my cpu runs at 58c under load, which is the reason im considering adding fans for a drop in this. I would like to decrease the cpu temp by a minimum of 5c for any added money in fans. Low 50's to high 40's under load is preferrable. Any suggestions would be great!

That card does theoretically exhaust (at least some) heat out the rear of the case, I personally prefer shrouds with a bit more to them though
if your after a 5c drop, I'd look at either a better cooler on the Cpu, possibly watercooling if your so inclined and can afford it
drop the O/c on the card (The idea hurts I know, but the O/c is adding more heat)
The 80mm by the drive cage probably isn't doing much either way to be honest, get a good clear flow from the front 120/140 and see what removing the side fan does for temps as well
Moto

Solution

casualbuilder

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
so to double check:

Replace the 80mm on the HDD Bay with a 120mm-140mm fan
Remove the side fan completely?

Side note, temps are ok as is, but my chip has room to "grow" (cpu). I know water cooling is the best route to go, however, im in that "enthusiasts" group, so if i were to go water cooling, it would be a custom loop, and cost roughly $600 as i have previously priced one. This is in the future, but i was asking for air cooling fixes for immediate/cheap fixes.

Assuming you already have a front fan (in the bezel?) theres no need for an additional fan on the drivecage, its in the path of the frontfans airflow so potentially detrimental to the cooling, although you may say that an extra fan is good, in some cases they actually hurt cooling
same as the sidefan, some cases/gpu's benefit from a sidefan on the gfx card, some dont, its test and measure to find out which it is for your set up
but if the 80mm is in the way of a larger front fan, I say just ditch it
Moto

casualbuilder

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
front fan is at the bottom of the chassis, this is at the top, almost perfectly perpendicular to the top front mount. no airflow is restricted as far as setup. ill have to fool around with it.

Thanks to all that contributed