Is my PSU failing?

thehollowman

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
My homebuilt PC has been overclocked for about 6 months now, running fine until recently, when playing Batman: Arkham Asylum, it has started to throw graphics artifacts at me. I inititally thought it must be my GFX card, but temps are well within normal numbers, and I have cleaned all the heatsinks and fans and reseated the card. After the last crash, the PC could not restart with its overclocking settings, turning over like a broken down car. It runs currently at default settings, but any attempt to overclock it fails.

System is as follows:
Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 2.80GHz (OC'd to 3.56GHZ, idle temp 38C, 100% temp 50C)
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 PRO
MSI P45 Neo-F iP45 Socket 775 Motherboard
OCZ 4GB PC2-6400 DDR2 Reaper HPC (2x2GB)
1TB Samsung Spinpoint F1 SATA2 7200RPM 32MB cache
Gigabyte GF 8800GT SLI 512MB DDR3 (Not OC'd, idle temp 39C, 100% temp 50-55C)
Enermax Liberty 500W v2.2 Black PSU

When the system restarts now, it takes several attempts for it to get all the components going, the fans turning on and off several times before it starts properly. So is this my PSU failing? My CPU? My GFX card?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I would continue to run it at the default settings. Hard to say which component is failing, but it could even be the cpu. Overclocking isn't bulletproof when stressing your system. I wouldn't waste money replacing components at this point for a few higher frame rates. Wait for a catastrophic failure if you can, unless you're rich.