AMD Athlon 64 X2 7850+, Asus M3A76-CM - no beeps, no video....

sharju11

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
Hi all,

I have built only 3 or 4 computers before and I haven't really messed anything up in the past, but I feel I may have this time because I cannot get it to work.

I cannot get to the bios with the new system I am building. The system I have is:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 7850+
Asus M3A76-CM mobo
4GB DDR2 (Kingston brand)
Rite Star 600 Watt Power Supply

I have not connected my hard drive or any optical drives yet.

The system powers on with the green led on the motherboard, all the fans turn on, but I cannot get video and I get no beep codes. I have tried to take out the ram and I still get no beep codes.

I did get it to work once when I was working on it yesterday, but then I think I did something kind of stupid, I wanted to try it with extra ram. I added 2gb of ddr2 ram from my old pc (different brand, don't know the brand at the moment because I am at work), and when I powered it on with the 6gb of ram I smelled a little bit of a burn smell. I powered it off and took out the ram immediately, and it smelled like it was the 2gb ram that burnt, it was very faint but I am not sure, I am hoping it wasn't the cpu (I don't know why the cpu would have fried by adding 2gb extra ram though).

So, I tried to power it back up with the everything I had before, minus the 2gb extra ram. I get no video and no beeps from the motherboard, but everything powers up, and I have a green led on the motherboard. I then tried it without any ram and I still get no video and no beeps. I do know that I should get the repeating 3 beep code if I have no ram, but nothing is happening.

I am wondering if somehow the cpu got fried and that is why nothing is happening.

If anyone can let me know if it sounds like the cpu may be fried or if it may be anything else, any advise would be very helpful.

Thank you!

sharju11

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
Unfortunately, I have read the manual which is very thin and not much of help, mainly why I came here for additional help.

I moved the jumpers to clear the CMOS after I took the 2gb ram out. Shouldn't it give some type of beep code if there is no RAM though?

When I get home Ill try it with one stick of RAM.