4GB DDR2 - Way too slow :(

Last response: in Overclocking
September 24, 2011 7:28:24 AM

I have an intel rig that was built some 3 years back . Here are its specs :

Core2Quad Q8200@2.33GHz
IntelDG35EC
2x2GB Dynet 800 Mhz DDR2
160GB Seagate HDD
ASUS ENGTX460 DirectCU TOP ( added some 5 days back)
Windows 7 32-bit

Inspite of having 4Gigs of DDR2 the transfer rates of files from one partition to an partition other seems to be very slow. Even when installing any application or a game it takes helluva lot of time. How can i rectify this ? Are there any settings in the computer that is worth taking a peek at to solve this issue ?

Thanks in advance

More about : 4gb ddr2 slow

a b K Overclocking
September 24, 2011 6:31:17 PM

your HD is most likely the issue but you should go download some bench tools to test this and post there results here. to bench your HD go get crystaldiskmark (i prefer HDtune but its a bit more complex) that will test your HD. then go get maxxmem2 and run that. this will give real raw data for your performance.

m
l
September 24, 2011 7:31:50 PM

ncc74656 said:
your HD is most likely the issue but you should go download some bench tools to test this and post there results here. to bench your HD go get crystaldiskmark (i prefer HDtune but its a bit more complex) that will test your HD. then go get maxxmem2 and run that. this will give real raw data for your performance.

Here is the link to the results : http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc385/scapegoat_44/...
http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc385/scapegoat_44/...

Hope this helps
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
September 24, 2011 7:42:18 PM

when you say very slow, what is the exact speeds you are getting when transferring data? also what are the exact sizes of you partitions?
m
l
September 24, 2011 7:58:35 PM

ncc74656 said:
when you say very slow, what is the exact speeds you are getting when transferring data? also what are the exact sizes of you partitions?

Mine is a Seagate 150GB Harddisk and has four partitions with the windows partition being 30Gb and the rest being 40 Gigs each . Its speed starts around 35Mb/s and keeps decreasing at a rapid pace . This is bearable but it really takes ample lot of time when installing games . Could you infer anything from the test results ??

BTW , love your signature ;) 
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 24, 2011 8:54:07 PM

that HD hates you for those partitions... as a HD moves outwards on its platters it slows down. having 4 partitions on such a small HD must have a horrid level of fragmentation. your bench mark tests are not that far off from what a normal HD should be. perhaps a bit on the slow end but considering the HD it does nto appear to be running slow at all but rather average. i would assume you have fragmentation issues or perhaps file system issues if its going very very slow. also as you transfer large file it will run faster, perhaps 60mb/s ish on the outside of the drive and 80mb/s on the inside of the drive. if you transfer small files say, less than 100mb each then your speeds will be much slower, perhaps half that of files larger than 100mb. if you transfer files smaller than 10mb then your looking at 15mb/s or slower. its just the way HD's work.
m
l
!