Sign in with
Your question

Data recovery

Last response: in Storage
May 17, 2011 6:45:41 AM

Hey guys,

So last night I was encrypting one of my storage HDs with True Crypt and during the process my computer shut down.

Blue screen of death when I tried to boot up
Reformated my C drive
Reinstalled windows on C drive

Now on my other drive that was unmounted during the true crypt process I am looking for a way to recover some of the files that were on there.

Windows won't let me access it with out formating it but of course that doesn't help me.

Are there any software recommendations anyone could give me to solve this problem? I have some documents that are important to me that i would like to get before reformatting this drive.

Any help is appreciated greatly

More about : data recovery

a c 85 G Storage
May 17, 2011 2:16:06 PM

Is the second HDD encrypted or not? If not, try this free app: www.piriform.com/recuva

Please clarify and good luck!
May 17, 2011 5:07:39 PM

Thanks for the response.

I'm not really sure if its encrypted. If it is it is only partially (if thats even possible)
Its actually 2 HDD in RAID 1 (ironic) that are on F:/
but the disk is unmounted

I tried recuva but since I can't even access F:/ I couldn't get it to focus on that area, I will mess around with it some more

This is a SS of what my disk management page looks like if this helps with showing the problem more clearly

Related resources
a c 85 G Storage
May 17, 2011 5:17:35 PM

What make/model of motherboard are you using? There is a chance that all you have to do is restore/repair/rebuild your RAID to recover your files.
May 17, 2011 5:27:07 PM

Asus Striker II Formula
a c 85 G Storage
May 17, 2011 5:30:22 PM

nvcn said:
Asus Striker II Formula

I should have guessed.....seem to be an inordinate number of threads, on several forum sites (including Microsoft's) regarding these mobos and RAIDs. Stand by, I'll see what I can come up with.
May 17, 2011 5:31:54 PM

Thank you much
a c 85 G Storage
May 17, 2011 5:35:37 PM

Do you have this latest version of your mobo chipset drivers installed?

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce-vista-win7-64bit-15...

I assume you are running Win 7 x64. If not, get the latest and install for your flavor of Windows. Reinstalling the RAID drivers may reinitialize the RAID itself.
a c 85 G Storage
May 17, 2011 5:39:22 PM

Also, what make/model of HDDs are you using?
May 17, 2011 5:48:32 PM

2 x Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
May 17, 2011 6:20:17 PM

I installed the drivers but no luck yet..

For some reason Seatools isn't finding my drives.

I'm going to run the DOS version to see if theres a change
a c 85 G Storage
May 17, 2011 8:08:45 PM

nvcn said:
I installed the drivers but no luck yet..

For some reason Seatools isn't finding my drives.

I'm going to run the DOS version to see if theres a change

Check your BIOS to make sure it recognizes the drives properly and that the proper RAID mode is configured.
!