Tags:
  • Radeon
  • Dell Studio Xps
  • Performance
  • ATI
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
August 26, 2009 10:07:35 AM

I upgraded my ati 3870 in my dell xps 420 to an ati sapphire 4890 vapor-x last night, I did this knowing I only had a 375watt psu but I figured I would just uprade it on the weekend if I receive any problems. I haven't receieved any crashes, lockups, artifacts although I've only had it a day, even so I will upgrade my psu on the weekend just to be safe.

But I expected better performance in games like counter strike and team fortress 2 seem to run exactly the same if anything a little slowdown in TF2 with maximum quality, they still run well but I expected more, I also play eve online and performance in that has improved a little because I can now enable options like bloom and have adaptive anti-aliasing on with similar fps to what I had with these options off on the old card.

I just expected more of an increase, Don't get me wrong my framerates are more than playable hitting 170fps at times in TF2 and every graphic setting at the max and I understand the argument anything past 60fps isnt noticible which is why I have vsync enabled but I just expect to get what I pay for that’s all.

So could it be my psu? My cpu Bottlenecking my GPU (2.33ghz quad)or just me being plain fussy :p 

More about : 4890 performance problems

August 26, 2009 12:41:55 PM

well first off you are fussy wanting more then 170 fps lol..

Old games like css dont require that much gpu power, so they hit a cpu bottleneck

Also the higher the resolution, less the strain is on the cpu.

And seeing its a DELL i doubt you can overclock
August 26, 2009 2:46:27 PM

If that is a single core cpu you are choking the card.

Beyond that.. 170fps is about right, given the cpu limit. The GPU can only provide so many more fps (or eye candy) if it has to wait for the cpu every frame. The card seems to be working properly.
Related resources
August 26, 2009 3:10:50 PM

daedalus685 said:
If that is a single core cpu you are choking the card.

Beyond that.. 170fps is about right, given the cpu limit. The GPU can only provide so many more fps (or eye candy) if it has to wait for the cpu every frame. The card seems to be working properly.

Hi, thanks for all your replies it’s not that I want more than 170fps I just expected it to be more :p 

I guess I didn’t think of the bottlenecking that could occur and I don’t want to upgrade the cpu yet, i’m happy keeping things the way they are, I’m still getting higher performance than with my old card with everything at maximum quality so I’m happy with that.

I just wanted clarification as to the reason and that it wasn’t something like a fault or a problem with the drivers which now I know, thanks :D 
August 26, 2009 3:31:23 PM

duplicate post