GTX 300s, PhysX, 3D 120Hz, etc. questions (for the future)

terminus

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
Some time way in the future I see myself buying a GTX 300s so I just have a few questions regarding some Nvidia features.

-ATM I have EVGA GTX 275 personally OC, instead of using it as a paper weight can I use it as a dedicated PhysX card?

-Why are there no 3D 120Hz 1920x1080 monitors? is it because dual DVI can not support that much or is it because video cards presently can not support that much? can HDMI support it?

-If I get two GPUs (GTX 300s and GTX 275) can they be separately OC?

-I know on "normal" ATX Mobos dual GPUs tend to get hot since they are side by side sandwiching eachother, but I have a 90 degrees ATX (Silverstone Raven series), does that eliminate this problem?

-thanks!

1: You can use the 275GTX as a PhysX card, but the GT300 is roumerd to be so insanly powerful, I doubt there will be any significant benifit

2: I've seen a 22" 120Hz moniter...the problem is that such high refresh rates require insanly low Repsonse Times from individual pixels across the entire color spectrum, and most moniters are still "worse then 5ms average in that category...

5ms = .005 sec
120Hz * .005 = .6

What the above means is that a moniter at 120Hz listed with a 5ms best case Response Time will, in the best possible case, experiance no ghosting (the pixels respond 60% quicker then the time it takes to ready the next image). The problem is that in most cases, the highest possible response time will be doube what is listed, so the worst case would be:

10ms = .010 sec
120Hz * .010 sec = 1.2

In the worse possible case, it taxes 120% LONGER for pixles to change compared to the time it takes to ready the next image, so there will be occurences of ghosting. And since getting such low Response Times is expensive, it makes much more economic sense to keep LCD's running at lower refresh rates rather then lowering pixel Response Time.

3: You *should* be able to OC both seperatly, although only 1 could be used to draw graphics. I assume you would be OCing the 275GTX for PhysX purposes...

4: It comes down to cooling on the card. Some cards have better cooling designes then others. At full load, 90C for a GPU isn't too bad, but I wouldn't care to see them get much hotter...

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
I don't think I believe that rangers. I was under the impression that the "won't be goign for teh high end" rumor (even though it sounds like BS to me) just meant they would not be makign dx11 high end. They would still release a beast of a power card, it will simply be on an old dx API. At the worst I could see teh rumor meanign that the high end super card may be released a bit after the mainstream cards (gt200 die shrinks, or whatever the mainstream end up being).

rudinho

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2007
talking about DX 11. I remember 3Dfx Voodoo SLI that , BACK IN TIME, allowed to play Quake @ 1024x768 @ 60 fps

HAving a dual GPU setup had it'sreason to be bought, you could play fast at resolution not avaible to others. It was quite expensive but it was jutified, you had some exclusivity.

Today you can play everything @ 25x19, even if u get 2 fps, theres no extra feature with SLI. BUT with DX 11 this coud change a lot when we think about NV 3D Vision.

I saw a video test of this stuff, since GPU produce a second ghost image at the same time, then FPS is cut in half.
Since DX 11 is also a bette management of multi GPU, i can see NV use it to make SLI the solution for 3D Vision - each card focusing on one of the frames to make 3D effect.

On the other side GT 300 is supposed to be a monster like we have never seen before. Roumors say SP will be between 480 and 512.

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
As for separately overclocking.. No, you can not do that with SLI, at least not really. The cards will both run at the slowest speeds. You can overclock them one at a time, but they will have to both be overclocked or it won't make any difference at all. They will physcially be downclocked. (unless SLI changes)

This is different to how crossfire works.. but teh end result in both is that you get a setup that works as well as an equivalent setup of two of teh slowest cards.

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008

Well, not right away. I don'tthink it would hurt them much more than it did having no dx10.1. Granted, dx11 is a bigger deal but with all of their marketing power they oculd last 6 months without a high end dx11 part (so long as the dx10/10.1 part is faster than ati's dx11).

Regardless, I don't think they are that far behind. They migh thave to delay into the new year at worst, but I can't imagine they would crash and burn so baddly as to miss an entire generation.

Disagree. NVIDIA holds around 70% of the GPU market; if they say "We don't like DX11", there won't be a company around who would be stupid enough to use the API for any significant project. Besides, everything is still based of DX9, with an extra DX10 code path for newer cards and supported OS's. This will not change anytime soon.

It normally takes two years for a new software standard to be adopted, but that assumes compatability with the previous system. For DX10+, this is complicated by XP's lack of support beyond DX9. Even when other DX API's came out, they were supported by the previous OS, which encouraged development of the new API.

With the XP problem and glut of DX10 hardware on the market, I can't see DX11 being anything more then an add in layer for the next few years.

Every game will be:
1: DX9 based
a: DX10 features
a1: DX11 features
b: DX11 features
2: DX10 based
a: DX11 features
3: DX11 based

Right now, stormfront aside (which bombed due to poor sales, BTW), every game falls into categories 1 and 1a1 on my list. That won't change any time soon, with maybe a few 1a2's haning around...

terminus

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
atm, my GTX 275 can run all games fine and max (except Crysis since I only have 8xqq and 1680x1050), but I predict that if I start going into the 3D realm, then my FPS is going to drop like a rock, that's why I'm thinking about getting the GTX 300s.