Asus Commando and New Intel Processors

toddwick

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
hey guys,

I have an Asus Commando Mobo and E6600 Core 2 duo processor, not OC as of now. I'm looking to upgrade my system to a much better processor, but I'm worried that my selection of LGA775 quad-cores just isn't good enough. I've been out of the enthusiast game for a while so i wanted to ask directly if all of you think I should just scrap and sell my mobo/cpu for a new set. I'm willing to spend 250-350 on a new cpu so I'm looking at mid to high mid range but worried there isn't anything cutting edge enough for the chipset.

also, the Commando doesn't support DDR3...but I paid $300 for it back in the day and really don't want to get rid of my investment.

thanks guys.

Helloworld_98

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
wow that mobo is old, yeah, you'll be wanting a new mobo, CPU and ram, but for $350 you'd be looking at an AMD setup.

so ~$180 for a 945 95w, $90 for a 785G mobo and $75 for 4GB of 1600MHz DDR3 memory. so $345 for a 3GHz quad core, a mobo with a newly released chipset and 4GB of DDR3.

edit: the CPU support page for your mobo finally loaded up and it looks like with a BIOS update you can use a Q9550 which is about $200.

toddwick

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
thanks for the quick reply!

I saw the Q9550 compatibility but do you think that I'll see enough performance increase to warrant buying it if I'll see a much larger increase from buying new ram,mobo, and cpu?. If its worth it I'll just drop the cash to buy a mid range mobo and a new intel chip. I wouldn't mind dropping $200 - $250 on a new mobo if I knew it would make a good difference.

always looking for that bang for the buck right haha.

wathman

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
If multi tasking is most important to you, then yeah, you'd probably be happiest with a core i7 setup. If gaming is your primary concern, you can actually get a little more life out of your current setup if you go with an E8600 Wolfdale clocked at 3.33 Ghz. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115054

While games are getting better about utilizing multiple cores, don't forget about the clock speed. I'm pretty sure benchmarks using this CPU will show better numbers than anything else short of some Extreme quad cores, or the i7s. DDR3 isn't worth migrating to core i7 on its own, but it comes down to how much you're looking to spend during this upgrade. If you don't mind putting down $700 for new core components, you can get a great setup.

toddwick

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
Thanks for the insight,

I think I'll do better with getting what you just suggested. Investing an zelman or something thats good these days and overclocking it. My biggest concern at the moment is reorganizing the insides of my tower and getting things a little cooler.

I'm really only looking for a decent gaming machine and something to multitask with, which is all I use it for at the moment. I'm looking to get back into gaming a little more intensely.

Any suggestions for vidcards on the commando that I could move to a new system once I make the jump to the new intel CPUs/DDR3? I'm using an 8800 GT OC at the moment.