Need help finding compatible raid controller/cables for case with 8087

hobodrobo

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
Hello, I have a question regarding a 4U Norco server case that I have purchased for setting up a RAID.

Internally the case has 5 8087 connectors built into boards that interface with the drives. For more details on the case/interface look up the Norco rpc-4220 case.

I have a set of 5 SATA drives in the bays in the front of the case, but need a RAID controller card and cables to connect to the 8087 interface.

From what I can tell, most raid cards seem to have a 8484 interface, or something similar. Do cables exist to convert from 8484 to 8087? Do I need to buy a card that has 8087 connectors on it?

I'm trying to do a budget build on this machine, and most raid controller cards that have a single 8087 connector are already $500 and up.

I have found plenty of cards for under $200, but many do not list the connector style that they use, and I want to make sure I buy something that will work.

I've setup raid arrays in the distant past, but a lot has changed with sas/sata interfaces in the last 5-10 years, and it seems to me that every manufacturer has their own connector which just adds to the confusion.

Thanks for the help
RJ.

hobodrobo

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
Also, I suppose it may matter with some of the cheaper (under $100) RAID cards available, but I doubt it would effect anything above that price point, but any card chosen must be compatible with Linux, choose a flavor so long is it is a recent kernel.

hobodrobo

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
I'll also add that speed isn't really a concern here. This system is being built for backing up a few office systems; replacing an old server. The important thing is redundancy and ease of maintainability. In fact, I may just set up a growing raid 5 array with mdadm to make things easy.

hobodrobo

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
Also, similar question about these interfaces... I know sas can still support 255 devices, and that expanders exist, so does this mean that I can install card with a single 8087 connector and then buy some kind of expander and more cables to interface the rest of my drives?

hobodrobo

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
For now, I have ordered a 8087/8088 port expander and a 8087 controller card along with a handful of 8087 cables. I'm still interested in an answer to the original question asked here, so please contribute if you can.