Will an OC ati 6970 be good for BF3

CPTseabass

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
Hey people, wondering about my ati 6970 and if it will be good for BF3 and more games that come out this year?? Just wondering.
system specs
I7 2630qm
ati 6970 hd
4 g ram
1920x1080p
500-7200 HD
sager np8150 gaming laptop

Thanks for the help. =)

AMD X6850

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2011
Because its a laptop, I'm guessing it's a Mobility Radeon 6970?
It's lower than the proper Radeon 6950 that is recommended for Max Settings BF3 but it is enough to play the game with high settings.

CPTseabass

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
Ok cool. Thanks guys for the response. I am pulling down FPS in between 80-100 right now on BFBC2. I dont need it maxed i just want to make sure that on high I am not going to be bottlenecking from my CPU or GPU? In answer to your question....yes it is a mobility. I am looking at upgrading my CPU to the i7 2760qm intead of the i7 2630qm, what do you think for diffrence in FPS? some little or none? Just wondering. I think alpha was in low or meduim settings but I watched clips of people playing on a ati 5770 and it looked good. am i mistaken in that? Like i said I am def. noob. =(

CPTseabass

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
Thanks bro great link. That settles it I am going to up grade. Why not. Like the one guy said. The i7 2760 is right in line with the 2820. which is pretty beast!! So this will be a good up grade, as the other guy says why not, more power= more fun. =) I like it. I will post what kind of diffrence it makes once I get the unti back from SAGER! She is being worked on as we speak. =)

Cygnus x-1

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
I'm guessing you'll be fine with that card.Your not going to have 16xAA with ultra settings with good fps. But a good combo of high/ultra settings with maybe 4xAA. We'll know for sure pretty soon. I believe the closed beta starts tomorrow and the opened beta two days following that. After we should be getting all kinds of feedback on the game, as there's no NDA in the open beta

CPTseabass

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
John you think there wont be any difference? ok i am all for people with different opinion. I guess the main reason i am looking at doing it, is yes of coarse have better gaming now but also make sure that anything comeing out in the next year doesnt have really any trouble being played. I dont know if it will or not. I know its impossible to future proof anything, but not having to change parts as soon would be nicer! =)

johnners2981

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
No I think you should upgrade as long as you have the spare cash. It will be a 20% or so improvement so it will make your laptop more future proof.
But when it comes to fps the graphics card plays a far bigger role, so the new cpu won't make a huge difference in fps seeing as you already had a good cpu.

CPTseabass

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
Right, ok that makes sense bro. thanks for the input. I am also thinking of putting the ati 6990 in her, I might as well just do both and make it beast for a couple more years. I bet I would have sweet improvment with those 2 upgrades.

cbrunnem

Distinguished
your gpu is fine and you will not see an improvement with the 2760qm. i see two problems with that upgrade. 1 is that after doing that you will have no warranty and 2 i wouldnt think that it would be worth the possibility of hurting you laptop since you seem a little new to all the computer parts world.

i ask you this. open your favorite games and turn all the settings to low and see if the fps go up any. if they do then your cpu is just fine for your gpu. but i am afraid that you will find that your fps will go up therefor a new cpu will not gain you any more fps. try that test and report back. the 2630 is a strong cpu.

CPTseabass

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
Hey man. Yes the FPS do jump way up. BFBC2 ultra 45-58 FPS. High 70- 90 FPS Low 100-130 FPS. But its not so much for a jump in FPS now, more for the future ya know. IDK.
The other thing is the upgrade will not mess with my warrenty as Sager is the ones doing the upgrade. It in now way affects that, and its a 3 year w. =)
What do you guys think of a GPU and CPU upgrade. I7 2760qm and ati 6990m. Is there a big diffrence in the 6990 compared to the 6970 Overclocked or no? Thanks again for all responses. =)

cbrunnem

Distinguished
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Computer-Games-on-Laptop-Graphic-Cards.13849.0.html
dude i wasnt expecting your fps to triple. thats a prime example of a gpu bottleneck. high details put stress on the gpu and low details put stress on the cpu. in no way would a cpu upgrade help you out a noticable amount and if you want to future proof yourself upgrade the gpu but there really isnt much better out there except for crossfire setups.

CPTseabass

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
Oh that means GPU is bottle necked?? Oh i thought I was getting good gaming frame rates. that sucks, well i am going to get the ati 6990m Overclocked along with the i7 2760qm. I should be good for a while with that set up, like a couple years at least! =) with the 6990 stock and no over clocking i will be pulling down 60-80 FPS all day. and thats not even OC. Bet in ultra i would get 100 or better with Overclocked. =) That sucks to think that the 6970 is already bottle necking. Its pretty new card? why?

cbrunnem

Distinguished

i think that you should do i little research before you jump the gun. it isnt saying much that a graphics card is bottlenecking if the cpu is a sandy bridge cpu. they are phenomenally fast but any laptop gpu WILL bottleneck a sandy bridge i7 until you get into crossfire and sli gpus and thats a maybe. your gpu is awesome. its one of the best you can get and you will see less then 10 fps more with a 6990 then a 6970 its not worth it and the cpu will not help but if you have the money why not. i think it would be better to hold on the the money and wait till the next gen gpus come out as that would be a much better path to take.