4 gb vs 8gb of ram

zhihao50

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
8Gb, generally more the better. Even if 8Gb+ adds little FPS it still improves system stability. Depends on how you use your computer. I tends to be sloopy and leave lots of tab open on firefox so it drains memory, and prefers the ability to run a game when I feel like without the need to close anything to make room in RAM.

Cygnus x-1

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
It depends what game and resolution you play at. That said, with the prices DDR3 are at right now, it would be silly to buy less than 8gb. Are you looking to upgrade or buy new?

To answer your question, 4gb will most likely handle games fine, but 8gb would be better. I don't see more ram adding to FPS unless your becoming close to maxing out your resources. If you're running BF3 and you have 1.5gb free ram, adding 4gb will do nothing for performance. If you're running BF3 and you have 200mb system ram left, you will probably lag quite a bit as dips and spikes happen with system resources while running games and other apps.

monkeysweat

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
4GB is good enough to run a PC, but if it is in your budget (it should be as 8GB can be found for 35$$),,, there isn't really much reason to justify only having 4GB on a new build, go bigger and future proof yourself.

monkeysweat

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
lower CAS is faster, but not really enough to make much of a difference,, I run CAS 9 sniper ram,, can lower the latency a bit on some modules, I just run mine with stock latency and upped the frequency to 1720 instead of stock 1600