Sign in with
Your question

Changing Heat Sink / Fan on a CPU

Last response: in Systems
August 6, 2009 2:49:35 AM

I've never had to change an HSF before, I'm curious as to whether doing so causes any problems. For example, does the thermal paste cause the HSF to stick to the CPU, or should it the HSF assembly just lift off without any problems?

Thanks
August 6, 2009 3:00:46 AM

Some TMI materials (especially the stock ones in notebook computers, I've noticed) make the CPU stick to the heatsink after a long period of use (years!). I've never had it happen in a desktop computer, though.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 6, 2009 3:07:28 AM

AARRGGHHH said:
I've never had to change an HSF before, I'm curious as to whether doing so causes any problems. For example, does the thermal paste cause the HSF to stick to the CPU, or should it the HSF assembly just lift off without any problems?

Thanks

The cooler often sticks to the CPU. Many coolers come with thermoplastic material that softens when warm, so the best method is to remove the cooler right after shutting the PC off.

To break it loose, it's often necessary to twist the cooler slightly after removing its retention clip.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
August 6, 2009 3:17:35 PM

What Crashman said - do it warm, and twist gently to break the cooler loose from the CPU. Only the is is safe to lift the cooler off.
m
l
!