Sign in with
Your question

Cold boot

Last response: in Motherboards
January 29, 2010 1:25:49 AM

The first boot in the morning or after a gap of 4-5 hrs always leads to a automatic shutdown about 5 mins after it loads windows. If I unplug the mains and boot it again it boots up fine.
On the other hand if I enter Bios and let it sit there for about 5 min and then enter Windows it boots fine.
Any ideas?

Tried the following without much success:
1.Replaced PSU twice. After I replace the PSU it works fine for about 15 days and then the same problem returns.
2.Upgraded to latest BIOS (GA 945GCM S2L F8b)
3. Disabled "Legacy USB" in bios
4. Booting in safe mode causes same problems.
5. Reseated all connections from and to the motherboard. No OC on Mobo. RAM voltage at 1.8V (DDR2 667). No CD/DVD drive or additional graphics card.

Thanks

More about : cold boot

January 29, 2010 2:26:33 AM

Is this a new build? What is the model of CPU, DRAM, and motherboard?

Try running Memtest86+ at the first boot after it has sat for a few hours. http://www.memtest.org

January 29, 2010 2:58:37 AM

aced said:
Is this a new build? What is the model of CPU, DRAM, and motherboard?

Try running Memtest86+ at the first boot after it has sat for a few hours. http://www.memtest.org

2 yrs old,
P4 3000Mhz, 2MB L2, 800 Mhz FSB
Transcend 2GB and
Gigabyte (no surprise here!)

Will try memtest.

Thanks.
Related resources
February 2, 2010 4:42:18 AM

Tried a new RAM. Same problem. I guess I will just live with the problem. It's not too much trouble to enter BIOS and let the system "warm up".

Awaiting the day when it does not boot up at all!
February 2, 2010 3:34:53 PM

User voj solved a similar problem by replacing the DRAM. Don't know if he changed brands or type though, because I still suspect a compatibility issue.
February 15, 2010 3:12:31 AM

I replaced the Transcend RAM with Kingston RAM. No luck.
For the past 2 weeks, I enter BIOS every time I boot the computer in the morning. After staying in the BIOS for 5 min I log in to Windows and the computer runs fine all day.
February 15, 2010 2:30:40 PM

Um, battery? My own 5-year-old p4 did the same thing, and didn't even lose any BIOS settings, but replacing the battery worked. Swapping RAM worked for me too, but that was a 1156/DDR3 system, totally different ballgame.
!