Cool down Q6600 with stock cooler?

So guys I have a core 2 quad Q6600 running at 2.4ghz. I was planning on overclocking it but i'm not able to because it get too hot with the stock intel heatsink/fan to overclock it. How can I cool the cpu down without buying a different heatsink/fan? Thanks in advance.
7 answers Last reply
More about cool q6600 stock cooler
  1. You cant cool it down and overclock it, those two are mutually exclusive. You can undervolt it a bit which will let it run cooler, however once you undervolt it you may not be able to get it to OC stably at that voltage, or if you do your temperature will probably be back up to the same levels. If you really want to OC you really should buy an aftermarket heatsink, they arent all that much.
  2. Well all I'd really like to know is how I can cool it down. I'm not going to overclock it with the stock fan.
    Read through that article, i dropped the voltage on my PII 955 a bit and it lowered the temps a few degrees.
  4. how much did you want to overclock q6600 by? I have my q6600 overclocked to 2.9 ghz on stock cooling and cpu temps don't rise by that much. Thinking of bumping it up to 3.0 ghz. I am more concerned about the motherboard overheating than the cpu.
  5. set CPU fan to 100% in BIOS? same with any case fans.
  6. currently in process of testing my q6600 @ 3.0 ghz on stock cooling and voltages. Done 10 hours of prime95 so far, all good with temps not too high. I'll round off with prime95 + continuous runs of 3dmark06 for about an hour, after I had a nap.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Overclocking Heatsinks