Sign in with
Your question

Zooka's WC Build: 800D, 2600K, SLI GTX580 (Build Log)

Last response: in Overclocking
September 26, 2011 12:52:21 AM

Hey guys,

First WC build here. I'm overwhelmed for certain but in a good way, I think. I'm putting together the following rig and planning a single loop for the CPU and 2xGPU's with some moderate CPU overclocking.

(updated)
Case: Corsair 800D
CPU: Intel i7 2600K
Mobo: ASrock Z68 Extreme 7
GPU's: 2x EVGA GTX580 Hydro Copper
Mem: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
PSU: Corsair AX1200
SDD: Crucial M4 256GB
HDD: 1TB WC Caviar Black

WC Single Loop
Rad 1: XSPC RX360
Rad 2: XSPC RX240
Rad Fans: 5x1800RPM Gentle Typhoons
Pump: Koolance PMP-450
Resovoir: Koolance RP-452X2
CPU Block: HEATKILLER® CPU Rev3.0 for Socket 1155/1156
Tubing: Danger Den UV Black Primoflex Tubing
Fittings: Standard 1/2 Inch Barbs
Fan Controler: Lamptron FC5V2

I've been reading FAQ's and build logs all weekend and my brain is fried, but before heading to bed I thought I'd get this thread started so that I can hopefully get my WC components planned and purchased within the week.

I suppose my first question is this, if I'm cooling the CPU and both GPU's with a moderate CPU overclock can I get away with a 3x120 and a 1x120 1x140 or will I need more head room? I've seen an 800D case mod that would allow me add a 2x120 rad internally along with 3x120, but that would require some cutting and riveting. Of course there's always the option of hanging a rad on the rear of the case but hey, isn't the 800D big enough already? lol
September 26, 2011 2:48:57 PM

What about mounting a 140 Rad in the bottom where the 140 original fan is? You just have to go sure the tube holes are keeping unobstructed but normally it should fit. And so you don't have to bother with modding and eventually risk the stability of your case unless you need to go on a 240.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 330 K Overclocking
September 26, 2011 2:51:53 PM

Adding a 140 over the 120 like Whunys suggested is a better option if you can swing it, but I would suggest thick rads over thin if you have to go this route.
m
l
Related resources
September 26, 2011 3:08:54 PM

Whunys said:
What about mounting a 140 Rad in the bottom where the 140 original fan is? You just have to go sure the tube holes are keeping unobstructed but normally it should fit. And so you don't have to bother with modding and eventually risk the stability of your case unless you need to go on a 240.

That's a definite possibility and one that would make for the easiest solution (I meant to say 1x140 instead of 1x120 in the original post), I just wasn’t sure if a 360 and a 140 would be sufficient for a 583 TDP build that I plan to OC.

I know there are a lot of other factors involved here but I figured that if I’m already pushing any limits it might behoove me to get a larger 2nd internal rad if I can make it work. Kinda out of my element here though so I may be missing a bigger picture. :??: 
m
l
September 26, 2011 3:27:31 PM

rubix_1011 said:
Adding a 140 over the 120 like Whunys suggested is a better option if you can swing it, but I would suggest thick rads over thin if you have to go this route.

Thanks rubix. A thicker 140 should fit just fine. A thick 360 will probably work but I may need to wait until my case arrives to take some measurements. I'll also see if I can find any 800D builds that have used something thicker like the Black Ice GTX360 perhaps?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 330 K Overclocking
September 26, 2011 3:30:33 PM

SkinneeLabs for an XSPC RX360 with 10C delta-T: about 575watts using 1800rpm fans.

Adding another 140 would help give you a little more head room...but I'd strongly suggest good fans (1800-2000 rpm)

Or yes, BIX GTX360 would work, but RX360 is ~$10 cheaper..I'd even suggest the TC PA over the BIX.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
September 26, 2011 3:53:24 PM

What is WC? Is this some kind of code for gamers or something?

I really see no reason to overclock the cpu at all, it'll run with 2 gTX580's at stock speeds just fine.

I also see no reason for 16gb of ram either, games won't even use 6gb.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 330 K Overclocking
September 26, 2011 3:54:42 PM

..............................................................?
m
l
September 26, 2011 8:27:23 PM

geekapproved said:
I really see no reason to overclock the cpu at all, it'll run with 2 gTX580's at stock speeds just fine.

I also see no reason for 16gb of ram either, games won't even use 6gb.

My approach to gadgets and gizmos rarely comes down to "need." As a hobbiest of many fields (master of none) much of it boils down to plain old fun and challenge for me. Overclocking and water cooling fall into this category, as does microscopy, photography, armature film-making, photo/video editing, and more.

As for the 16GB of RAM, yes it probably is overkill for the majority of what I dabble in but I do mess around with quite a few CS5 products including Premiere Pro and After Effects and might see some benefits from 16GB on that front. Not too worries about it either way but I appreciate the feedback none-the-less.

Rubix,

Thanks for that info. Being able to keep all my rads internal sans modification is looking more promising. I was able to find several 800D builds using large 360's in the top section, including one with the TC PA 120.3 in that position. Interestingly, I was just checking out Thermochill's website and it looks like the PA is being phased out the TA series which happens to be shipping as early as tomorrow, the 27th.

Time for a workout (super sets, woot), but afterwards I'm going to attempt to put together and share a first draft WC build so I have a place to start. Thanks VERY much for the help thus far.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 330 K Overclocking
September 26, 2011 8:44:54 PM

No problem, I think your best bet is to go with one of those thicker rads if you are going to pull this off with the temps you want. I knew the new TC's were coming out at some point...but wasn't 100% if they were completely phasing out the PA's...I thought they would go a rename and redesign...maybe not.

You can go with a thick 140 as well, you should be set: http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=59_457_458&products_id=28868 or something similar. You really want as much surface area as you can get in the size rad you have to work with...that will ultimately be the difference in your build...that, and some decent fans.

m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 330 K Overclocking
September 27, 2011 1:38:28 PM

Yeah....I've seen that thread before. That might give you some incentive and ideas...I definitely think it's worth it, but for each person, that differs somewhat.

Nice work on the homework...you can get all sorts of ideas by poking around on the web. Overclockers and XtremeSystems have some really great ideas and advanced concepts...it's where I always go for new ideas on stuff I don't know about. I'd be over there a lot more, but I don't have the time and energy to keep up with what they have. It's something I spend a few hours doing when I have extra time, which usually doesn't happen too often. Plus, I really like helping people out at Tom's...there are a lot of people that find us here via Google or just from reading articles, but didn't always have a real solid water cooling group. Several of us got together and pushed to get a dedicated forum to manage...and here we are. :) 
m
l
September 27, 2011 3:23:48 PM

rubix_1011 said:
Several of us got together and pushed to get a dedicated forum to manage...and here we are. :) 

And no doubt that effort has been appreciated by many, myself included. Tom's has always been my go-to for new builds and questions that I can't otherwise find straight answers for. In my experience as long as you're willing to put in the effort to learn and keep an open mind there will always people at Tom's ready to lend a hand. Good stuff.

So apparently it was my turn to cook last night which I was glad to do when my gal arrived at home with some King Salmon! Delicious, but it didn't leave me with an opportunity to get a parts list together so instead I opted to do a little more research on rads and rad placement. I'm going to try to put that parts list together tonight after a run instead.

My case arrives tomorrow and most of my non-WC parts arrive the day after that. Having the case in my hands should go a long way towards helping me come to some conclusions about rad size and reservoir placement.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 330 K Overclocking
September 27, 2011 3:30:28 PM

The one thing I've found on Tom's vs other forum sites is the ability for people to help integrate users that have little-to-no knowledge on subject matter in many cases. There are a large number of forums hosted here, whereas on other sties, there are only dedicated forums for cooling/watercooling or overclocking...maybe both if you are lucky. Here, we are able to field a lot of entry level questions and get people started and if we need to, reference some of these other forums for some examples or confirmation of data being presented.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
September 27, 2011 5:10:01 PM

Has anyone figured out what WC is yet??

I fail to understand the usage of random abbreviations unless speaking with psychic mindreaders.
m
l
September 27, 2011 5:24:37 PM

geekapproved said:
Has anyone figured out what WC is yet??.

Heh, sorry, just assumed you were joking before. I figured the "New WC build" topic with abbreviation would be obvious in the Water Cooling section of the forums.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 330 K Overclocking
September 27, 2011 6:00:45 PM

Yes, I thought this was sarcasm...

Watercooling is often referred to as WC in those forums...I assumed that since you were posting in the water cooling forum, you were already aware of this acronym.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
September 28, 2011 5:48:26 PM

Sorry I don't go into the watercooling forums. This thread was on the front page of Tom's Hardware.
m
l
September 28, 2011 6:04:18 PM

Here's an initial but incomplete parts list and I'm open to change on all counts. For example, I'm not completely sold on the QXPC res bay. Being able to pair it with a pump and stow it away in two drive bays seems convenient and I don't mind the minor modifications I would need to make to the case (per the accounts of other 800D owners), but having a separate and more accessible res and pump seems to have benefits as well.

WC Single Loop
Rad 1: XSPC RX360
Rad 2: XSPC RX240
Rad Fans: TBD
Pump: Koolance PMP-450
Resovoir: Koolance RP-452X2
CPU Block: HEATKILLER® CPU Rev3.0 for Socket 1155/1156
Tubing: Danger Den UV Black Primoflex Tubing
Fittings: 1/2 Inch Barbs
Fan Controler: TBD

I'll fill in the TBD's and add links when I get home this evening. I hear my employer calling me :) 
m
l
September 28, 2011 8:24:53 PM

Good news, the bulk of my parts arrived!

Unboxed the 800D and everything appears to be in order at first glance. Tossed the AX1200 in for a quick shot.

Be back after a quick workout to see if I can shore up that WC parts list, and I should probably clear this stuff off the kitchen table before my wife gets home.
m
l
September 29, 2011 11:40:09 PM

Minor update...

I edited the lists above to reflect where I'm headed with WC component purchases, but I still have a couple of items to settle upon.

I also went ahead and took out the bottom drive bay on the 800D by (mostly) following the directions in this guide. http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81698

I had all the required tools on-hand so it was a pretty painless process. A 1/8 drill bit was able to get me through the front rivets. I was able to get through the rear rivets by first using a sharp flat head screwdriver and hammer to completely shore off the inner side of the rivet, and then I used a rotary tool with a very small grinding head to clear out the bit left in the center of the rivet until the drive cages could be pulled out.

I also found out that you have to remove the other drive cage cover in order to re-rivet the front of the case to the center shelf, but that was just a matter of four screws. A rivet gun made short work of the rest.

Next step is to measure and cut the bottom of the case to accommodate an XSPC RX240, but I have don't have a reference on hand so I'll have to wait until the radiator actually arrives.

Leftover parts...

As others have noted when doing this mod, the shelf separating the PSU chamber from the mobo chamber does indeed sag a bit when you remove the bottom drive cage. It's a small sag, but enough to prevent the internal fan cover and SATA connection cover from fitting properly. No worries though as that will be a very simple fix that I'll tend to once the radiator and PSU are installed.

m
l
September 30, 2011 3:19:07 AM

looks pretty good!
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
September 30, 2011 1:29:12 PM

Looking good! Don't you just love when the UPS guy has to drop off 10 packages full of hardware? :) 

The next build I do is either going to be in an 800D or a MountainMods case (most likely a UFO with spacing for at least 3 3x120 rads). Depends on how much I decide to spend on peripherals vs. components and cooling - 6 monitors can be tempting when you spend a lot of time at the computer :D 
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 330 K Overclocking
September 30, 2011 1:34:25 PM

Mmmmmm....MountainMods...so pretty.

There are some others as well, but I've even seen some that are more expensive and don't look as good.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 330 K Overclocking
September 30, 2011 2:53:45 PM

Digging the 2x RX360's in there.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
September 30, 2011 2:55:14 PM

Yeah - 2x360s could at least allow for quieter fans :) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 330 K Overclocking
September 30, 2011 2:59:13 PM

One thing I see as being a major issue is the length of the PSU vs. the one you linked to...that AX1200 looks a little longer than the TX950 in the other build...maybe its an optical illusion...not sure. Either way, that RX360 is squeezed in there pretty good.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
September 30, 2011 4:41:32 PM

The AX1200 is longer - 7.3" vs. 5.51" That second rad would be a tough fit, but a 240 would easily fit.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 330 K Overclocking
September 30, 2011 5:11:02 PM

Seriously? Almost 2"? Day-um.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
September 30, 2011 5:47:47 PM

As far as I can tell, yes.

Newegg specs:
AX1200 - 5.9" x 3.4" x 7.3"
TX950 - 5.9" x 5.51" x 3.34"
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 330 K Overclocking
September 30, 2011 6:08:57 PM

Seeing all these recent builds is making me want to start work on my bench project I've been putting off. I ripped apart an old P2 Gateway box (when they actually made PC's out of real metal) and kept the steel back to use as the top. Anyways...not hijacking.

I'm really curious to see how this build comes together...and I think I'm going to round up as many Tom's build logs and add them to the sticky for user reference...or another thread...WAIT!! I think I can sticky topics...I'll do THAT!
m
l
September 30, 2011 9:46:00 PM

boiler1990 said:
Looking good! Don't you just love when the UPS guy has to drop off 10 packages full of hardware? :) 

lol, yes, my wife said I look like an 8 year old ripping open birthday presents when I'm unpacking hardware.

boiler1990 said:
I just saw this on a FS thread that I check, and thought this could be doable in the 800D (he has a 700D).

The first thing I did after removing the lower drive cage was measure for a 360 and yes, sadly the AX1200 won't allow for that. There is room for a 120x4 up top with some moderate cutting, drilling and relocating the front control panel... but nah.

rubix_1011 said:
I'm really curious to see how this build comes together...and I think I'm going to round up as many Tom's build logs and add them to the sticky for user reference...or another thread...WAIT!! I think I can sticky topics...I'll do THAT!

Excellent idea. Build logs are so helpful. I mean sure I can learn from my own mistakes, but I'd rather learn from someone else's :D 

I think I have everything I need for this build on order with the exception of a fan controller... forgot about that when I placed orders for fans and incidentals today. I ended up going with a bunch of 1800 RPM Gentle Typhoons for my rad fans. Depending on the temps I get I may end up putting the top rad in a push/pull config, but I'll be starting with a push assuming that setup won't interfere with my memory. It's a thick rad after all.

I'm planning to use the following setup I found in the 800D build log I linked to above. (not my pic)

m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 330 K Overclocking
October 1, 2011 3:05:51 AM

You don't necessarily need a fan controller...but they are nice if you like dropping fan speeds down lower when you don't want all the extra noise.
m
l
October 1, 2011 1:58:22 PM

Update: My radiators and CPU block arrived this morning, woot! That gives me the weekend to drill cut and prep a spot for the 240 in the PSU compartment.

Here's a photo of the RX240 in its intended spot. As you can see, not quite enough room for a 360 and the AX1200.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 330 K Overclocking
October 1, 2011 2:54:33 PM

Yeah...no kidding. But, that RX240 should do well down there...That PSU is massive, by looking at the comparison between it and the 240.
m
l
October 1, 2011 4:39:56 PM

I used a 240 rad template to take some measurements.

Ready for drillin' and cuttin'!

The rad grill I plan to use on the underside isn't here yet so I'll have to drill several more holes when that arrives, but no biggy.
m
l
a c 103 à CPUs
a c 190 K Overclocking
October 1, 2011 6:45:10 PM

Leftover parts...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/551260/leftovers.jpg

Keep those parts if you haven't already binned them, I see brackets for future modding projects right there :) 
*Edited to capitalise an 'I'**
Moto
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 1, 2011 7:16:40 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
Leftover parts...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/551260/leftovers.jpg

Keep those parts if you haven't already binned them, I see brackets for future modding projects right there :) 
*Edited to capitalise an 'I'**
Moto

Always save extra parts (unless they're broken/junk/etc) - otherwise you end up like me, buying two drive bay covers to make up for the ones I lost *facepalm*
m
l
October 1, 2011 7:50:19 PM

Update: Cutting complete, piece of cake! Love my Proxxon :)  I lined the outside and inside of the case with trash bags to allow for easy cleanup. Metal dust abounds!

My cutting angles may look a little wonky in the pic on the right hand side but that's just because the tape isn't running perfectly parallel. Now I just need to do a little sanding before putting the RX240 in there for a test fitting. Because this part of the project went so well I may end up doing a few more cuts to maximize airflow through the bottom of the case for the 240, but we shall see.

m
l
a c 103 à CPUs
a c 190 K Overclocking
October 1, 2011 9:11:25 PM

Pretty cutwork man :) 
Moto
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 1, 2011 9:25:45 PM

Proxxons are awesome - I'm glad I replaced my dads Dremel with one. Cuts and drills in a fraction of the time!
m
l
October 2, 2011 12:46:19 AM

boiler1990 said:
Proxxons are awesome - I'm glad I replaced my dads Dremel with one. Cuts and drills in a fraction of the time!

Indeed, I'm glad I did my research before jumping the gun with a Dremel (not that it's a bad tool), but I'm very glad Dremel attachments work with my Proxxon because you can find them pretty much anywhere.

Update: I finished sanding the cutout and the screw holes and attached the RX240 to see if I royally screwed up my measurements in some way. Happy to say I did not! The most I will need to do is expand one of the screw holes ever so slightly.

Now I'm just waiting on the rest of my parts to arrive. *taps foot* Btw, I ended up going with the Lamptron FC5-V2 fan controller because it accommodates 30v per channel and it'll be nice to control each rad with it's own knob.
m
l
October 2, 2011 1:23:52 AM

While I'm impatiently waiting for more parts to arrive does anyone have any suggestions on displays for a triple monitor setup? I probably won't be buying them right away but that's the plan for early 2012, hence the 3072MB Hydro Copper 2's. Before buying monitors I'm pretty certain the wife is going to have me replacing all of our window blinds and painting the kitchen cabinets. Good times :/ 
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 330 K Overclocking
October 2, 2011 2:59:38 AM

I've heard lots of people happy with Proxxon- anyone suggest good US retailers to find them? I've always used Dremel...but expensive and I like alternatives.

Guess it's time to Google and Ebay...
m
l
October 2, 2011 3:09:35 AM

rubix_1011 said:
I've heard lots of people happy with Proxxon- anyone suggest good US retailers to find them? I've always used Dremel...but expensive and I like alternatives.

I couldn't find one at any local retailers as Dremel seems to have the market pretty much cornered. I swear they're like "Kleenex" in that regard. Pretty sure I just went to Amazon to find mine. Either way, I love it. I've used it for dry wall, wood work, sculpting projects and most recently slicing up my 800D of course. The one thing I could use is a better case for the tool and all the attachments I've picked up along the way.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 330 K Overclocking
October 2, 2011 3:47:28 AM

Awesome...I'll have to check out Amazon, then. :) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 2, 2011 4:03:11 AM

manzooka said:
While I'm impatiently waiting for more parts to arrive does anyone have any suggestions on displays for a triple monitor setup? I probably won't be buying them right away but that's the plan for early 2012, hence the 3072MB Hydro Copper 2's. Before buying monitors I'm pretty certain the wife is going to have me replacing all of our window blinds and painting the kitchen cabinets. Good times :/ 

Hey, you scratch her back, and she doesn't bother you, right? My girlfriend gets mad when I devote more time to my computer than her, but sometimes it needs it :) 

I've found Dell's E and P-series displays to be really nice - I currently have a P2411H and 3xE2011Hs scattered between my desktop, laptop, and my gf's desktop/laptop. The colors are vibrant thanks to the LED backlighting, but the screen still has a matte display. I turn my brightness settings all the way down (hurts my eyes), but it still looks great.

Just to differentiate the two, the E and P monitors use the same displays (I believe - they look the same), but the P series has a fully adjustable stand (height, tilt, and rotation to portrait) whereas the E's only have tilt stands. They're VESA 100 compatible though, so almost all mounts will work.

I've also used Asus's VG236H (the 23.6" 3D monitor), and it's sharp. The colors were fantastic - the only issue it had was there was some minor bleeding on the top and bottom edges when the monitor was blacked out. It was also a bit heavy thanks to heatsinks since it got hot (due to the 3D), but I'd imagine that the display looks the same on their other monitors without all the weight.

Quote:

Yeah, I purchased mine on Amazon, and I use the cheap Dremel attachments. The keyless chuck is great and it's pretty tight - http://www.amazon.com/Proxxon-38472-Precision-Rotary-To...
m
l
October 2, 2011 6:39:04 AM

with those dell monitors you have to be careful and make sure you get one with a decent response time. 5ms is good but 2ms is great. anything slower than 5ms will not be a good gaming monitor
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 2, 2011 1:52:28 PM

mjmjpfaff said:
with those dell monitors you have to be careful and make sure you get one with a decent response time. 5ms is good but 2ms is great. anything slower than 5ms will not be a good gaming monitor

Which is why I wouldn't recommend the U-series (Ultrasharps) - the IPS displays don't look as good when gaming from what I hear, but that's not what they were intended to do. The P and E series monitors have 5ms response times.
m
l
!