Zooka's WC Build: 800D, 2600K, SLI GTX580 (Build Log)

manzooka

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
Hey guys,

First WC build here. I'm overwhelmed for certain but in a good way, I think. I'm putting together the following rig and planning a single loop for the CPU and 2xGPU's with some moderate CPU overclocking.

(updated)
Case: Corsair 800D
CPU: Intel i7 2600K
Mobo: ASrock Z68 Extreme 7
GPU's: 2x EVGA GTX580 Hydro Copper
Mem: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
PSU: Corsair AX1200
SDD: Crucial M4 256GB
HDD: 1TB WC Caviar Black

WC Single Loop
Rad 1: XSPC RX360
Rad 2: XSPC RX240
Rad Fans: 5x1800RPM Gentle Typhoons
Pump: Koolance PMP-450
Resovoir: Koolance RP-452X2
CPU Block: HEATKILLER® CPU Rev3.0 for Socket 1155/1156
Tubing: Danger Den UV Black Primoflex Tubing
Fittings: Standard 1/2 Inch Barbs
Fan Controler: Lamptron FC5V2

I've been reading FAQ's and build logs all weekend and my brain is fried, but before heading to bed I thought I'd get this thread started so that I can hopefully get my WC components planned and purchased within the week.

I suppose my first question is this, if I'm cooling the CPU and both GPU's with a moderate CPU overclock can I get away with a 3x120 and a [strike]1x120[/strike] 1x140 or will I need more head room? I've seen an 800D case mod that would allow me add a 2x120 rad internally along with 3x120, but that would require some cutting and riveting. Of course there's always the option of hanging a rad on the rear of the case but hey, isn't the 800D big enough already? lol

Whunys

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
What about mounting a 140 Rad in the bottom where the 140 original fan is? You just have to go sure the tube holes are keeping unobstructed but normally it should fit. And so you don't have to bother with modding and eventually risk the stability of your case unless you need to go on a 240.

manzooka

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011

That's a definite possibility and one that would make for the easiest solution (I meant to say 1x140 instead of 1x120 in the original post), I just wasn’t sure if a 360 and a 140 would be sufficient for a 583 TDP build that I plan to OC.

I know there are a lot of other factors involved here but I figured that if I’m already pushing any limits it might behoove me to get a larger 2nd internal rad if I can make it work. Kinda out of my element here though so I may be missing a bigger picture. :??:

manzooka

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011

Thanks rubix. A thicker 140 should fit just fine. A thick 360 will probably work but I may need to wait until my case arrives to take some measurements. I'll also see if I can find any 800D builds that have used something thicker like the Black Ice GTX360 perhaps?

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
thm_RX360-v2_10cDelta_Chart.png

SkinneeLabs for an XSPC RX360 with 10C delta-T: about 575watts using 1800rpm fans.

Adding another 140 would help give you a little more head room...but I'd strongly suggest good fans (1800-2000 rpm)

Or yes, BIX GTX360 would work, but RX360 is ~$10 cheaper..I'd even suggest the TC PA over the BIX.

manzooka

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011

My approach to gadgets and gizmos rarely comes down to "need." As a hobbiest of many fields (master of none) much of it boils down to plain old fun and challenge for me. Overclocking and water cooling fall into this category, as does microscopy, photography, armature film-making, photo/video editing, and more.

As for the 16GB of RAM, yes it probably is overkill for the majority of what I dabble in but I do mess around with quite a few CS5 products including Premiere Pro and After Effects and might see some benefits from 16GB on that front. Not too worries about it either way but I appreciate the feedback none-the-less.

Rubix,

Thanks for that info. Being able to keep all my rads internal sans modification is looking more promising. I was able to find several 800D builds using large 360's in the top section, including one with the TC PA 120.3 in that position. Interestingly, I was just checking out Thermochill's website and it looks like the PA is being phased out the TA series which happens to be shipping as early as tomorrow, the 27th.

Time for a workout (super sets, woot), but afterwards I'm going to attempt to put together and share a first draft WC build so I have a place to start. Thanks VERY much for the help thus far.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
No problem, I think your best bet is to go with one of those thicker rads if you are going to pull this off with the temps you want. I knew the new TC's were coming out at some point...but wasn't 100% if they were completely phasing out the PA's...I thought they would go a rename and redesign...maybe not.

You can go with a thick 140 as well, you should be set: http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...oduct_info&cPath=59_457_458&products_id=28868 or something similar. You really want as much surface area as you can get in the size rad you have to work with...that will ultimately be the difference in your build...that, and some decent fans.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Yeah....I've seen that thread before. That might give you some incentive and ideas...I definitely think it's worth it, but for each person, that differs somewhat.

Nice work on the homework...you can get all sorts of ideas by poking around on the web. Overclockers and XtremeSystems have some really great ideas and advanced concepts...it's where I always go for new ideas on stuff I don't know about. I'd be over there a lot more, but I don't have the time and energy to keep up with what they have. It's something I spend a few hours doing when I have extra time, which usually doesn't happen too often. Plus, I really like helping people out at Tom's...there are a lot of people that find us here via Google or just from reading articles, but didn't always have a real solid water cooling group. Several of us got together and pushed to get a dedicated forum to manage...and here we are. :)

manzooka

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011

And no doubt that effort has been appreciated by many, myself included. Tom's has always been my go-to for new builds and questions that I can't otherwise find straight answers for. In my experience as long as you're willing to put in the effort to learn and keep an open mind there will always people at Tom's ready to lend a hand. Good stuff.

So apparently it was my turn to cook last night which I was glad to do when my gal arrived at home with some King Salmon! Delicious, but it didn't leave me with an opportunity to get a parts list together so instead I opted to do a little more research on rads and rad placement. I'm going to try to put that parts list together tonight after a run instead.

My case arrives tomorrow and most of my non-WC parts arrive the day after that. Having the case in my hands should go a long way towards helping me come to some conclusions about rad size and reservoir placement.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
The one thing I've found on Tom's vs other forum sites is the ability for people to help integrate users that have little-to-no knowledge on subject matter in many cases. There are a large number of forums hosted here, whereas on other sties, there are only dedicated forums for cooling/watercooling or overclocking...maybe both if you are lucky. Here, we are able to field a lot of entry level questions and get people started and if we need to, reference some of these other forums for some examples or confirmation of data being presented.

manzooka

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011

Heh, sorry, just assumed you were joking before. I figured the "New WC build" topic with abbreviation would be obvious in the Water Cooling section of the forums.

manzooka

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
Here's an initial but incomplete parts list and I'm open to change on all counts. For example, I'm not completely sold on the QXPC res bay. Being able to pair it with a pump and stow it away in two drive bays seems convenient and I don't mind the minor modifications I would need to make to the case (per the accounts of other 800D owners), but having a separate and more accessible res and pump seems to have benefits as well.

WC Single Loop
Rad 1: XSPC RX360
Rad 2: XSPC RX240
Rad Fans: TBD
Pump: Koolance PMP-450
Resovoir: Koolance RP-452X2
CPU Block: HEATKILLER® CPU Rev3.0 for Socket 1155/1156
Tubing: Danger Den UV Black Primoflex Tubing
Fittings: 1/2 Inch Barbs
Fan Controler: TBD

I'll fill in the TBD's and add links when I get home this evening. I hear my employer calling me :)

manzooka

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
Good news, the bulk of my parts arrived!

parts1.jpg

Unboxed the 800D and everything appears to be in order at first glance. Tossed the AX1200 in for a quick shot.

case1.jpg

Be back after a quick workout to see if I can shore up that WC parts list, and I should probably clear this stuff off the kitchen table before my wife gets home.

manzooka

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
Minor update...

I edited the lists above to reflect where I'm headed with WC component purchases, but I still have a couple of items to settle upon.

I also went ahead and took out the bottom drive bay on the 800D by (mostly) following the directions in this guide. http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81698

I had all the required tools on-hand so it was a pretty painless process. A 1/8 drill bit was able to get me through the front rivets. I was able to get through the rear rivets by first using a sharp flat head screwdriver and hammer to completely shore off the inner side of the rivet, and then I used a rotary tool with a very small grinding head to clear out the bit left in the center of the rivet until the drive cages could be pulled out.

I also found out that you have to remove the other drive cage cover in order to re-rivet the front of the case to the center shelf, but that was just a matter of four screws. A rivet gun made short work of the rest.

Next step is to measure and cut the bottom of the case to accommodate an XSPC RX240, but I have don't have a reference on hand so I'll have to wait until the radiator actually arrives.

Leftover parts...

leftovers.jpg

As others have noted when doing this mod, the shelf separating the PSU chamber from the mobo chamber does indeed sag a bit when you remove the bottom drive cage. It's a small sag, but enough to prevent the internal fan cover and SATA connection cover from fitting properly. No worries though as that will be a very simple fix that I'll tend to once the radiator and PSU are installed.

leftovers2.jpg

Looking good! Don't you just love when the UPS guy has to drop off 10 packages full of hardware? :)

The next build I do is either going to be in an 800D or a MountainMods case (most likely a UFO with spacing for at least 3 3x120 rads). Depends on how much I decide to spend on peripherals vs. components and cooling - 6 monitors can be tempting when you spend a lot of time at the computer :D