How do i get my sata 2 port to work?

dalcowcraig

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
Whether its a hard drive or cd/dvd writer I cant get my sata 2 port to recognize either one of them.
What can I do to fix this problem?

Thanks,
dalcowcraig@yahoo.com

1) Are you connecting both a data cable and a power cable to the device? Sometimes, people have forgotten the power cable. Even experienced people.

2) What brand motherboard or prebuilt computer is it? Dells are well-known for requiring individual SATA ports to be enabled when you attach a drive and disabled when you don't. If you leave a port enabled with no drive on it, it won't boot!

3) Are the hard drive and disc burner known to work on other ports / other machines?

Edit: it is a good idea not to include contact information.

dalcowcraig

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
1) yes data cable is plugged in.

2) Its an Asus M2N68- AM SE2

3) I hooked up dvd to sata 1 doesn`t work, but the dvd drive worked before! I dont know why its recognizing it on sata 2. I have not ruled out dvd maybe bad but i dont think it is.

If'n it works on one of the SATA ports but not another, the most likely issues are
1) SATA port is bad
2) SATA port must be enabled in BIOS
3) SATA port is on a different controller chip that is not configured

The mobo is from Asus; they usually don't have that port enabling nonsense. It does have four SATA ports; have you tried them all?

Does the BIOS recognize the drive but not Windows, or does the BIOS not see it either? If it's one particular port, and nothing you plug into that port works, and the same devices work in port2, a dead (or inactivated) port seems likely.