Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Onboard Sound Vs. Card

Last response: in Motherboards
January 29, 2010 2:12:17 AM

I have the EVGA E760 CLASSIFIED Motherboard.

The board has decent integrated audio.
Laying around, I have a spare Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer card

I wonder, is it worth using the SB card?

More about : onboard sound card

a b V Motherboard
January 29, 2010 2:43:44 AM

Well, in most cases I would say not to go out and buy a card since onboard has improved so much. However, since you already have a (very nice) card laying around, why not? It can't hurt and should make your audio even better (although the improvement may be lost by the speakers).
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 29, 2010 3:44:16 AM

+1 use the card sound quality is no comparison between the onboard and an X-fi you would be crazy not to put that in. Dont forget to disable the onboard sound in bios before you install. ;) 
m
l
Related resources
January 29, 2010 5:15:33 AM

Things is that's not a real x-fi card. Even the real x-fi don't sound that much better (I have one laying around). However you might have driver issues with creativelabs products.

Not only that but the card is PCI not PCI-E so you might get latency/clipping issues if you have a good video card.

I vote for the onboard.
m
l
a c 92 V Motherboard
January 29, 2010 5:31:30 AM

Quote:
Not only that but the card is PCI not PCI-E so you might get latency/clipping issues if you have a good video card.

Curious about this bit as I have no idea how that would happen. I agree about the driver issues.
m
l

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
January 29, 2010 8:20:28 AM

man i have an X FI PCI card and it sounds 10 times better then realtek and FYI creative fixed the windows 7 issue a cple months ago MagicPants has no clue what he is talking about if your worried about latancy issues there is a program that you can use to adjust that but i never experienced any problems. USE THAT X-FI MAN YOU will be much happier with sound quality versus that crappy onboard sound especially if its realtek or via crap, ADI is the only half decent onboard and even that cant compare to an X-FI
a c 92 V Motherboard
January 29, 2010 8:32:38 AM

I doubt there is a program that will fix the "latency" issues that pants was talking about. I could see a program that will fix the problem you seem to be thinking of. I've heard of the issues that CL has had with vista, I'm assuming they exist with Win7. I haven't heard of it being properly fixed and welcome a link showing that they have been.
m
l
January 29, 2010 12:01:05 PM

Well I think I am experiencing that issue (stuttering) while playing COD MW2 on Win 7..don't know if it's the game or the card though (I also have an X-Fi Extreme Gamer)...haven't tried other games yet.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 29, 2010 12:03:46 PM

MagicPants said:
Things is that's not a real x-fi card.

Yes, yes it is :pfff: 
The X-Fi Xtreme Audio is the rebagged Audigy SE/Live! 24

While I would never recommend anyone to purchase a new Creative product, you already have it and should use it.
It will defiantly give you better sound quality than any onboard CODEC.
m
l
January 29, 2010 10:28:21 PM

Most of you confirmed my thoughts that I should go ahead and use it. I am running 64bit Win7, and reportedly creative fixed the driver problems, so I will give it a shot.
m
l
February 2, 2010 6:29:50 PM

As a followup, I have installed the card and the difference in sound is off the charts! I originally purchased the card to go into my old P4 that had the RealTec on-board chip-set.
With this board having such a robust on-board audio setup, I had assumed that the gain would have been too little to bother. I was wrong!
Also, I had read quite a bit about problems existing with Creative Labs and Win 7 64 bit with regard to drivers, etc. They have an update on their site, and everything installed perfectly with no problems.
Thanks everyone!
m
l
February 9, 2010 3:07:25 AM

Best answer selected by darkimage.
m
l
!