Why is my FPS so low

wf1bajo8j11

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
Hopefully someone can help... My fps has been sooo low lately and i cant figure out the cause.. i think my cpu might be bottlneckin my card.. but in CSS i would think i would at least maintain an average fps of at least 100... specs are 3gb ram, 2.6 dual core amd 5000+, geforce 8800gts 320mb... any solutions?

orangegator

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
LOL Is that a new record? Bumping his thread after only 6 minutes 32 seconds. If you want help you need to give your exact system specs, more detailed description of the problem and what you've tried to fix it, and most importantly BE PATIENT.

brett1042002

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
Hardware is sufficient. What exactly is low FPS.... got an exact number for us? What software is running at start-up or in the background? Have you checked for spy-ware lately? Check your process list in Task Manager... what does it look like?

wf1bajo8j11

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
Im Running close to nothing in the background.. i run about 40 fps to maybe 160 at tops.. my problem is when it peeks down low to 40 cause i like to play competively. i show about 35 processes using 2-10% cpu usage. spy ware shouldnt be a problem i just reformated about a month ago.

brett1042002

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
Are you running CS:S at the highest graphics settings? You may be running out of VRAM at a high resolution and cranking up all the bells and whistles on the graphics settings.

EDIT: Has it always ran like this? Did something change recently? Different hardware?

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Hmm...well just because you reformatted about a month ago doesn't change the probability of having spyware or malware at all...Tracking cookies, worms, viruses, trojans, spyware,adware.root-kits...they all severely slow down you system and cause major performance degrade. You need to right program to detect all of that and eliminate it. If I were you, I would download two softwares called "Malwarebytes Anti-Malware" and download "A-Squared". Download those two programs, install them, update them completley, then boot into safe mode, scan completley with both programs (1 at a time ofcourse), after thats done, stay in safe mode and give your drive a nice good defragmentation. I bet those programs will catch something bad in your system, they are just too good.
-Then when that is done download a program called "System Spec" google that and download it, its a simple .exe file. Open it and it gives extremely specific specs of your system. Give me exact specs of your operating system (company, version, service-pack...32-64-bits...etc EVERYTHING), and give me all the hardware specs you can find in it :)
-Plus dont be upset, your system isn't really that hot
-And bumping a thread in 7minutes LOL, usually it takes hours to days for responses so be patient with that.

aylafan

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
Actually, getting 40-140 FPS in CS:S is quite normal. It depends on what maps you are playing. For example, in de_dust2 I would have around 110-120FPS, but on a large custom map I would only get 35-40FPS. So, most likely your vram and your resolution is affecting your FPS.

Lowering your AA & AF could make some difference.

I'm gonna say that your computer is suffering from user error :D.

1) If you're FPS isn't going below 30fps I don't see why you're complaining. Do you visibly notice choppiness, or are you just upset that FRAPS isn't giving you higher numbers?

2) You're system is mid-range at best.

3) You're eyes can't tell the difference between 60fps and 200fps (most people barely notice the diff between 30fps and 60fps if at all.) so you'll still be able to frag the competition just fine. Don't blame your computer if your skills are slipping.

wf1bajo8j11

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
Well this is what system spec pulls up...

Windows: Windows Server 20035.2 (Build 3790) Service Pack 2
Internet Explorer: 6.0.3790.3959
Memory (RAM): 3072 MB
CPU Info: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+
CPU Speed: 2598.9 MHz
Sound card: Realtek HD Audio output
Display Adapters: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS | NetMeeting driver | RDPDD Chained DD
Screen Resolution: 1280 X 1024 - 32 bit
Network: Network Present
Network Adapters: Generic Marvell Yukon 88E8056 based Ethernet Controller - Packet Scheduler Miniport
CD / DVD Drives: D: HL-DT-STRW/DVD GCC-4480B
COM Ports: COM1
LPT Ports: LPT1
Mouse: 7 Button Wheel Mouse Present
Hard Disks: C: 465.8GB
Hard Disks - Free: C: 395.1GB
USB Controllers: 4 host controllers.
Firewire (1394): Not Detected
PCMCIA (Laptops): Not Installed
Manufacturer: American Megatrends Inc.
Product Make: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
AC Power Status: OnLine