RAM at 800 instead of 1066...

xenobreak

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
I have an A7GM-S mobo from Foxconn: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813186141

I realize it's only AM2+ so i have to update the BIOS to make my new Phenom II X4 955 work right... i tried updating the BIOS to the version that they said adds AM3 support but it didn't help. After i updated the BIOS i got a "CMOS checksum error" when i restarted but it didn't seem to effect anything as my computer started up ok. CPUZ and my Foxconn program both read as i have the BIOS that i updated too installed. Everything is detecting that i have a Phenom II X4 955 but it's only running at 800Mhz instead of 3.2Ghz. I read online somewhere that if i get that CMOS error that i need to reset the CMOS memory on my mobo, which i did, then tried installing the BIOS again. That time i got no CMOS error but it's still running at 800Mhz...

I also noticed my RAM is only going at 800 instead of the listed 1066 (which my mobo supports). I tried changing it to 1066 in the BIOS settings but i got a blue screen shortly after and it auto set back to 800. I assume i need to change the timings and voltages and such manually but i have no idea what to set them too... hopefully someone can help me?

This is the RAM i have: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231166

Maybe i just need to change my CPU to 3.2Ghz manually in the BIOS settings (just like the i assume i need to with the RAM)?

Any ideas?

NOTE: The Foxconn website is broken so it makes it very hard to find and download the things i need... half the time i get a corrupted file from them when i download something. Terrible terrible website... when/if i ever build a new PC i def wont be getting a Foxconn mobo lol >.<

xenobreak

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
I will add that I'm using Windows 7 64bit, cool and quiet is disabled, and I'm using a high performance profile.

The CPU i upgraded from was a Phenom X4 9600 2.3Ghz if that helps.

Pure_McNasty

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
As far as the Cpu, try turning off AMD Cool &Quiet in your bios, that should make your cpu go up to 3.2.

Cool &Quiet just makes your cpu clock down when it isn't being used much, so I recommend leaving it on, after you make sure that is why it is at 800 mhz.

I have that exact ram and it should work just fine at 1066, first make sure you have the ram in the correct spots on your mobo, you'll find this in the owner's manual of the mobo. Then try setting it to 1066 with only one stick in, and then retry with just the other stick.

xenobreak

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
I fixed the CPU problem by installing newer BIOS. The one i had that "added AM3 support" apparently did not add support at all.

I still haven't fixed the RAM issue though... i heard i need to do it manually in the BIOS but i have no idea what to do for voltages and stuff like that. As i said above i tried just setting it to 1066 without changing the voltages and i got a blue screen shortly after.

xenobreak

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
heres the options i have

Memory voltage: +50mV, +100mV, +150mV, and so on all the way to like 600.
HT/SB voltage: +30mV, +60mV, +90mV, and so on all the way to like 300.
NB voltage: same options as HT/SB.