AGP Driver for ATi 9800 Pro

uptheswa

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
Hi

I have just installed an old Radeon 9800 Pro AGP graphics card in an old system but now having problems. Screen repeatly freezes and sometimes have trouble booting. I did uninstall the old onboard graphics drivers before installing the card and installing the ATi drivers from the ATi website. I just woner should I be instaling an older version of the drivers / And where to get them ? Anyone running a 9800Pro AGP card in a system similar to this can you please help :)

ECS P4M800PRO v1 motherboard
Intel P4 3GHz cpu
520W switching power supply
512MB RAM
120GB harddrive

Thanks
John

Orion1024

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
Did you install the chipset AGP driver first? That would be from VIA's website. You can also try setting the AGP to 4X in the BIOS. You can try disabling fast writes.

uptheswa

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009

Hi

i had no idea that i would need to do this, thought that it should have been included, i did change in bios that it would graphics would now be agp not pci

anyway, also in the middle now of flashing the bios, seems there is an updated bios that included a fix for raeon 9600 so maybe this will help with my 9800

if that doesnt work i will try the via website for the agp driver, hope i know what to look for and how to install

thanks

uptheswa

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
hi

i have now flashed the bios, added latest chipset drivers and audio drivers, and omega ati graphics drivers

i have turned down agp to 4, and disabled fast writes

now i get a messed up loading screen ( cant read the board spec or intro message ) and windows opening screen ( again can hardly make out the windows icon ) due to pixels all over the place

then operating screens are OK

but when playing games ( cod4 ) the game will play for a few minutes and then the whole computer freezes

there must still be someting i am missing to do

is there an issue with via chipsets and ati graphics ?

please help :)