I think i broke my PSU...or even computer

computernewbie

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
Im writing this just as i noticed my computer wont turn on, here are the events that happenede EXACTLY

I turned off the computer to go get one of those big cable extension bar so i can get my computer, monitor, and lamp connected to it

I plugged in the cable extension bar, plugged in the monitor and the lamp, finnaly i plugged in the computer and it wouldent turn on....The extension was on before i plugged in the monitor or the lamp. Is it possible i fried my PSU, MB, or even CPU? When i mean turn on, nothing turns on, no fans turn, nothing.

Thanks

I just checked out, the bar can support 15A, computer 13A, and monitor is 4A, did i fry my computer?

TheViper

Distinguished
Does the power strip have a visual circuit gauge to show when the rated power has been exceeded?

Try plugging everything back into separate sockets or just your monitor in the power strip and see what works.

computernewbie

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
Nope, the extension block is a crappy one from radio shack, has no circuit gauge, but im pretty sure i did exceed it. I did plug everything back into seperate sockets, monitor works, and so does my lamp, but apperently my computer doesent...

I dont see how lack of energy can kill your system???

TheViper

Distinguished
Undervoltage can be just as bad as overvoltage.

However, your system may still be OK. Unplug the computer and disconnect all external components. Hold the power button for 1 minute to discharge any build up in the capacitors. Now try a reboot.

If that doesn't work, unplug and discharge again. Now remove the watch battery on the motherboard for 24 hours. This resets the CMOS. Try booting again the next day.

If that doesn't work, remove internal components and start testing 1 by 1 if a part did get fried.

computernewbie

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
Okay okay, explain SLOOOWLY, haha its my first computer which i built yesterday, so you can assume im a bit saddend by it dieing on me...Okay, my power cable which connects to the PSU is unplugged, by external components, you mean monitor and such? So i unplug everything thats connected to my computer, and hold down the power button? And reboot as in pressing the power button agian?

And what is a watch bettery and where can i find it

I have a Asus P6T Deluxe V2, do you know how the CMOS would look on it?

TheViper

Distinguished
Yep, unplug everything and hold down the power button for 1 minute to discharge the capacitors. Then plug it all back in and try to reboot.

That next step (if you 'll still need it then) is to remove the round, silver watch battery on your motherboard. Looks like this.
http://ramanathan.files.wordpress.com/2007/01/cmos_battery1.jpg

With everything powered off and unplugged again, remove that battery for 24 hours. After 24 hours, discharge the capacitors again and reinstall the battery. Plug it all up and reboot.

We'll go from there if that doesn't work.

computernewbie

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
Okay, ill try discharging the capacitors now, if that doesent work ill remove the battery (where should i keep it?), assumably a nice box i guess...There are more steps after that? If taking out the battery doesent work, i guess ill msg you

Thank you for your help, you've given me a spark of hope!