P7P55D-E Pro RAID 1 Confusion

uwave101

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
I just purchased a P7P55D-E Pro for a new work computer I am building, but I am getting very confused about the RAID capability. I have seen several other posts about the limitations of the RAID controller, but am not sure what to make of them.

I will have 2 80GB SSDs in a RAID 1 configuration for the OS because I cannot afford any downtime, should one fail. Reliability trumps speed!
I also will have two other HDDs (for data/backup, not raid) and 2 DVD drives. All 6 are SATA. I will be installing Win7.

The manual states that if any SATA drives are set for RAID, they all will be. I am assuming that what I want can be accomplished, but how? And are there any drawbacks to having all the drives be part of the RAID? Is there anything else I need to be aware of?

My last ASUS board was much easier to configure for RAID...but that was over 6 years ago!

uwave

horse99

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010

Did you go for this configuration and if so how did you do it?

uwave101

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010

I don't really remember exactly what I did, but I do remember it was no big deal, and everything just worked like I expected it to. The two SSDs were RAID'd together and the other HDDs just worked. I would not worry about it.

G

Indeed, I have a JBOD (single) drive and two in a RAID 1 array, no problems. I'm planning to ad external box with RAID 5 array of 5 2TB drives, that is gonna be cool (if it works)