Sanders_63

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
I have an HP Pavillion that does not have a wireless connection. I had installed a linksys E2500 and it worked well until something happened.
I then made the mistake of doing a full HP system restore, now it won't allow the setup for the linksys to run because of the missing decode pointer. I want something I can copy to a cd on this computer and then use the cd to load it on the HP to fix the problem.
Thanks in advance
Sanders

Is this your exact error message - the procedure entry poinjt decode pointer could not be located in the dynamic linkl library. Kernel32dll.

What Service pack of XP are you on ?

Look for Microsoft's RegClean 4.1 as it may be a registry error. (IMO)

Sanders_63

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012

That is the message I get. I don't know what service pak.
I will check the RegClean
Thanks
Any other suggestions appreciated

You are so far out of date - I have read that SP2 and SP3 corrected that particular issue. Not only that, but the OS SP1 is vulnerable to all types of problems that have been circumvented by keeping current.

Highly recommend you Start > All Programs > Windows Update and bring your system up to date. MS will scan your system and give you updates, critical and optional.

Sanders_63

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012

You are absolutely correct. The problem is once again I cannot install my Linksys AE2500 wireless USB adapter to get on the net. I do not have satalite or land line.
If could get a copy of service pak 2 into a file on this computer then copy it to a CD then I could load it on to the HP to upgrade the XP system.
Any suggestions would be helpful.

"This computer has internet, I assume, as you are communicating.

Forget about SP2 . You want SP3 . Sp3 will include fixes in SP2. Only pre-requisite for SP3 is that you at least have SP1 installed, which you do on the HP that you are trying to fix. That being correct, do a search on the WEB for XP SP3 download. Take the one from Microsoft. Then do as you said, download it to a flash drive or desktop and burn a cd and take it to the HP machine. (Downloading & burning to a CDRW may be too time consuming and get interrupted etc.

Sanders_63

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012

Thanks,
I was just concerned about down loading to this new laptop.

Sanders_63

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012

Thanks,
It has been updating HP,Windows and Explorer all morning.
Auto updates are set.
Thanks again :D

TRENDING THREADS