Sign in with
Your question

Need to cool Toshiba P305-S8822:ThermoPad or ThermoPaste?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Laptops
  • Toshiba
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
September 26, 2011 8:06:46 AM

Hi All,

I need to cool my GPU down, because its overheating. When I opened the laptop, I noticed there were factory installed thermopads. Example is shown below.

Should I use the current ThermoPads or buy some Paste/compound like Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound, or Noctua NT-H1 to help cool my laptop?

Thanks.

Indy

More about : cool toshiba p305 s8822 thermopad thermopaste

September 29, 2011 10:11:24 PM

Its all the same. They use pads in laptops but as a Dell tech I am also issued paste too. Those pads are the lowest quality of paste you can find though. I use Arctic Silver on my builds.
m
l
September 30, 2011 1:07:42 PM

slcmike said:
Its all the same. They use pads in laptops but as a Dell tech I am also issued paste too. Those pads are the lowest quality of paste you can find though. I use Arctic Silver on my builds.

Thanks for the reply!

If I use Arctic Silver or Noctua NT-H1, will they be able to make contact to the heat sink, since you have to put on a very thin layer of this type of paste?

Also, if I use Arctic Silver or Noctua NT-H1, can I still use these old pads to make sure I make contact to the heat sink, or is there something else I can use to make sure I make contact to the heat sink when using Arctic Silver or Noctua NT-H1?

Matt

m
l
September 30, 2011 2:21:41 PM

Clean both surfaces (cpu and heatsink) with an alcohol pad or isopropyl alcohol on a coffee filter (no lint), even if they have never had any paste on them! The paste WILL stick no matter how thin the layer. Use the dog poop method..."coil" and smudge of paste (2-3 small coils) in the middle of the cpu and it will even itself out when you install the heatsink. Dont use those pads just use your paste and coil it, it will spread correctly.
m
l
September 30, 2011 2:34:01 PM

slcmike said:
Clean both surfaces (cpu and heatsink) with an alcohol pad or isopropyl alcohol on a coffee filter (no lint), even if they have never had any paste on them! The paste WILL stick no matter how thin the layer. Use the dog poop method..."coil" and smudge of paste (2-3 small coils) in the middle of the cpu and it will even itself out when you install the heatsink. Dont use those pads just use your paste and coil it, it will spread correctly.

One last question. I just ordered the Arctic Silver cleaning kit.
I would like to apply the Arctic Silver to the CPU as well, but I noticed there is some silver tape that looks like foil near the vent of the CPU, and also there is strip of black duck tape like that connects the vent to the fan. Any idea where I can get this from, if I can't re-use it?

Thanks.
m
l
September 30, 2011 2:51:57 PM

That "tape" is a plastic that is added by the manufacture and if removed will not go back on, its not sticky like tape. You can buy foil tape at a builders store like home depot or perhaps a craft store. Comes in rolls like duct tape.
The black plastic that covers the radiator fins is designed to keep fluff and dust out of the fins and direct airflow. Use anything there...that isnt sticky! Do not use tape it will just attract dust and dirt and make a mess of the fins.
m
l
September 30, 2011 2:54:10 PM

...sorry, to answer the question correctly, you CAN reuse the black plastic if the sticky part is still sticky. If not use some basic stick glue (very little) and reapply it to the part that has to connect to the fan side ONLY!
m
l
!