Best LGA 1366 Compatible CPU Cooler?

kufan64

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
So I custom built my i7 PC a little while ago with help from Tom's Hardware, but now I'm interested in aftermarket coolers and overclocking this monster. I've done some poking around, and have come up with a few candidates. My full specs are at the bottom of this post and if necessary, I can provide measurements as well.

Please keep in mind that I am looking for something with good cooling and low noise, at a decent price.

Sunbeam Core-Contact Freezer
I assume that this also requires the optional bracket (+$10) for LGA1366 compatibility. It's highly recommended at FrostyTech, and is also the cheapest on my list after MIR.

Scythe MUGEN-2
I've heard good things about this one and it's natively compatible with LGA 1366.

XIGMATEK Dark Knight
Seems to be a very popular choice and is natively compatible with LGA1366. It's a little bit more expensive, but I'll pay extra for quality. I've heard some negative things about this one though.

[strike]ZALMAN CNPS9900LED[/strike]
[strike]It's the most expensive cooler (even though it's on sale at newegg) on my list, but I've heard great things about Zalman and this cooler looks like it's no exception. Again, this one appears to be natively compatible.[/strike]

COOLER MASTER V8
Added from a later suggestion. It looks very promising, though a little expensive. It comes with an LGA 1366 mounting bracket.

It's important that whichever I decide fits in my case without any problems, so I will probably buy from my local Microcenter if they stock it so I can return it easily in the event it doesn't fit. (or "work" as I'll probably tell them) Let me know what cooler you recommend, and why. (it obviously doesn't have to be one of these) Thanks in advance for any help.

Core i7 920
ASUS P6T Deluxe
Corsair XMS3 3x2GB DDR3 1333
Corsair 850TX
EVGA GTX 275
Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
WD Caviar Blue 500GB x1
WD Caviar Black 500GB x2 (RAID 0)
Antec P182 Case

jtmoney528

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2009
With having a mid tower case size becomes very important of the cooler. From what I have heard do not go Zalman! I orderd a DK because they come with a bracket and I have heard nothing but great things about them.

kufan64

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
Do you say don't go with Zalman because I have a mid-tower, or because you have heard bad things about them?

I heard the DK is very tall and therefore probably wouldn't fit into my mid-tower. Look at the reviews on newegg, sort by helpfulness, and the first 9 reviews are either 1 or 2 eggs, with one 5-egg exception. That's what scares me about the DK.

kufan64

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
The Prolimatech Megahalem is another one I've heard nothing but excellent things about, but the thing seems to be very rare and hard to find.

I've eliminated Zalman from my list of recommendations based on the fact that they don't work well with LGA1366.

Thanks for the input guys! Keep the great suggestions coming.

kufan64

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
I really want to go with a single fan option for noise reasons, and I doubt I will ever have the patience or the skill to overclock past the 3.6-3.8 mark, so some of the more expensive and advanced coolers would be wasted on me. (though this thing is too cool looking for words lol)

well the v10 would be best but the performance over the v8 doesn warrent the premium but i had a look round of all the coolers mentioned the v8 is 3rd cheapest but only by bout 10 bucks an the v8 performed much better but give me a sec im looking into a reasonable water kit

kufan64

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
The Noctua SE1366 is a bit out of my price range at over $70. I'm looking for options under ~$50.

Like I said, I probably won't be shooting for 4.0-4.2GHz on my upcoming overclock. Performance vs cost is important to me, as is something that runs fairly quietly. easy installation and adjustable speed switches would also be fantastic. I love being able to choose between 3 different speed settings for the case fans in my P182.

kufan64

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
Hooray you guys! (in the voice of Eric Cartman)

I just found out that Microcenter has started stocking Prolimatech Megahalems for $70.

I wanted something a little cheaper, but I've never heard anything negative about this particular cooler, and I'm willing to pay a premium for superior performance. I've done a bit of research, and as far as I can tell, nothing can rival this cooler with the possible exception of the TRUE, which isn't LGA 1366 compatible w/o an optional bracket.

Two more things:

1) Does anyone know if it will fit flawlessly into a P6T Deluxe motherboard and/or an Antec P182 case?
2) Does anyone have anything else to add about different coolers or the Megahalems in particular.

Thanks for all the help guys!

kufan64

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
Helloworld_98, you keep mentioning that cooler that I've never heard of before...
Is it one that you personally own?
Do you have any data that shows a side-by-side comparison of the two?

As far as the fans go, what should I look for when I stroll into Microcenter? I was going to just go with one fan (I can always add another later, plus then I'd also have to buy another fan clip) positioned on the RAM side of the CPU blowing air through the cooler to the back.

TRENDING THREADS