TS2: Effects of a new Hard Disk

Last response: in Video Games
July 7, 2005 11:07:19 AM

Although I did post about this before in another thread I only got 1 answer
so am trying again in a new thread. I currently have a 40GB IDE HDD either
5400 or 7200rpm which is running out of space and I will need to get a new
one within a year. I will probably get an 80GB SATA HDD, but before I do,
I would like to know how much of an effect it will have on the speed of my
PC and TS2 in particular. I'm not a major object downloader, but I probably
will be in a few years. Is there any one here that has upgraded from an IDE
to a SATA? How much did it speed up their PC? and will it be worth the £26
(I'm also selling my old HDD) I am buying it for?

Ps. I'm buying this with Nightlife in mind.

More about : ts2 effects hard disk

July 7, 2005 2:55:04 PM

On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 07:07:19 GMT, "Will Bradshaw"
<spam@beasolutions.com> wrote:

>Although I did post about this before in another thread I only got 1 answer
>so am trying again in a new thread. I currently have a 40GB IDE HDD either
>5400 or 7200rpm which is running out of space and I will need to get a new
>one within a year. I will probably get an 80GB SATA HDD, but before I do,
>I would like to know how much of an effect it will have on the speed of my
>PC and TS2 in particular. I'm not a major object downloader, but I probably

Well, I have upgraded to SATA but I can't say I've noticed any
difference in the speed of the game. It could be the VIA SATA
controller, it could be anything. The PC is certainly faster now, but
the game isn't.

>will be in a few years. Is there any one here that has upgraded from an IDE
>to a SATA? How much did it speed up their PC? and will it be worth the £26
>(I'm also selling my old HDD) I am buying it for?

I say the price seems OK, but only 80GB? I would have tried to save up
some mnore money and bought at least a 200GB drive.
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 2:55:58 PM

Strider wrote:
> I say the price seems OK, but only 80GB? I would have tried to save up
> some mnore money and bought at least a 200GB drive.

But I would never use it, so it's a waste of money, when I get the SATA
drive I will probably use about 40GB within a few months and then slowly use
the rest, taking a few years to use the extra 40GB by the time I would need
more than 80GB, I might as well buy a new PC as my one will be too old.
July 7, 2005 3:32:46 PM

Is the drive connected to the motherboard or a card? If you use a card
you can't get the full speed the SATA drive is capable of.

dperry15

Strider wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 07:07:19 GMT, "Will Bradshaw"
> <spam@beasolutions.com> wrote:
>
> >Although I did post about this before in another thread I only got 1 answer
> >so am trying again in a new thread. I currently have a 40GB IDE HDD either
> >5400 or 7200rpm which is running out of space and I will need to get a new
> >one within a year. I will probably get an 80GB SATA HDD, but before I do,
> >I would like to know how much of an effect it will have on the speed of my
> >PC and TS2 in particular. I'm not a major object downloader, but I probably
>
> Well, I have upgraded to SATA but I can't say I've noticed any
> difference in the speed of the game. It could be the VIA SATA
> controller, it could be anything. The PC is certainly faster now, but
> the game isn't.
>
> >will be in a few years. Is there any one here that has upgraded from an IDE
> >to a SATA? How much did it speed up their PC? and will it be worth the £26
> >(I'm also selling my old HDD) I am buying it for?
>
> I say the price seems OK, but only 80GB? I would have tried to save up
> some mnore money and bought at least a 200GB drive.
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 3:33:09 PM

Strider wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 07:07:19 GMT, "Will Bradshaw"
> <spam@beasolutions.com> wrote:
>
> >Although I did post about this before in another thread I only got 1 answer
> >so am trying again in a new thread. I currently have a 40GB IDE HDD either
> >5400 or 7200rpm which is running out of space and I will need to get a new
> >one within a year. I will probably get an 80GB SATA HDD, but before I do,
> >I would like to know how much of an effect it will have on the speed of my
> >PC and TS2 in particular. I'm not a major object downloader, but I probably
>
> Well, I have upgraded to SATA but I can't say I've noticed any
> difference in the speed of the game. It could be the VIA SATA
> controller, it could be anything. The PC is certainly faster now, but
> the game isn't.
>
> >will be in a few years. Is there any one here that has upgraded from an IDE
> >to a SATA? How much did it speed up their PC? and will it be worth the £26
> >(I'm also selling my old HDD) I am buying it for?
>
> I say the price seems OK, but only 80GB? I would have tried to save up
> some mnore money and bought at least a 200GB drive.
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 6:13:39 PM

Will Bradshaw wrote:
> Although I did post about this before in another thread I only got 1 answer
> so am trying again in a new thread. I currently have a 40GB IDE HDD either
> 5400 or 7200rpm which is running out of space and I will need to get a new
> one within a year. I will probably get an 80GB SATA HDD, but before I do,
> I would like to know how much of an effect it will have on the speed of my
> PC and TS2 in particular.

When I got SATA I upgraded my computer totally and it was just before
TS2 came out, so I cannot tell if there really is a difference, but one
thing that was worth buying it (160GB SATA was 10 euros more than 160GB
IDE) is the wire connecting the HDD to the motherboard, it used to be
very hard to do anything in my computer with all those wide cables, SATA
has a smaller cable and it's much easier to change or add hardware now.

Bianca
July 7, 2005 7:31:35 PM

"Strider" <xxxx@xxx.xx> wrote in message

> Well, I have upgraded to SATA but I can't say I've noticed any
> difference in the speed of the game. It could be the VIA SATA
> controller, it could be anything. The PC is certainly faster now, but
> the game isn't.

Have you had any problems defragging? We've always used Norton's Speed Disk
to defrag but it won't work on my hubby's pc. I'm starting to wonder if it's
because of his hard drive. He has a 160G SATA.

noname
July 7, 2005 9:47:26 PM

On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 15:31:35 GMT, "noname" <hip_ster@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>"Strider" <xxxx@xxx.xx> wrote in message
>>
>> Well, I have upgraded to SATA but I can't say I've noticed any
>> difference in the speed of the game. It could be the VIA SATA
>> controller, it could be anything. The PC is certainly faster now, but
>> the game isn't.
>

>Have you had any problems defragging? We've always used Norton's Speed Disk
>to defrag but it won't work on my hubby's pc. I'm starting to wonder if it's
>because of his hard drive. He has a 160G SATA.

No, no problems but I've only used the Windows XP defrag tool.
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 10:58:27 PM

dperry15@yahoo.com wrote:
> Is the drive connected to the motherboard or a card? If you use a
> card you can't get the full speed the SATA drive is capable of.

You can get SATA cards? No it's an on board SATA (not SATA II) connection.
July 8, 2005 1:11:16 AM

On 7 Jul 2005 11:32:46 -0700, "dperry15@yahoo.com"
<dperry15@gmail.com> wrote:

>Is the drive connected to the motherboard or a card? If you use a card
>you can't get the full speed the SATA drive is capable of.
>
>dperry15

It's connected to the onboard VIA SATA controller and there is really
nothing wrong with the speed, it's just that the Sims doesn't run any
faster from this drive than it did from the old IDE drive.
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 2:40:17 AM

"Will Bradshaw" <spam@beasolutions.com> wrote in message
> Although I did post about this before in another thread I only got 1
answer
> so am trying again in a new thread. I currently have a 40GB IDE HDD either
> 5400 or 7200rpm which is running out of space and I will need to get a new
> one within a year. I will probably get an 80GB SATA HDD, but before I
do,
> I would like to know how much of an effect it will have on the speed of my
> PC and TS2 in particular. I'm not a major object downloader, but I
probably
> will be in a few years. Is there any one here that has upgraded from an
IDE
> to a SATA? How much did it speed up their PC? and will it be worth the £26
> (I'm also selling my old HDD) I am buying it for?
>
> Ps. I'm buying this with Nightlife in mind.

The computer I bought about 6 months ago came with a SATA drive. But since I
didn't have Win XP, I couldn't actually use that drive, I used my old EIDE
drive in my new computer.

I then got Win XP a couple months ago and got the SATA drive working. Load
times for the Sims were actually much slower for me at first, because WinXP
uses much more memory for itself than Win 98.

Once I installed more Ram (bringing me up to a gig), load times went back to
about what they were with my old hard drive and win 98.

So, in my experience, any change in hard drive speed really isn't
noticeable, at least for the Sims. Memory seems to be the key.
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 5:42:04 AM

In stone pixels, Will Bradshaw carved:
> Strider wrote:
>> I say the price seems OK, but only 80GB? I would have tried to save
>> up some mnore money and bought at least a 200GB drive.
>
> But I would never use it, so it's a waste of money, when I get the
> SATA drive I will probably use about 40GB within a few months and
> then slowly use the rest, taking a few years to use the extra 40GB by
> the time I would need more than 80GB, I might as well buy a new PC as
> my one will be too old.

There is an okd saying in computerdom that has been true fo all the time
I've been using them (I got my first computer job in 1969).

Storage increases arithmetically - need for storage increases exponentially.
What this translates to is "the bigger, the better"
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 7:26:49 AM

On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 07:07:19 GMT, "Will Bradshaw"
<spam@beasolutions.com> wrote:

>Although I did post about this before in another thread I only got 1 answer
>so am trying again in a new thread. I currently have a 40GB IDE HDD either
>5400 or 7200rpm which is running out of space and I will need to get a new
>one within a year. I will probably get an 80GB SATA HDD, but before I do,
>I would like to know how much of an effect it will have on the speed of my
>PC and TS2 in particular. I'm not a major object downloader, but I probably
>will be in a few years. Is there any one here that has upgraded from an IDE
>to a SATA? How much did it speed up their PC? and will it be worth the £26
>(I'm also selling my old HDD) I am buying it for?

Harddrives are major bottlenecks nowaday, for sure... but SATA has no
real-world advantage over UDMA drives. The peak bandwidth is greater,
and that's basically it. So the realistic performance difference would
be maybe 1-2%. Don't buy a disk just because it's SATA. If you want a
really fast IDE drive, buy a Western Digital Raptor, tho be warned,
many say it makes a bit of noise. Other than that, look for the best
performing model with the most cache and of course 7200rpm.

Samsung Spinpoint are currently the best 7200rpm drives.
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 7:29:17 AM

On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 22:40:17 -0500, "Jeremy Reaban"
<jer@connectria.com> wrote:

>So, in my experience, any change in hard drive speed really isn't
>noticeable, at least for the Sims. Memory seems to be the key.

I mostly agree. But when you top out memory and CPU, the harddrive
becomes the bottleneck in loading times. I'm drooling at the new
raptor... 10,000rpms of low latency goodness on dual platters with
multiple read heads...
!