Sign in with
Your question
Solved

BSOD while gaming

Last response: in Overclocking
September 26, 2011 5:56:28 PM

Hi All,

First of let me start by saying I'm new here (first post) so if I miss anything please be sure to point it out.

I decided I would OC my i5-2500k yesterday, took my time and read up on Clunk.org.uk 's guide to OC'ing on the P67/Z68. Took me a few tries to get the VCORE right, but in the end I ended up with 1.16V @ 4.0GHZ.
I had prime95 running overnight (6hrs) with no problems, had temperatures around 57C. Then, I booted up League of Legends, was midway through my 3rd game, and it went bluescreen. I then upped the VCORE to 1.18V, and currently have prime95 running at home (at school now). When I look at other people who've OC their i5s, they only run @ 1.12-1.14V @ 4.0GHZ. Basically, if I come home and see that dreadful azure screen, what might be my problem? Also, why would my computer crash during LoL, w/ stable temps the entire time.
Not sure if it matters, timings for ram are set at 9-9-9-24, also switched it in BIOS to run @ 1600, rather than the default 1333

Specs:
i5-2500k
Corsair vengance 2x4GB DDR3-1600
ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe
ATI 6870
750w corsair psu (I read somewhere this may not be enough power, if it isn't, please let me know)
1TB HDD sata 6.0 7200rpm
Windows 7 64-bit

If you need anything else, let me know and I'll try to provide it

Cheers,
Elbow

More about : bsod gaming

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
September 27, 2011 1:53:24 PM

This could be a RAM issue, or have you OC'd your graphics card? I would try to downclock your RAM back to stock, and see what happens. If that doesn't do anything, read up on your intel forums for OC'ing that exact chip, and it may be a "poke and hope" type deal where you are going to have to fool around with it. Are you running stock HSF? This could be a major issue as well.
September 27, 2011 6:05:53 PM

No, I haven't gotten around to OC the graphics card (hopefully some day :D ) and the only thing I changed about the RAM was the timings and frequency (9-9-9-24 & 1600 respectively), not sure if that's what you mean by RAM OC. And I'm running with Coolermaster Hyper 212+ and I had relatively stable temps the whole way through. I'll check on the Intel forums and see if anybody else has had this issue, if not, do you think my PSU would've been an issue? I had my headset, speakers KB& mouse all plugged in as well, not sure how much power those draw.
m
l
Related resources
September 27, 2011 7:58:48 PM

Leave the RAM default set in your bios. Yes I know 1600 is cooler etc.. but try it.

Be very careful with that Voltage to your CPU. You can either feed it or cremate it.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
September 28, 2011 12:22:19 AM

Your ram is fine running at the rated 1600, as long as your timings and voltage is correct.

You should be more concerned with your "LOAD VCORE" then what you set it to compared with others. Use LLC if it's dropping too far or raise it in the BIOS.
m
l
October 5, 2011 5:48:28 PM

Best answer selected by ElbowFungus.
m
l
!