SSD Installation step by step...

carvy007

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2007
Hi,

I'm going to buy a SSD and a new CPU, motherboard and memory tomorrow. I know a lot in computers, but i never had an SSD. I need to know how to install, setup and maintain this new SDD in my "new" computer. I need the following information:

- How to install the SSD (connecting cables, setting up the BIOS accordingly, etc).

- How to install Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and configure it (optimal SSD settings, etc).

- How to maintain the performance of my SSD from now (don't understand TRIM and other "technical" things...).

There is a lot of info through the web, but i don't understand much of it. I don't know much about SSD installs and need some help before making a mistake. This is my first experience with a SSD.

In other words, i need an "ABC" to install a new SSD on a new computer.

Thank you!

Solution
Google is your friend.

Anyway, here ya go:

http://thessdreview.com/category/ssd-guides/optimization-guides/

Also, check out the menu bar at the top of the page. Position your mouse cursor on "ssd guides". A drop down menu will open with links to more useful info.

Google is your friend.

Anyway, here ya go:

http://thessdreview.com/category/ssd-guides/optimization-guides/

Also, check out the menu bar at the top of the page. Position your mouse cursor on "ssd guides". A drop down menu will open with links to more useful info.

Solution

aries1aa

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2011
Sata2 or sata3? Sata2 there are internal hot swap bays you can mount in an open 5.25 bay slot, if it's a sata3 I haven't found a hot swap bay for sata3 , guess they are too new yet. My case has 2 mounts for SSD's which is basically rubber grommets through holes to insulate them from the case and keeps it open to air flow on all sides. If your buying a sata3 make sure you get a sata 3 cable rated at 6g , your computer will recognize the SSD with a sata2 cable (just in case you can't find a sata3 cable) just won't be as fast. If your going to raid your SSD do it from the start wiping the data I hear isn't a very good option which will happen if you have any data on the SSD when setting up for raid. hope this helps some, still new to building comps myself, good luck !!

aries1aa - There is some incorrect information in your post.

There are no such things as SATA II (3 Gb/s) cables and and SATA II (6 Gb/s) cables. There is only one international standard and specification for the cable. If an online vendor is advertising a cable as SATA III it is just an advertising gimmick. On the other hand there might be differences in the quality of cables.

The physical dimensions of a ssd enclosure is also governed by an international standard and specifications. The two most common single ssd dimensions are usually described in an abbreviated form as 1.8 inch and 2.5 inch. Both can be either SATA, SATA II, or SATA III drives.