Topower or Antec?

Please list your pc components, especially the two video cards so we can make valid recommendations. Different video cards have different power requirements.

The general rule of thumb is a high quality 700 to 750 watt power supply with sufficient current on the 12 volt rail(s) can handle a system with two video cards operating in Crossfire mode. There are some exceptions like the new ATI energy efficient video cards which require a little less power.

Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, and Seasonic are some of the brands with a reputation for high quality psu's. They consistently earn high marks in technical reviews. They are stable, reliable, and come with a 5 year warranty. Lately we've been seeing a few high quality psu's from other companies.

0Lm91

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2008
The pc is a phenom II X3 720, 2 gb of ram of 1800 mhz, ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X (it would work on 8X if there is 2 cards working together).

I would like to use two hd 5850 if possible, so that is why i think that the antec would not be the best option, since it does not have enough power, while the topower does have.

Here are the official power requirements for the new ATI Radeon HD 5850 video cards.

ATI Radeon™ HD5850 System Requirements:

PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard

500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75 watt, 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended

600 Watt and four 75 watt, 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode

The power supply recommendations are for an entire pc system.

bgd73

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008
the topower is for eatx, go with antec.

you obviously do not need the dual cpu power connect. An I personally run a apfc antec now, it is my best ever...it actually has apfc, no gimmick, antec is good like that.

0Lm91

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2008
Judging the power requirements the only one that could be useful doing a crossfire would be the topower since it has 4 6-pin PCI Express power connectors. But, obviously, I do not want to buy a bad power supply, if I have to invest more money, I will do it.

Thanks for the replies.