New Vertex3 Max Iops SLOWER than Vertex2...Help!

ahthurungnone

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010
Okay, so I broke down and bought the latest 120GB Vertex3 Max IOPS to compliment my MSI 890FXA-GD70 mobo. I made sure my motherboard had the latest BIOS (1.9), bought a certified SataIII cable and hooked it up to the SATAIII 6Gps plug. It works, but it is actually slower than my other computer with a OCZ Vertex2 with SataII. WEI on the Vertex3 is 7.1, but WEI on the Vertex2 is 7.3.

I've already turned off Indexing on the drive, as I read in CPU that this slows SSDs down. I cannot recall what other changes have to be made to utilize TRIM or other drivers to make it run the way it should. Someone mentioned using ACHI, but I have no idea how to change that.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

groberts101

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
also best to utilize the latest AMD drivers as the old "stick with the Microsoft default drivers" is a thing of the past now.

Once you get into AHCI mode the drive will be able to fully leverage the better drivers and NCQ support.

ahthurungnone

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010
Yes, I already did the automatic fix in Windows to run in AHCI. However, I still get the "Insert Bootable Device" error upon startup. Before we go further, what exact setting am I supposed to change in the BIOS. There is only one area that has an AHCI option and that is under the RAID section.
Also, I downloaded the latest drivers directly from MSI's website. At current speeds I don't even think I am running at 6Gps.

tecmo34

Administrator
If your are still having boot issues, I would keep it as AHCI (Only area I see in your manual is under the RAID option, as you stated) and plug the SSD into SATA7, which is the JMircon SATA II controller and boot. Since it is a new controller, it should load the necessary drivers upon startup. Afterwards, switch back to SATA1 for your boot drive.

IF that doesn't work, switch back to IDE and boot back up let us know, so we can find another option for you (outside of a fresh install... if possible).

ahthurungnone

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010
Oh, and it is hooked into Sata7 which is the SataIII 6Gps port. I installed the JMircon drivers again, and restarted. I switched it to AHCI and still won't boot. Should I just start over? It's not a big deal. This computer installs windows in under 10 minutes.

ahthurungnone

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010

If you're online, explain exactly how to setup the BIOS so I'm definitely running AHCI please!

ahthurungnone

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010
Ok, I got it! Super Duper Fast! 7.9 on WEI and no hang ups.

Tecmo34, you are awesome. I believe you've helped me multiple times. So thank you so very much. Hopefully, others can learn from your experience.

P.S. Whatever you're paid, it's not enough :)