Your question

RAM Problems with Asus P5Q Deluxe

Last response: in Memory
January 29, 2010 5:15:50 PM

Current setup is as follows:

Asus P5Q-Deluxe
Intel Q9550
EVGA GTX 280

Originally when I built it I was running 4gb of Corsair Dominator PC6400.

I wanted to step up to 8gb and started running 2 of these 4gb kits: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

PC8500 5-5-5-15 2.1v

It ran great for awhile then started giving me random BSODS, usually related to Page Faults or Memory Errors. I manually switched the Voltage and Timings in the BIOS to the Specs and still have the issues.

Am I using the wrong type of Ram for this board?
a c 128 } Memory
a b Ĉ ASUS
January 29, 2010 5:37:21 PM

No. I would use the default timings; check for a memory mapping setting; try changing it to the opposite setting (either disabled or enabled).
m
l
a b } Memory
a b Ĉ ASUS
January 29, 2010 6:09:15 PM

Also, run memtest86+ on each stick, and then on all 4 together. I find it best to use the bootable ISO version, which will boot to memtest after POST. You should also know that these sticks have been having lost of problems in the last six months - see the corsair forum and newegg reviews. They run for a few weeks and then FAIL.
m
l
Related resources
January 29, 2010 6:16:26 PM

treefrog07 said:
Also, run memtest86+ on each stick, and then on all 4 together. I find it best to use the bootable ISO version, which will boot to memtest after POST. You should also know that these sticks have been having lost of problems in the last six months - see the corsair forum and newegg reviews. They run for a few weeks and then FAIL.

I saw that too. A little discomforting since I've always had such good luck with Corsair with my other builds. :pfff: 

Was even considering picking up a different brand to try out and shipping these on RMA if that did the trick.
m
l
a b } Memory
a b Ĉ ASUS
January 29, 2010 7:24:36 PM

Try memtest86+, if they fail, RMA them. If they pass, and fail in six months, exercise Corsair's lifetime guarantee - the replacements may be from a better batch. I got mine in NOV 2008, used them for couple of months, then put in G. Skill, but switched back in SEP 2009; they've been running 24/7 since.
m
l
February 4, 2010 6:35:32 AM

Been running memtest86 v4.0 for about 6 hours on 2 sticks, set at 1066, 5-5-5-12 and 2.1v. Windows was running fine for awhile then I started seeing the random BSODs again.

Screenshot of Memtest:

I have a Windows 7 disc that is sitting on my desk that has been waiting for install. My Vista 64 install started getting a little wonky not too long before the random BSODs, so i had been planning for a fresh 7 install anyways. Was just hoping I could peg down any memory issues first, if any.
m
l
February 4, 2010 1:09:53 PM

Did you ever get this figured out?

I have 8GB (2x GSkill F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK - Retail) in a Gigabyte UD3P-EP45 running
Windows 7 64 bit and am suffering from random BSODs as well... And yes, I've tried the
million - or so - recommended BIOS tweaks out there...

If you were able to get yours working I'd be more than happy to switch to the PQ5 Deluxe ;-)!
I don't even want to overclock, I just want it to work!

Frustrating to say the least!

Regards...
m
l
February 4, 2010 6:35:41 PM

iHunt said:
Did you ever get this figured out?

I have 8GB (2x GSkill F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK - Retail) in a Gigabyte UD3P-EP45 running
Windows 7 64 bit and am suffering from random BSODs as well... And yes, I've tried the
million - or so - recommended BIOS tweaks out there...

If you were able to get yours working I'd be more than happy to switch to the PQ5 Deluxe ;-)!
I don't even want to overclock, I just want it to work!

Frustrating to say the least!

Regards...

Not yet.

All my problems started when I installed a POS Belkin 4 USB Port PCI card. I'm going to try a fresh OS install with the 2 sticks that passed and see what i get.
m
l
a b } Memory
a b Ĉ ASUS
February 4, 2010 11:34:57 PM

SVT330: Based on your memtest results (nice screenshot), I think your RAM is fine, so now we have to figure out what IS causing the BSODs. Why don't you list your complete system specs - including all the cards you're using. A couple of years ago I ignorantly loaded the drivers for a USB card reader per the card reader mfr instructions. Got BSODs and many unsuccessful/partial boots into XP. Took me several days and a fresh install of XP to fix that.
m
l
February 4, 2010 11:46:09 PM

treefrog07 said:
SVT330: Based on your memtest results (nice screenshot), I think your RAM is fine, so now we have to figure out what IS causing the BSODs. Why don't you list your complete system specs - including all the cards you're using. A couple of years ago I ignorantly loaded the drivers for a USB card reader per the card reader mfr instructions. Got BSODs and many unsuccessful/partial boots into XP. Took me several days and a fresh install of XP to fix that.

Asus P5Q Deluxe
Intel Q9550
Thermaltake ToughPower 700w PSU
EVGA GTX 280
SoundBlaster X-FI Titanium
2x2gb Corsair CM2X2048-8500C5D

That's all that's in the box right now. As I mentioned, I attempted to install a Belkin USB PCI card with negative results. Shipped without driver disc and no mention of the product anywhere on their website. I removed it because of the USB ports working/not working.

Prior to this I built the system with 4gb of the Corsair, I later added 2 more sticks for a total of 8gb and installed Vista 64. Ran like a champ for months, I didn't touch the NB voltage.

m
l
a b } Memory
a b Ĉ ASUS
February 5, 2010 1:53:47 PM

If you're pretty sure the components are good, including the PSU, I think you should RMA for a replacement board. I looked at the newegg negative reviews, and found many complained of BSODs and one said the board is not compaitble with the Q9XXX CPUs.
m
l
February 6, 2010 11:21:27 PM

I installed Windows 7 64bit the other night and reinstalled all updated drivers. Was running pretty good so far, although I haven't had enough time to spend with it.

Left it running earlier this afternoon while playing music and returned to this BSOD:

Any ideas?
m
l
February 7, 2010 5:18:25 AM

I have the same Errors (ntfs.sys, 0x00000....1A, Memory Management). I also have 4GB (2GB in Dual) of CORSAIR installed, also with an Asus P5Q Turbo. I've run MemTest (the windows version), in my case though the errors kept coming in right after I started running MemTest, so I guess it's obvious where the problem lies.
First I thought it was some Graphic Card problem, as the problems started while watching a movie, but I didn't notice any graphic problems while drawing in Photoshop or any other graphical problems. The only problems I also get are explorer errors (like the transparent background and bars (I'm running Windows7) changes to non-transparent (just like in the Windows7 Starter Edition I have on my Netbook). I've also uninstalled Avira Anti-Virus to make sure that it wasn't some AntiVirus Programm blocking ntfs.sys or anything like that, didn't work though. I've also switched my RAM modules from Slots 1 and 3 to 2 and 4, still getting the same errors. I've also manually entered DRAM Frequency to 2.1V instead of [Auto], I noticed a HUGE performance up, but still getting the same errors and I've also run MemTest with those settings (again only the windows version), and still getting the same errors. Seems as if the Adresses from 8..... upward are broken, dunno why that happens though. My PC did freeze a few times in the past though, but didn't think much of it since it only happened while playing World of Warcraft (and WoW is buggy as hell -.-). When playing WoW now, I also get the same error (Memory Management). The only thing I haven't tried yet was to see which one of the RAM modules is the broken one, I guess I'll do that some time today.

Anyway, guess I'll have to buy new RAM -.-
m
l
February 7, 2010 5:22:51 AM

Ahh but what you can do is check your CPU, I think the name of the program was "Prime". If you get ANY errors there, you should consider your CPU being broken.
m
l
February 7, 2010 5:30:00 AM

(Sry for spamming -.-)

But I would suggest you do the following: buy a new pair of RAM sticks (anything but CORSAIR), and see if the same problem arises. I've googled ASUS P5Q and it seems as if CORSAIR RAM is not very compatible with our MBs. If you still get the same errors, then I'd guess your MB is broken.
m
l
February 16, 2010 1:17:19 PM

Update:

Reformatted HDD with OS, new Partition and Fresh Install. After days of testing individual RAM sticks, reinstalled the 4 and changed all the BIOS settings to the Corsair recommendations here: http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74470

Passed 16 hours of MemTest, started Prime95 last night but it looks like the system went into standby following the normal 'idle' timer. Odd. Will test further today.

Looking through the Asus Forums, a lot of people had similar problems. 'Cold' starts would give 0 Memtest Errors or BSODS. After some use, BSODS would occur and Memtest would throw errors.

Very odd.
m
l
a b } Memory
a b Ĉ ASUS
February 16, 2010 1:26:53 PM

SVT 330 said:
Update:

Reformatted HDD with OS, new Partition and Fresh Install. After days of testing individual RAM sticks, reinstalled the 4 and changed all the BIOS settings to the Corsair recommendations here: http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74470
Good

Passed 16 hours of MemTest, started Prime95 last night but it looks like the system went into standby following the normal 'idle' timer. Odd. Will test further today.
Good on the memtest. Change power management in windows to "never" shut-down or sleep when you're running Prime95.

Looking through the Asus Forums, a lot of people had similar problems. 'Cold' starts would give 0 Memtest Errors or BSODS. After some use, BSODS would occur and Memtest would throw errors.
I really believe there is a problem with this model board.

Very odd.

above in red
m
l
a b } Memory
a b Ĉ ASUS
February 16, 2010 1:30:33 PM

r4iki said:
I have the same Errors (ntfs.sys, 0x00000....1A, Memory Management). I also have 4GB (2GB in Dual) of CORSAIR installed, also with an Asus P5Q Turbo. I've run MemTest (the windows version), in my case though the errors kept coming in right after I started running MemTest, so I guess it's obvious where the problem lies.
First I thought it was some Graphic Card problem, as the problems started while watching a movie, but I didn't notice any graphic problems while drawing in Photoshop or any other graphical problems. The only problems I also get are explorer errors (like the transparent background and bars (I'm running Windows7) changes to non-transparent (just like in the Windows7 Starter Edition I have on my Netbook). I've also uninstalled Avira Anti-Virus to make sure that it wasn't some AntiVirus Programm blocking ntfs.sys or anything like that, didn't work though. I've also switched my RAM modules from Slots 1 and 3 to 2 and 4, still getting the same errors. I've also manually entered DRAM Frequency to 2.1V instead of [Auto], I noticed a HUGE performance up, but still getting the same errors and I've also run MemTest with those settings (again only the windows version), and still getting the same errors. Seems as if the Adresses from 8..... upward are broken, dunno why that happens though. My PC did freeze a few times in the past though, but didn't think much of it since it only happened while playing World of Warcraft (and WoW is buggy as hell -.-). When playing WoW now, I also get the same error (Memory Management). The only thing I haven't tried yet was to see which one of the RAM modules is the broken one, I guess I'll do that some time today.

Anyway, guess I'll have to buy new RAM -.-

You should really run memtest86+ from POST by burning the bootable CD image to a CD (and set your BIOS to first boot from CD) or a bootable USB stick. When you run memtest86+ in windows, you cannot test all the RAM because Windows is using a good part of it.
m
l
February 16, 2010 3:10:54 PM

treefrog07 said:
above in red

Sounds like the board can be a pain.

About to build another box for a friend with a i7 920 and P6x58D. Planning to swap a similar combo into my box as well.
m
l
February 16, 2010 10:10:14 PM

One thing that raises an eyebrow:

Currently running a Prime95 Blend Test. CPU-Z is showing my Core Voltage is about 1.136-1.144v. Win7 shows CPU at 100%.

Might this be a little low for the Q9550?
m
l
a b } Memory
a b Ĉ ASUS
February 17, 2010 1:34:00 AM

I'm running .98-1.25v on my Q9650 at stock (according to Everest) and 1.22-1.25v according to CPUIDHW Monitor; default is 1.225. You have a good CPU. If you want to bump up the volts a little, it won't hurt the chip, but if it's running Prime95 successfully, why do it?
m
l
February 25, 2010 2:18:59 PM

I've had the exact same problem with my P5Q that I bought last year. I can't go over 4GB of RAM. I've purchased new RAM multiple times, a better GPU fan, and a new PSU thinking that would solve the BSODs. I keep getting errors in memtest once I go over 4GB of RAM no matter what. My conclusion is that these boards are crap.
m
l
May 31, 2013 8:35:25 AM

parkergrove said:
I've had the exact same problem with my P5Q that I bought last year. I can't go over 4GB of RAM. I've purchased new RAM multiple times, a better GPU fan, and a new PSU thinking that would solve the BSODs. I keep getting errors in memtest once I go over 4GB of RAM no matter what. My conclusion is that these boards are crap.

I don't agree.

P5Q Deluxe is a great board, and I am currently using 8GB of DDR 2 memory with it with no problems whatsoever. Before I bought an extra 4GB kit to reach 8GB, my 4GB Gskill kit could overclock to 1200 MHz. I think that's really great for this board.

Memory used:
Kit 1: GSKILL F2-8800CL5-2GBPI (2 sticks of 2 GB)
Kit 2: GSKILL F2-8800CL5-2GBPI (2 sticks of 2 GB)

Kit No 2 is GSKILL TRIDENT EXTREME PERFORMANCE MEMORY made in Dec 2012. (I believe they still sell it)

Specs:
=====
Intel Core 2 Extreme QX 9650
ASUS P5Q Deluxe
Gigabyte Nividia GTX 580 SOC
GSKILL 8 GB memory
Silverstone Strider Gold 850W PSU
Thermaltake FRIO OCK

http://www.overclock.net/lists/display/view/id/4640824

Screenie here:
m
l