3K System

Suzaku

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2007
So I'm building my 3rd pc and here is the link

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=14738688

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: 14 AUG 09

BUDGET RANGE: US$3k

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming!!!!! surfing the web and movie(U.S. Blu-Ray)/anime watching

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor (it's Westinghouse L2410NM). Note monitor will be replaced a few months later...

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: (newegg.com)

PARTS PREFERENCES: Nividia and Intel

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe (never attempted)

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Yes / No / Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: (1920x1200)

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Needs to play Blue Ray (I normally get the blue ray version). I'm unsure as to get a blue ray burner as the disk are little expensive... Is the 2TB hard drive over kill, I tend to store large video files and leave games installed? Note I want the windows 7 upgrade coupon and DirectX 10. Also keep in mind I don't care much for sound quality...

get 2 EVGA 02G-P3-1186-AR GeForce GTX 285 Superclocked Edition 2GB wich will be almost as good as 2 295s for a board try the EVGA E760 CLASIFIED an 2 Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB in raid0 wil be a better option an that cpu cooler is a joke for an i7 get a cooler master v8 or v10

ditch the memory for some cheaper low latency DDR3-1333, probably same (maybe even better) performance the the DDR3-2000

for movie/anime watching you don't need a blu-ray burner, hell you probably don't even need blu-ray at all (anime looks fine in SD though better in 1080P)

get a Corsair 1000HX, it will be plenty (actually over kill, at hardware secrets it has the same internals as a thermaltake 1500w)

2 x GTX295 is too expensive, go for 3xHD4890, even with a 30" display (2560x1600 res) you would have enough graphics horsepower

and try to find some combo deals

btw, you should look into getting a 30" display for that build, you could probably knock off $1000 to get it (2xGTX295->3x4890 thats $600 right there, and quad graphics doesn't scale well at all)

don't listen to this, the V8 and especially the V10 are over priced, also 2GB on cards doesn't really help anything
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gv-n285oc-2gi-gtx-285,2380.html
this showed that

a Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer is one of the best coolers around check frostytech
http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm

although if you switch the HDD's to 2 x WD Black 1TB get a WD Black 640 for the OS, you don't want the OS on the raid, if something goes wrong you can't diagnose it with the OS installed, you would have to use a Linux live cd or something of that sort

also don't forget to backup your data with a raid-0, with a single failure you could lose everything on the raid

Suzaku

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2007

Sorry if I wasn't clear, I meant I would like to watch Movies (aka U.S. made movies) and Anime. I already have a Blu-Ray collection that I would like to play...

Is the 3xHD4890 good enough to play with AA and very high details?
Oh the ASUS PSU calculator recommended I get 1200 Watts would that 1k PSU be enough?