Is this fan setup (air flow) correct?

chaualain

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010
Just a quick question about air flow.

I just recently bought a new case (antec 300 illusion) and default setup is two front as intake and rear/top as exhaust but my cpu cooler fan only fits in the opposite directing of the air flow movement like this: http://i.imgur.com/oZUVi.jpg (the ram sticks are in the way if i try to switch the heatsink the other way. Would this setup be incorrect? or should i be using the rear as an intake as well?

What do you guys think?

[edit] I idle around 40-43C but it is pretty warm outside right now, could be cooler during nighttime.

Solution
Yes some HSFs cover the first RAM slot forcing you to place the DIMMs in the second set of slots. If you have four DIMMs this is a major problem. You don't want the CPU HSF blowing in the opposite direction to the other fans as it will kill case airflow. With these large HSFs you should use low profile RAM DIMMs as no heatsink is required for DDR3 RAM which runs pretty cool.

beenthere

Distinguished
Yes some HSFs cover the first RAM slot forcing you to place the DIMMs in the second set of slots. If you have four DIMMs this is a major problem. You don't want the CPU HSF blowing in the opposite direction to the other fans as it will kill case airflow. With these large HSFs you should use low profile RAM DIMMs as no heatsink is required for DDR3 RAM which runs pretty cool.

Solution