Sign in with
Your question

Cpu problem?

Tags:
Last response: in Systems
August 6, 2009 10:28:11 PM

I recently replaced my motherboard (identical replacement). At first it booted up perfectly. I rebooted a few times and then let it sit turned off overnight. The next day I did a couple more reboots, with no problem. I left it on and ran an errand, and when I returned there was nothing on my monitor. I turned it off and tried to reboot and got nothing but long beeps for the post and nothing else. All the fans are spinning, but nothing else is happening. Can you advise please?

More about : cpu problem

August 7, 2009 12:28:34 AM

Have you reset the CMOS?

If you don't know how, most motherboards have a reset button located near (usually) the CMOS battery. If there is no button, you can always unplug the computer from the wall, pop out the CMOS battery and let it sit for about 15 seconds.
Related resources
August 7, 2009 1:18:17 AM

I would try to post with just one stick of RAM installed. If the system posts, manually set the RAM speed/timings/voltage to the manufacturers specs. You could then try to boot with both sticks of RAM installed.
August 7, 2009 8:42:23 PM

Thanks, I did this with no change. I appreciate your trying to help.

Aoster87 said:
Have you reset the CMOS?

If you don't know how, most motherboards have a reset button located near (usually) the CMOS battery. If there is no button, you can always unplug the computer from the wall, pop out the CMOS battery and let it sit for about 15 seconds.

August 7, 2009 9:21:24 PM

+1 to shortstuff

Try booting with only the HD, CPU, video card, and 1 stick of RAM. If it doesn't work, rotate each stick through each slot. Everything else can be unplugged.
August 8, 2009 5:00:22 AM

Have you looked in the manual for your mobo and see what long beep codes represent (long continous beep usually means memory error. Steady long beeps may mean power supply. This differs with BIOs, however and they are not universal)?

Just saw Outlander's post. Use his link. +1
August 12, 2009 12:10:25 AM

Thanks - no luck - I'm still searching around though.

Aoster87 said:
Have you reset the CMOS?

August 12, 2009 12:10:58 AM

No luck - thank you.

shortstuff_mt said:
I would try to post with just one stick of RAM installed. If the system posts, manually set the RAM speed/timings/voltage to the manufacturers specs. You could then try to boot with both sticks of RAM installed.

August 12, 2009 12:13:23 AM

Thanks, but didn't work - still looking for solution.

aford10 said:
+1 to shortstuff

Try booting with only the HD, CPU, video card, and 1 stick of RAM. If it doesn't work, rotate each stick through each slot. Everything else can be unplugged.

August 12, 2009 12:32:31 AM

Did you ever check what that beep code means for your Motherboard?
August 12, 2009 11:15:10 PM

Yes, and I can't find the answer. I have Award Bios and either I'm not looking in the right place, or they simply aren't willing to share that information. The system is almost 8 years old, but still. If I had a POST

rdawise said:

August 12, 2009 11:16:35 PM

I'm sorry, I hit a wrong key and my reply was sent before I finished. I don't have a POST card so I can't determine what the problem is. The beeps are continuing long beeps that keep on until I turn the system off.

rdawise said:

August 13, 2009 1:18:20 AM

did you read the link I gave you which lists the beep codes for all the common BIOS?

August 13, 2009 1:59:06 PM

Yes, unfortunately, they are not very forthcoming about the Award Bios. I'm still searching. I've emailed the maker of the mobo as well.
Thanks.

Outlander_04 said:
did you read the link I gave you which lists the beep codes for all the common BIOS?

August 13, 2009 8:33:08 PM

efray01 said:
Yes, unfortunately, they are not very forthcoming about the Award Bios. I'm still searching. I've emailed the maker of the mobo as well.
Thanks.

its a memory error from your description

thats about as forthcoming as it needs to be

August 25, 2009 6:45:59 PM

I would like to thank all of you for your suggestions. None of them worked, but just so you know, I switched out the mobo and put everything back on my old one and it seems to be working fine for now. The only thing I can come up with is that the "new" mobo was defective in some way.

I do appreciate all of your help.
!