Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Does my system support SSD RAID0 TRIM?

Last response: in Storage
May 19, 2011 4:33:52 AM

Want to pick up a couple of SSDs to throw into RAID0 but I've read that getting TRIM in RAID0 wasn't possible until just recently and, thus, it's kind of hit or miss as to which setup will support it.

Mobo: Asus P6t
SSDs: OCZ Vertex Series OCZSSD2-1VTX30GXXX
64MB Onboard Cache
TRIM Support
Seek Time: < .1ms
RAID Support
RAID: Whatever comes onboard the P6t

From what I can tell, I think my system will support TRIM in RAID0, but I want to make sure before I purchase the SSDs.

Thanks!
May 19, 2011 5:22:51 AM

Anyone? My finger is really itching to click this "purchase" button. :p 
a c 256 G Storage
May 19, 2011 6:09:01 AM

To the best of my knowledge the Windows TRIM function is not yet available for solid state drives in a Raid array. Instead, the ssd's use their own garbage collection.
Related resources
May 19, 2011 6:12:06 AM

JohnnyLucky said:
To the best of my knowledge the Windows TRIM function is not yet available for solid state drives in a Raid array. Instead, the ssd's use their own garbage collection.

I think they do now. http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2010/03/23/intel-... I'm just not sure my rig supports it. My P6t is an Intel chipset, so it's looking good...I think.

Best solution

a c 256 G Storage
May 19, 2011 6:20:12 AM

That was an article with incorrect information.

Here is the correct information straight from Intel:

"It will support TRIM with SSDs in an AHCI configuration, or with the RAID controller enabled and the SSD is used as a pass through device. An example of this use case is for users that want to use the SSD as a boot drive but still be able to RAID multiple HDDs together to allow for large protect data storage – a great use for the home theater PC. TRIM support for SSDs in a RAID configuration is under investigation and is not included in Intel® RST 9.6."

May 19, 2011 6:32:11 AM

Ah! Wow! thanks! I'm glad I asked. I never would have known that otherwise.

I'm thinking of stringing two of these guys together. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Is there any option available to keep performance drop-offs to a minimum? I don't see that those SSDs have any native garbage collection present in their controllers.
May 23, 2011 12:04:35 AM

Best answer selected by jazzmac251.
!